If I had it to do all over again - attend HAC?

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
If you could turn back the clock, would you have attended HAC?  Why?

If it means turning back the clock to only knowing what I knew at that time, then probably yes.

But, if I knew then what I know now, then no way would I attend there.  The "why's" are all over this forum.  So if I knew then what I know now, I would not attend ANY of the MAJOR IFB schools.  I'd pick a small school where the major emphasis would be learning the Bible.

Now, RAIDER, if you want to start an interesting thread, how about:

If I Had It To Do All Over Again - Marry the Same Woman?

I met my husband there my life would not be the same...

IFB X-Files said:
If it means turning back the clock to only knowing what I knew at that time, then probably yes.

But, if I knew then what I know now, then no way would I attend there.  The "why's" are all over this forum.  So if I knew then what I know now, I would not attend ANY of the MAJOR IFB schools.  I'd pick a small school where the major emphasis would be learning the Bible.

Now, RAIDER, if you want to start an interesting thread, how about:

If I Had It To Do All Over Again - Marry the Same Woman?

If you knew then what you know now.

I would if I truly believed God wanted me to go there. 

That's the same reason why I went there when I was 18. 

No!  I truly regret attending HAC, but I don't think my life is ruined by having done so.  I was so sure that attending HAC was God's will when I was 18 that I didn't even pray about it!

I like to think if I was 18 now I wouldn't go there, as in 2013, but I went in 1991. I didn't, of course, know all the details I do now, but I still think it was the best choice for me then. IOW, yes, if I was 18 again and it was 1991 again, even knowing all I know now, I would still go. On balance, it was very good for me. Now, whether it has been good for the IFB movement as a whole is an entirely different question...

No, I would not go there if I knew what I know now.  However, I am certain that is why I did not know then what I know now.  I didn't like some of the lessons I learned there (not from the classroom, but life).  But I certainly needed to learn them, and the LORD knew that.

As others have said, at that age, I was absolutely certain it was "the will of God."  Else I would not have gone.  And looking back, I am now just as certain that God took me through that deep, dark valley.  Praise the LORD that He did not leave me there.

If I knew that I would meet my husband elsewhere, I would not set my foot there.

But if not, it was worth all the drama for him. ♥

I would go although I did not learn as much Bible there as I would like to have, I learned some life's lessons that even the military didn't teach me.  I learned a great deal about how to be a man, to take responsibility, to love others, to work hard, faithfulness, and much more.  After seeing my real dad and knowing something about the child he did raise, I find myself much different than him, and I have to give the staff, faculty, and Brother Hyles some kudos for setting me in the right direction.

Didn't we already do this for PastorRyan?  See my answer there.

Binaca Chugger said:
Didn't we already do this for PastorRyan?  See my answer there.
We Hackers have short memories.

I contemplated it (my brother and sister both went), and decided against it. If I could do it all over again I still wouldn't go. So thankful I resisted the pressure to follow my siblings and just decided to go my own way.

How did that work out for you going your own way?

I chose not to go to H/A back in the day and I would certainally make the same decision again today.

Of course, I would not choose to go the the college that I chose to go to instead of H/A back in the day either.

If I had to do it over again, I would choose a different college. I would go for an accredited college and would have went for accounting, something HAC doesn't know anything about!

kaba said:
If I had to do it over again, I would choose a different college. I would go for an accredited college and would have went for accounting, something HAC doesn't know anything about!

I think she just called a dog a dog!

I have wonderful memories of my hac years and some wonderful people I wouldn't have met any other way. But, No. I wouldn't choose to go to hac again. I still have the same hunger for God and for the Bible and if I had to do it again I would rather go to a Bible college or seminary.

My son was chosen for a program in his church that all prospective small group leaders, elders, or deacons must go through before they can fill any of these spots. He has to read more books on Doctrine than I had to read my entire 4 years at hac. I mean, we read books there but it was all of jh's books, all Mrs. Evans books, a few others, and if Ray Young had written a book we would have sure had to read that. The only fairly heavy books were in "History of Christianity" for Bill Grady.