Is instrumental rock music immoral (bad)?

Is instrumental rock music immoral (bad)?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, none of the time

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Maybe, sometimes yes...sometimes no

• Other...please explain

• Total voters
ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:
What is being communicated by the first simple drum beat on the video linked below?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_jT57LdAHUs

Before I enter this tango with you :D I'd like to get a minor clarification before proceeding.  With your question and linked video are you denying that music communicates a message?

The alphabet, viewed in isolation, communicates *something* (relating to intelligence and design), albeit at an infintesimally reductionistic level.  But when those letters are composed, strung together by a moral creature, they form a coherent message (usually :D) that has some form of morality attached to it.  Musical notes can be thought of in the same manner.  And beyond that introductory qualifying statement, instrumental music most certainly does effect the emotions.  Are you denying that emotions are a part of morality?

Since it is your contention that music communicates a message. What was the message from that simple drum beat?

"The alphabet, viewed in isolation, communicates *something* (relating to intelligence and design), albeit at an infintesimally reductionistic level." So would the alphabet itself be considered moral or immoral? Would you consider musical notes clean or unclean?

"But when those letters are composed, strung together by a moral creature, they form a coherent message (usually :D) that has some form of morality attached to it. " So the moral creature would give both words and music morality, not the music itself?

But do immoral people only put forth immorality? Or to put it in the opposite do moral people only put forth morality? Or do immoral people do moral things and moral people do immoral things?

So a Christian with the heart intention of honoring God could play CCM and it would be moral as opposed to being immoral? Would you agree?

I am not sure what moral music sounds like just like I don't know what immoral music sounds like. I can tell you that there are genres of music that I don't care for but that doesn't make them moral or immoral.

Emotions are a part of morality.

If we were living in the 50's or the 60's then many arguments about rock music and the rebellion and the drugs could be made, not necessarily a hard fast rule, but they would have a little merit. It is 2016 so those arguments, in my opinion don't hold up. Especially when I listen to Building 429...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplX5FDDuH0

Mathew Ward said:
Since it is your contention that music communicates a message. What was the message from that simple drum beat?

What message is communicated by the letter "A"?  Is it an indefinite article?  A letter grade for a test?  Symbolic of a woman caught in adultery?  All the above?  The answer is that it depends upon context intent of the author.  Music is much the same.  Rock music (which is an overly broad term in and of itself) can be moral, or immoral, just as drumbeats strung together.

Mathew Ward said:
Especially when I listen to Building 429...

I like "Where I Belong", and don't have a blanket condemnation of any particular musical genre per se (except maybe rap and death metal ;)).

ALAYMAN said:
I like "Where I Belong", and don't have a blanket condemnation of any particular musical genre per se (except maybe rap and death metal ;)).

What about metallic death rap? ;)

No words. Lots of energy. Not sure if it immoral or  not but is sure fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Rdo0xhtNo

ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:

What message is communicated by the letter "A"?  Is it an indefinite article?  A letter grade for a test?  Symbolic of a woman caught in adultery?  All the above?  The answer is that it depends upon context intent of the author.  Music is much the same.  Rock music (which is an overly broad term in and of itself) can be moral, or immoral, just as drumbeats strung together.

Mathew Ward said:
Especially when I listen to Building 429...

Can you give me an example of immoral drumbeats?

aleshanee said:
Billy said:
I really need to burn my new complete work of The Carpenter's....that's immoral music right there.

Billy

No, not immoral but hey man, it is the Carpenters. You really shouldn't let that get out.

Jubal Sackett

but they;re not instrumental....  ??? ...... they are not even rock and roll..... ........  that;s easy listening channel stuff.......  8)

Jubal Sackett said:
aleshanee said:
Billy said:
I really need to burn my new complete work of The Carpenter's....that's immoral music right there.

Billy

No, not immoral but hey man, it is the Carpenters. You really shouldn't let that get out.

Jubal Sackett

but they;re not instrumental....  ??? ...... they are not even rock and roll..... ........  that;s easy listening channel stuff.......  8)

No, that's elevator music stuff at best, dentist office stuff at worst.

Jubal Sackett

Mathew Ward said:

Not any more than you can give me examples of immoral letter "A"'s.  String some of those beats/letters together in you have a message that communicates.  Communication is moral.

I love how we have these threads where little or no Bible used.

Lots of opinion.

Tim said:
I love how we have these threads where little or no Bible used.

Lots of opinion.

Jesus wept.

Happy?

;)

ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:

Not any more than you can give me examples of immoral letter "A"'s.  String some of those beats/letters together in you have a message that communicates.  Communication is moral.

But you said earlier "Rock music (which is an overly broad term in and of itself) can be Rock music (which is an overly broad term in and of itself) can be moral, or immoral, just as drumbeats strung together."

So I was hoping to see or hear the drumbeats strung together that are immoral.

I think the difference is that I don't think a letter or a word in and of itself is moral/immoral or clean/unclean. Just as I don't think music in and of itself is moral/immoral or clean/unclean.

XX XX XX XX xxxx XX xxxx XX aAaA

Sorry, forgive me.  :-X

Mathew Ward said:
ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:

But you said earlier "Rock music (which is an overly broad term in and of itself) can be Rock music (which is an overly broad term in and of itself) can be moral, or immoral, just as drumbeats strung together."

I think the difference is that I don't think a letter or a word in and of itself is moral/immoral or clean/unclean. Just as I don't think music in and of itself is moral/immoral or clean/unclean.

The author's intent counts for something, does it not?  There certainly is some ambiguity and subjectivity to comprehending the message (unless it is told by the author) but it is not anything new to our understanding that academia has revealed that music affects emotions/mood, at a minimum.

ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:
ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:

The author's intent counts for something, does it not?  There certainly is some ambiguity and subjectivity to comprehending the message (unless it is told by the author) but it is not anything new to our understanding that academia has revealed that music affects emotions/mood, at a minimum.

Even with all of that. Can you still provide some immoral drumbeats?

Mathew Ward said:
ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:
ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:

You should ask you Pastor what your music standard is.... ;)

Mathew Ward said:

Not any more than you can find me some immoral letter "A"s (detached from their context and just dangling in abstract space). ;)

subllibrm said:
XX XX XX XX xxxx XX xxxx XX aAaA

Sorry, forgive me.  :-X

I know you were joking, but I don't think my point could have been better illustrated.  Thanks.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:
ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:

You should ask you Pastor what your music standard is.... ;)

I thought you should ask all the other pastors at your church what your music standard is...  ;)

ALAYMAN said:
Mathew Ward said:

Not any more than you can find me some immoral letter "A"s (detached from their context and just dangling in abstract space). ;)

The difference is that I don't think the letter A is immoral or moral.

Since you hold to th opinion of immoral drumbeats, I figured you could provide some. If not then I guess I could conclude they don't exist or maybe they are amoral.