History of FFF

TheRealJonStewart

Elect
Reaction score
Let us know a short summary of what you've seen in the old-FFF/new-FFF and how you became a member. What is the earliest memory of FFF forums?

I've posted brief articles about the history of the FFF from time to time. I should hunt them down and compile them into a longer, "official" history one of these days.

I've been part of some incarnation of the FFF since 1998. I originally came across it while doing some online research about KJV-onlyism. There were some pretty good theological discussions happening on that and other topics, so I stuck around.

I joined the old jackHyles.net forum way back when. Someone objected to some of the posts by non-Hyles members and attacked the forum with what I believe was a DDOS attack. I think the owner of the forum made a compromise with the hacker (actual hacker, not Hacker) and started a forum that became the fundamentalist forum. Back then, Vic Nischik and Voyle Glover openly posted  and very heated exchanges occurred regularly.

Frankly, I lost interest due to the extremes and the lack of anything resembling civil discussion. I returned to find that another hacker was using some automated scripting to post as I am am Angel(sic) and flooding the forum with unintelligible posts. I believe the current forum was started in response.

I rejoined when the Jack Schaap scandal hit. I found that it was possible to have discussions and even disagree without making it too personal. I gained respect for some  people  I disagree with and even care about people I have never met and probably never will.

Feel free to correct my timeline.

Norefund said:
I joined the old jackHyles.net forum way back when. Someone objected to some of the posts by non-Hyles members and attacked the forum with what I believe was a DDOS attack. I think the owner of the forum made a compromise with the hacker (actual hacker, not Hacker) and started a forum that became the fundamentalist forum.

I was "there" when the DOS attack happened. The FFF was actually offline for several weeks while Don dealt with it; the good folks at BaptistBoard gave us a temporary forum in the meantime. One result was that Bob Griffin became a regular over here for a time.

It was a fundy pastor named James Beller who complained, first, that the Jack Hyles Forum (the original name of the FFF) was populated by people who weren't hundred percenters. Don changed the name of the forum to the Fightin' Fundamentalist Forum, and while the specific words have changed from time to time, the "FFF" abbreviation has stuck. That still wasn't enough for Beller, and eventually Don moved the forum to a domain that didn't take Jack's name in vain.

I don't recall whether Beller was directly responsible (in whole or part) for the DOS attack. Seems to me that turned out to be some other anonymous clown. Possibly this clown?

TheRealJonStewart said:
Who were the founders of FFF and where are they now?

This guy.

He's a pastor on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. He effectively gave up up the reins of the forum when Hurricane Katrina destroyed his church and town, and he's devoted his time since to pastoring and helping rebuild the town. An all-around good guy.

Ransom said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

This guy.

He's a pastor on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. He effectively gave up up the reins of the forum when Hurricane Katrina destroyed his church and town, and he's devoted his time since to pastoring and helping rebuild the town. An all-around good guy.

Oh wow, respects to him for devoting more to rebuild his town after Katrina.

I've been here maybe since 2000. I have a lot of people from the forum on facebook. My name hasn't changed LOL!!  8)

TheRealJonStewart said:
Let us know a short summary of what you've seen in the old-FFF/new-FFF and how you became a member. What is the earliest memory of FFF forums?

I don't remember the year, but Eric Capaci had recently left Longview, and no one would explain why, so I searched the web and found this forum.

It was interesting to read about what was going on that was being kept from me and others.

I joined shortly thereafter and have been around, more-or-less ever since.

I used to enjoy the questions in the Fighting Forum, but lately, it seems a lot more like just political posturing.

I?m curious as to why a guy who appears to have no actual FBC or HAC experience would start a site called jackHyles.net.

Ransom said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

This guy.

Norefund said:
I?m curious as to why a guy who appears to have no actual FBC or HAC experience would start a site called jackHyles.net.

Don't know, or at least don't remember if Don ever specifically said why. Maybe it was interesting to him. The site also had Hyles' sermons and books on it. There was a point where Jacky-boy declared the Internet to be uv duh devil, and some of the more prominent pro-Hyles sites dutifully shut down. Maybe he was filling a gap.

I think Bob Gray has become the standard bearer for labeling "the demonic internet forums."

Ransom said:
Norefund said:

Don't know, or at least don't remember if Don ever specifically said why. Maybe it was interesting to him. The site also had Hyles' sermons and books on it. There was a point where Jacky-boy declared the Internet to be uv duh devil, and some of the more prominent pro-Hyles sites dutifully shut down. Maybe he was filling a gap.

I discovered the site as JH was dying.  Up to date information was very good, but the YMBAH thread was even better.  I read through the whole thing, but for some reason couldn't join.  I joined this one in 2012.  Met some people who challenged my thinking.  It was a good place to vent and laugh.  Still check back from time to time, but not with the same vigor.  Admittedly, I have become a slacker.

I came here because the Bible college i went to told me not too. Then i went here and and found out why. Admittedly not every accusation posted on FFF has been true but it does show the "dark manipulative " side of IFB pastors

I found the old incarnation looking online for information about the passing of Dr Hyles.
At that time, it was the wild, wild West!

Norefund said:

Ransom said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

This guy.

He went to HAC for a few years.

Binaca Chugger said:
I discovered the site as JH was dying.  Up to date information was very good, but the YMBAH thread was even better.  I read through the whole thing, but for some reason couldn't join.  I joined this one in 2012.  Met some people who challenged my thinking.  It was a good place to vent and laugh.  Still check back from time to time, but not with the same vigor.  Admittedly, I have become a slacker.
Admitting you are a slacker is the first step to coming back. "Shall we stand, the choir will sing, and you do business with he Lord."

Binaca Chugger said:

Also, I had a hard time joining the fff.com site, but eventually I was able to. I have been meaning to share my testimony, but I too have been slacking. Some of you old timers may have heard me share it before, but I will again someday soon.

Baptist City Holdout said:
... but I will again someday soon.

The organ is still playing but her hands are getting tired.

I have put this off long enough. It is time someone said it the way it should be said. Please close your Bibles and look up at me. I want to share my heart with you.

Well, folks, it was back in the late winter of 2008, and my heart was waxing nostalgic on some things Hyles Anderson. The old ditty, "Ain't Got No Brown Socks." That is where I stumbled upon the FFF.com site. Mind you this was not the first time I had visited the site. However, in the past my eyes were holden. They were fixed, and though I read the words, I did not understand.

This time element falls within  the first few weeks of the "You Might Be A HACker" thread. The material was flowing like honey out of the rock. My memories of HAC were surging to the top of my cranium. I read of this prophet by the name of Raider. While a newbie he nurtured me in how the form works. As a sage he warned me to take it all in slowly. I learned to step back and enjoy the ride.

There have been ups and downs. A few times I made people mad when it was not my intention. There have been friends made and lost to obscurity as forms lend towards. One of the first friends along the way was Just Mama. By the end of May 2008 she unexpectedly passed away. As people who knew her commented I realized I did know her in college and ye, by her real name.

Talk about the glory days of the forum. We really blazed the trail. Oh the nights Raider and I would pass out on HACker Island from drinking too much binaca. Out time in the spotlight made the IFB of the 1970's shrink in comparison.

I remember the ecumenical time when some BJ folks joined us. Cello Chick was a joy to read. There was Sheffey who brightened our day. Gone was with us. Teri in NC was all over the place. Patriotic stirred our hearts for the flag. Smellin' Coffee gave us a kick start. I'm afraid I'm leaving someone out. There was the guy who posted.... "If I called his name, everybody in the room would know him."

Then there were organizational problems. The main thing was no longer the main thing. I don't completely understand it but the domain was no longer dominant. I was adrift in a sea of despond.

Gladly, one day Raider emailed me and said the glory has returned on fff.org. I gladly signed up. No, we aren't quite as prolific as we were earlier. I hear there were forums before the .com, and I am sure there glory was even superior. We no longer have the largest form on the internet.
There was a time I could say the largest poster from Virginia posted on the FFF.
There was a time I could say the largest poster from North Carolina posted on the FFF.
There was a time I could say the largest poster from South Carolina posted on the FFF.
There was a time I could say the largest poster from Georgia posted on the FFF.
There was a time I could say the largest poster from Florida  posted on the FFF.
There was a time I could say the largest poster from Alabama posted on the FFF.
There was a time I could say the largest poster from Indiana  posted on the FFF. (I know. I go there sometimes.)

On and on I could go, but I can't say that anymore, because we got out of our game plan.

That my friends is my view of FFF history.
Pardon me. I must go as I have an appointment on HACker Island in a few hours with a very dear friend.