Hammond and Willow Creek

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
I heard from two different sources that FBCH, under JS, sent some staff to Willow Creek (Hybels) to learn some things. The problem is I cannot remember who told me...  ;D  ...yeah, my memory is like that. If you know that to be true if you could either post it here or message me I would appreciate it. I told somebody that yesterday and they asked me for confirmation, so I either need to get that confirmation or I need to retract it. Thanks.

I was told that some staff went there when they were building the new auditorium for suggestions and advice on the building and on janitorial stuff but that is all I know.

BALAAM said:
I was told that some staff went there when they were building the new auditorium for suggestions and advice on the building and on janitorial stuff but that is all I know.

That makes sense.  When we were in our building project, we visited several non-Baptist churches for ideas and tips.

I was invited to go along, on the third trip, with JS and the rest of the maintenance staff heads, as well as the head of custodians.
The first trip was EL, JS, and others on the pastoral staff.
The second was the first crew plus Randy Ericsson.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
I was invited to go along, on the third trip, with JS and the rest of the maintenance staff heads, as well as the head of custodians.
The first trip was EL, JS, and others on the pastoral staff.
The second was the first crew plus Randy Ericsson.

Anishinaabe

So it was just building stuff?

Funny how the story changes when you gossip!

If they went when they were in construction, it couldn't have been Randy. Sparks for President would have been there during that time, he would know.

IFB X-Files said:
BALAAM said:

That makes sense.  When we were in our building project, we visited several non-Baptist churches for ideas and tips.

You stinkin', compromisin', ecumenical liberals.  Why would you need non-Baptist ideas and tips? 

You probably sew lace on your cleaning rags! 

:D 

patriotic said:
IFB X-Files said:
BALAAM said:

You stinkin', compromisin', ecumenical liberals.  Why would you need non-Baptist ideas and tips? 

You probably sew lace on your cleaning rags! 

:D

CALL A DOG A DOG, PREACHERETTE!!!!

They went all over the country.  They toured the buildings for construction ideas.

Another group went at a different time to help glean information for the "Where are we going" book.  They attended services, talked to leaders and interviewed people.

Binaca Chugger said:
Another group went at a different time to help glean information for the "Where are we going" book.  They attended services, talked to leaders and interviewed people.

That's a whole 'nuther animal, donchathink?

Tom Brennan said:
Binaca Chugger said:

That's a whole 'nuther animal, donchathink?

Not sure which direction you were going with the reference to attending Willow Creek

qwerty said:
If they went when they were in construction, it couldn't have been Randy. Sparks for President would have been there during that time, he would know.
It was Randy.  I was there, remember?  JS was standing in the shop, when they asked me to go.  S4P wasn't hired til the new aud. was almost finished. 
I'm talking about 2004.

Anishinabe

After the trips, a lot more than construction ideas were discussed.  And alot more than construction ideas were implemented.
Not all of the ideas they copied were bad, either.
Still don't why they wanted me to go.
I told them, that if I needed paint ideas, I'd go to a seminar Sherwin Williams was putting on, not Bill Hybels.
But I was really just making a statement, that I wasnt going along with the program.
Meddle not with those that be given to change.

Anishinabe

prophet said:
qwerty said:
I was there, remember? 

I know, I heard about their regret all the time.  ;)

So was I....  They wanted me to go on their venture to North Point not too long after.

The trips were pointless anyway....they had their own agenda regarding the building programs, and that was misguided.  I think of the power fiasco often.

qwerty said:
prophet said:
qwerty said:
I was there, remember? 

So was I....  They wanted me to go on their venture to North Point not too long after.

The trips were pointless anyway....they had their own agenda regarding the building programs, and that was misguided.  I think of the power fiasco often.
Yes, pointless was my thought, exactly.

Anishinabe

qwerty said:
prophet said:
qwerty said:
I was there, remember? 

Can you elaborate a bit more? What power fiasco? Why was it pointless?

I wish that IF a new building was needed that it could have been done closer to the crown point area myself.

Bravo said:
Can you elaborate a bit more? What power fiasco? Why was it pointless?

The church started taking more of a contractor role rather than a customer role.  Somehow in all the hubbub they came to the conclusion that that there was a miscalculation in the electrical service needs and they required additional electric.  I heard that this was initiated by the A/V guys.  Well, needless to say, they used a generator for awhile to make up this "difference".  After someone who knew how to work a calculator showed up with A&E they determined that the NIPSCO power that was being delivered was adequate.  The generator they had was pretty large, plus the fuel costs, I can only imagine the costs.  You might be able to provide some insight since you keep the lights on  :D

They went and sought advice from other ministries and did not take a lot of it.  They were specifically told NOT to purchase a used PA system and not to use the lighting control system they had spec'd.  They ended up spending after all the costs were calculated to fix a used system the amount it would have costs to install a new PA system.  They ended up having to purchase additional hardware to keep the lights on when the lighting system computer would crash.  Just a couple of the many technology issues they have had during and shortly after the construction.

Bravo said:
I wish that IF a new building was needed that it could have been done closer to the crown point area myself.

That was in Bro. Hyles long-term plan.  I wish I could locate that chapel message when he discussed his future and the future of the ministries.  It was a little more rosey that what happened.