In All My Years At FBC This Was The First Time I Ever Saw This . . .

TidesofTruth

Elect
Reaction score
This morning, a boy who was going to be baptized was asked by the assistant pastor about his salvation experience. The queries are something in and of itself are new with pastor Wilkerson.  When the boy did not answer correctly the pastor turned him away and said he was not ready yet and needs to be dealt with further.

I've never seen this ever.  I saw once where someone was protesting being dunked and was dunked anyway.  I have seen tens of thousands who never gave a verbal testimony to their salvation who were baptized.  I have never seen a person turned away.  Not in any church BTW.

This is normally dealt with before you're going to be baptized........good job they weren't ready.

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree that they should probably not baptize everyone who happened to just maybe get lost and wander into the baptistery.

My former church (25 years ago) had a policy that any candidates for baptism had to meet with the deacons and give an account of their salvation experience. I was one of the deacons and we had a family with several boys with learning disabilities. They came as candidates but whenever they were asked a question they would just look around and not say anything. They froze up having to talk in front of people. Now they were not severely retarded and I have no doubt that they were saved at the time but we wouldn't allow them to be baptized and I have always felt kind of bad about it.

Thank God, Thank God, Thank God that Pastor Wilkerson had the courage to do what was right. That is much better than making that soul a "two fold child of Hell". This is some of the best news I have heard coming out of FBC in a long time.  I believe that person will be saved and FBC strengthened.

That is good news.  But I agree that the questioning should be done before you get in the tank.

Years ago it was my turn to preach at the prison chapel.  When we arrived the chapel leaders were doing a baptismal service.  They used a metal horse trough filled with cold water and would have the candidates sit in the water and they would grill them for around 5 minutes.  "What is your testimony"  "Are you saved"  Does baptism save you"  That is the only time I have ever seen a baptismal candidate grilled in public.  I have to admit I appreciated it.

The ones who answered correctly were baptized into the "United Church of the Convicted".  Truly an eclectic group.

I believe baptism is to immediately follow salvation, and that there shouldn't have to be a long involved drawn out process to prove the candidate worthy. But having said that, this clearly isn't that. Instead, this is simply being careful to establish the validity of a small child's understanding. And that is wonderful.

Such things may not seem much, but they speak volumes to the soul winners about handling people with care, explaining the Gospel thoroughly, and making sure there is an understanding before moving on to baptism. And FBCH has needed just that emphasis, needed it badly.

I'm very glad to hear this.

Tom Brennan said:
I believe baptism is to immediately follow salvation, and that there shouldn't have to be a long involved drawn out process to prove the candidate worthy. But having said that, this clearly isn't that. Instead, this is simply being careful to establish the validity of a small child's understanding. And that is wonderful.

Such things may not seem much, but they speak volumes to the soul winners about handling people with care, explaining the Gospel thoroughly, and making sure there is an understanding before moving on to baptism. And FBCH has needed just that emphasis, needed it badly.

I'm very glad to hear this.

IMO, in the book of Acts, when someone was baptized they were putting their life on the line and could be killed for identifying themselves with the body of believers, therefore proof of Salvation. 

Baptism today, well you get the point, I think?

FTR, at FBCH, the ass. pastor who is sent to talk to the person whose name was just read, has always had the responsibility and instruction to interview them. 

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
FTR, at FBCH, the ass. pastor who is sent to talk to the person whose name was just read, has always had the responsibility and instruction to interview them. 

Anishinaabe
As in pointing to the door to the baptistry?  ;)

I saw Dr. Lee Roberson turn people away in the same manner.  He directed Dr. Faulkner to speak further with the individual.

prophet said:

Anishinaabe
Hahahhaa.... It took me several times of reading this to get you were saying assistant, I thought you were calling the pastor an ass....
TBH When Jack baptized me IDK if I was ready at that point. Even now I sometimes question my salvation.. I am a far cry from a "perfect" Christian. I am trying to be a better one, but I really don't know what to do how to do it.... Sure I go to church each Sunday, I dedicate my time and know how to run the media, but so many years of saying it's BS I still have some thoughts that creep in. I really wish I had a mentor of sorts to show me more.... Back before the whole JS  fiasco I was supposed to start running with him and Bob Marshall as mentors. I don't like just reading the bible... I like to read it and talk about it, what I think it's  saying, what others think it is saying. IDK sometimes I just feel like I am not dong well as a Christian and wonder if I'm just going through the motions.

Techmedic said:
TBH When Jack baptized me IDK if I was ready at that point. Even now I sometimes question my salvation.. I am a far cry from a "perfect" Christian. I am trying to be a better one, but I really don't know what to do how to do it.... Sure I go to church each Sunday, I dedicate my time and know how to run the media, but so many years of saying it's BS I still have some thoughts that creep in. I really wish I had a mentor of sorts to show me more.... Back before the whole JS  fiasco I was supposed to start running with him and Bob Marshall as mentors. I don't like just reading the bible... I like to read it and talk about it, what I think it's  saying, what others think it is saying. IDK sometimes I just feel like I am not dong well as a Christian and wonder if I'm just going through the motions.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Simply study Jesus and learn of Him and let the rest go.  :)

Techmedic said:
prophet said:

Anishinaabe
Hahahhaa.... It took me several times of reading this to get you were saying assistant, I thought you were calling the pastor an ass....
You desire the sincere milk of the word...milk is meat that another eats, and then feeds you from the result. 
You desire peer group Bible Study.
You have questions, that need answers.

Sounds like the typical stunted growth in our modernist IFB churches.

I hope that you find a friend who knows how to disciple you, this post breaks my heart.

Anishinaabe

[quote author=Techmedic 

[/quote]
[/quote]
This disappointment sounds like the result of getting your eyes on men instead of The Savior. Isa. 2:22 "Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of?"

Jesus is The Creator, The risen living Son of God who is always faithful, always true, able to save, able to heal hearts hurt by sin & others with His great love. Jesus is The Rock upon which we can stand. Dive into The Word & into His grace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqd8MoiCbcI

prophet said:

Anishinaabe
The ass. pastor?  ???

TidesofTruth said:
This morning, a boy who was going to be baptized was asked by the assistant pastor about his salvation experience. The queries are something in and of itself are new with pastor Wilkerson.  When the boy did not answer correctly the pastor turned him away and said he was not ready yet and needs to be dealt with further.

I've never seen this ever.  I saw once where someone was protesting being dunked and was dunked anyway.  I have seen tens of thousands who never gave a verbal testimony to their salvation who were baptized.  I have never seen a person turned away.  Not in any church BTW.

This is because, you have only been a part of the Hyles side of the IFB.

Bruh said:

This would be totally and completely inaccurate.

TidesofTruth said:
Bruh said:

Well, I have been a part of the other side of the IFB and my experience tells me that not everyone gets dunked that says a prayer.  That view is criticized by the Hyles side but the ppl that do get Baptized for some reason stick around.  My experience is that the other side of the IFB is very slow to baptize someone. 

Therefore the Pastor does not have to get up and "Brow Beat" everyone to stay in-line.  Because ppl in the pew are Born Again and haven't just said some prayer. 

The Hyles side seem to think that there is only one kind of hard preaching like against going to the movies, women in pant, standards and or drinking alcohol.  And all of this must be preached on once a year or the pastor is a liberal.   

Bruh said:
TidesofTruth said:
Bruh said:

Well, I have been a part of the other side of the IFB and my experience tells me that not everyone gets dunked that says a prayer.  That view is criticized by the Hyles side but the ppl that do get Baptized for some reason stick around.  My experience is that the other side of the IFB is very slow to baptize someone. 

Therefore the Pastor does not have to get up and "Brow Beat" everyone to stay in-line.  Because ppl in the pew are Born Again and haven't just said some prayer. 

The Hyles side seem to think that there is only one kind of hard preaching like against going to the movies, women in pant, standards and or drinking alcohol.  And all of this must be preached on once a year or the pastor is a liberal. 

I guess you need that when many may not be born again.

It seems that the public professions and the thorough questioning is very similar to what Lee Roberson did in Chattanooga and Clarence Sexton does in Powell, TN. 

But when Roy Moffitt questions a candidate for baptism in the water, is that the convert's first public profession or has that candidate already been questioned by the pastor from the pulpit?