Important question about clothes people wear

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Now for some heavy conversation on apparel. No, this ain’t a thread about culottes, speedos and bikinis, or britches on wimmin. 😁

Why do young men wear hoodies over/upon their head indoors?

And why do they wear heavy hoodies along with shorts in subzero temperatures outdoors?

(things that make you go hmmmm)

Last edited:
Probably because it looks "gangsta".
And why do the wear heavy hoodies along with shorts in subzero temperatures outdoors?
Got me on that one.

I saw a kid yesterday in short sleeves not wearing a jacket as if it was a warm spring day. Mind you it was in the upper 30s with a stiff breeze. Maybe she had a blazing metabolism.

I don't understand having the hood up indoors - and it's both guys and girls I see doing that.

Back in my college days (long, long ago) at U of Cincy, I never understood how many of them wore shorts outdoors during the winter. My guess back then was that it was on-campus students just making a short walk to a class.

Back in my college days (long, long ago) at U of Cincy, I never understood how many of them wore shorts outdoors during the winter. My guess back then was that it was on-campus students just making a short walk to a class.
At one of the local universities, all the buildings are connected by tunnels. You don't have to go outside to get to and from class. So if you can wear it in the dorms, you can wear it in the lecture hall. The buildings are close enough together, too, that a short hop outside wouldn't be too uncomfortable. Just hope the fire alarm doesn't get pulled when you're across campus from your winter clothes.

Got me on that one.

I saw a kid yesterday in short sleeves not wearing a jacket as if it was a warm spring day. Mind you it was in the upper 30s with a stiff breeze. Maybe she had a blazing metabolism.
Yeah, many are looking for the gangsta image, but I’m seeing it more and more, even in the workplace, and I’m in a professional environment🤔

I don't understand having the hood up indoors - and it's both guys and girls I see doing that.

....a short walk to class?.....

:LOL::ROFLMAO:😅

Got me on that one.

it;s defintiely an attempt to look "gansgta".... the same as when they wear dark sunglasses indoors and even at night... . in fact most people wearing the hoodies at weird times are wearing the sunglasses too...... and walking around with their hands in the hoodie jackets pockets.... as if they had some kind of contraband object concealed... :cool: .:sneaky:

Last edited:
it;s defintiely an attempt to look "gansgta".... the same as when they wear dark sunglasses indoors and even at night... . in fact most people wearing the hoodies at weird times are wearing the sunglasses too...... and walking around with their hands in the hoodie jackets pockets.... as if they had some kind of contraband object concealed....:cool:

Sorry, but that’s your fault for the 80s flashback😁

Sorry, but that’s your fault for the 80s flashback😁
when i saw your post i was wondering how i missed hearing that song when i was a teenager.... . but then i listened to it and realized why.. 😦 🤮 .. ..but other than being a horrible song it did at least predict something..... .. at the 0.37 second mark there is a guy standing against the wall in sunglasses and wearing a hoodie... ...there is a hat over the hoodie but it;s definitly all there.... .....sorry for dredging up what has to be a very un-nostalgic memory... ....and to think that guy was a contemporary of bands like journey and U2.... ..just proves talent is not contageous.... even if bad clothing trends are.....😕 ;)

I've got nephews and nieces in their thirties that do this kind of thing. They say it's "the fashion" of the day...plus, it makes them look like rappers. UGH! Idiocy!

it;s defintiely an attempt to look "gansgta".... the same as when they wear dark sunglasses indoors and even at night...
Well, that's so they can watch you live and breathe your story lines.

(edit) LAYMAN's video's blocked for me. It actually is "Sunglasses at Night," isn't it? *sigh*

Well, that's so they can watch you live and breathe your story lines.

(edit) LAYMAN's video's blocked for me. It actually is "Sunglasses at Night," isn't it? *sigh*
yeah.... it;s "sunglasses at night".... i think it was so he could watch us weave and breathe our story lines?..... and i remember the line right after that was "so he could keep track of the visions in his eyes?"... ..... .i thought it was funny that he was singing "don;t mess around with the guy in shades - oh no"....as he is obviously being manhandled and dragged into a prison.... ....

which reminds me.... .. you don;t see prison fashion out there much anymore... guys walking around with their pants hanging down off their backside as if their belt was confiscated.. ..... and shuffling their feet along as if their shoelaces were taken away too .... it can still be seen but it;s kinda rare now.... .
..thankfully...

Now for some heavy conversation on apparel. No, this ain’t a thread about culottes, speedos and bikinis, or britches on wimmin. 😁

And why do they wear heavy hoodies along with shorts in subzero temperatures outdoors?

(things that make you go hmmmm)
Clothes make a statement about the person wearing them... even it is just who they follow.

We could interject pants down to their knees here too. I understand this practice has it's origin from life in prison, but I still fail to understand why anyone would want their underwear hanging out.

Regarding teens with hoodies, I'm seeing this fashion style in IB churches all over the country. Kids dressing up for Sunday service but then wearing a hoodie and leaving it on throughout the service.

I think teens, wearing their hood inside, is an attempt to avoid eye contact with other people or worse having to respond when someone speaks to you. Ear buds in all day every day at school, work and church as well as home should also be added to modern fashion trends I don't really understand.

Last edited:
We could interject pants down to their knees here too. I understand this practice has its origin from life in prison but I still fail to understand why anyone would want their underwear hanging out.

Regarding teens with hoodies, I'm seeing this fashion style in IB churches all over the country. Kids dressing up for Sunday service but then wearing a hoodie and leaving it on throughout the service.

I think wearing their hood inside is an attempt to avoid eye contact with other people or worse having to respond when someone speaks to you. Ear buds in all day every day at school, work and church as well as home should also be added to modern fashion trends I don't really understand.

I am in many ways (as judged by Hyles-style perspectives) not a very good IFB (wife don't wear only dresses, not militant on the KJV, listen to a variety of musical genres, etc) but some traditions die hard, and though I know you have to really be wise about which hill you will die on when it comes to those battles with teens, this is one that my kid knows not to violate. He is a bonafide hoodie wearer, but he only wears the hood up for the conventional weather-related reasons, never indoors (at least not around me or in church). The fad when I was a kid was to wear high-top tennis shoes with the shoestrings unlaced. My dad wouldn't let me do that, claiming it led to (at least an appearance of) laziness and lack of character. I don't know whether there was much truth to that, but I respected/feared my dad enough not to follow my peers lead in that department. And in that little moral parable I think lies some of the truth, that youth often resort to challenging institutional wisdom, and to the extent that they rebel against ALL (or the majority) of common sense passed on to them is a partial barometer for the level of disrespect that will be measurable in a given generation, and I see LOTS of disrespect and casual contempt for elderly/mature culture in this generation.

Last edited:
We could interject pants down to their knees here too. I understand this practice has it's origin from life in prison, but I still fail to understand why anyone would want their underwear hanging out.

I think teens, wearing their hood inside, is an attempt to avoid eye contact with other people or worse having to respond when someone speaks to you. Ear buds in all day every day at school, work and church as well as home should also be added to modern fashion trends I don't really understand.
well..... not to get preachy or prudish here... but i was told by someone many of you know, that back in the day men were expected to remove their hats indoors and also when in the presence of ladies.. (something he still does to this day).. .. as well as being expected to observe many other common courtesies that were simply considered good manners back then.... and any man that failed to observe or practice those manners was considered to have had poor upbringing.....

fast forward to today when men wear their hats everywhere... indoors and out... regardless of who they are in the presence of ...and even when sitting down to a meal at a restaurant.... .. and it could make sense that kids nowdays - (who watch old movies from back in the day when those old customs were practiced - and have taken notice that not only is none of it is being done today.. but a kind of chronic rudeness has come into the general atmosphere to take it;s place)..... .. have started wearing hoodies everywhere they go.. dark glasses even at night....turning their hats around backwards... and not only doing a miriad of other things their elders find obnoxious but teaching their peers to do the same...

we use to buy a lot of surplus army clothing and other inexpensive wearables from an army-navy surplus store here in hawaii owned and operated by a vietnam veteran... . .he had a sign in front of his store that warned people to not even darken the door if they had their hat on backwards..their pants hanging off their backside... or were wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with an anti american or unpatriotic slogan..... this was long before 9-11 when patriotism became fashionable.... and he died before the wearing of hoodies everywhere became popular... or i am certain he would have included that too..... ...can you imagine someone trying to enforce rules like that in this day and age?..... it;s sad the things we lose when older generations pass away....

Last edited: