In All My Years At FBC This Was The First Time I Ever Saw This . . .

tobytyler said:
It seems that the public professions and the thorough questioning is very similar to what Lee Roberson did in Chattanooga and Clarence Sexton does in Powell, TN. 

But when Roy Moffitt questions a candidate for baptism in the water, is that the convert's first public profession or has that candidate already been questioned by the pastor from the pulpit?

He does it from the pulpit after he reads the decision slip.

Was the kid turned back when already at the baptistry?!? I too was glad when I first heard of Pastor Wilkerson's policy of making as sure as possible that the dunkee-to-be knew what they were doing and understood salvation. I was just a bit surprised to hear back then that in would be re-done at the point of baptism when they're already standing in the water.. I not sure that a public turning away is called for if the verification process were handled fully before they step up there to the baptistry.

tobytyler said:
It seems that the public professions and the thorough questioning is very similar to what Lee Roberson did in Chattanooga and Clarence Sexton does in Powell, TN. 

But when Roy Moffitt questions a candidate for baptism in the water, is that the convert's first public profession or has that candidate already been questioned by the pastor from the pulpit?
Yeah,  but is not baptism itself already your public profession of faith? Did Philip grill the Ethiopian Eunuch one last time at the water just before baptizing?

Pray for that kid that he not distance himself from Christ due to what might, just might, be the start of man-made added requirements, ritual or provisos to what should be simple process.

Last 3 churches I have attended, they have a baptism class for people wanting to be baptized. One church it covered 2 Sundays but the other two churches, just a single 45-minute class.

In all 3 of these different venues, at the baptism itself, the person being baptized would either read his testimony before immersion or just give a verbal testimony of salvation.

Baptism isn't pushed on anybody and it seems there aren't any "surprises" during the baptism service. Oh, and one of the churches actually held baptism on the beach of Lake Michigan as a testimony to the lost on the beach. :)

usmjam said:
Was the kid turned back when already at the baptistry?!? I too was glad when I first heard of Pastor Wilkerson's policy of making as sure as possible that the dunkee-to-be knew what they were doing and understood salvation. I was just a bit surprised to hear back then that in would be re-done at the point of baptism when they're already standing in the water.. I not sure that a public turning away is called for if the verification process were handled fully before they step up there to the baptistry.

tobytyler said:

Yeah,  but is not baptism itself already your public profession of faith? Did Philip grill the Ethiopian Eunuch one last time at the water just before baptizing?

Pray for that kid that he not distance himself from Christ due to what might, just might, be the start of man-made added requirements, ritual or provisos to what should be simple process.

No but it is my understanding that if someone was identifying themselves by baptism with Christ/Christianity they were putting their lives in danger. 

IMO, that would be proof enough of one's salvation.  No need for classes or questioning, the danger they were putting themselves in was enough, don't you think?

Today a person can get baptized every five minutes. 

My grandmother grew up in a devout Catholic home.  She at one time in her life was going to be a Nun.  Long story short, she was saved years later and her family disowned her for some time for being "baptized" at a Baptist church. 

She knew what it was to believe in something strong enough that she was willing to suffer for it. Did she need a time a proving? Her being disowned from her family was testing enough.  You see my grandmother was Born Again. So, should there be a time of testing? Yes, I strongly believe so. 

Take scripture within context.