Is Local Church With Membership Biblical?

praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:
Voting, for one.  Or do you allow any person who shows up to make policy at your church(s)?

Yeah. I found that in the Scripture just the other day....  ::)

You didn't answer the question.  Should any Tom, Dick, and Harry be able to make policy at a church, simply because they show up and say "I'm a member of the universal church"?

p_Y said:
I knew that. Your pastor might be..... :)

Only in your over-active creative imagination. :)

Ransom said:
"Accountability to God" means never having to say I'm sorry I set up that unauthorized personal communion booth in the foyer.

It wasn't in the foyer..... and it was authorized.

I'm sorry for it Ransom.

ALAYMAN said:
You didn't answer the question.  Should any Tom, Dick, and Harry be able to make policy at a church, simply because they show up and say "I'm a member of the universal church"?

Should just anyone be able to vote that has joined the church?

Ultimately, you know this doesn't happen.

praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:

I've gained respect for you over the years.  You know that.  But respecting you, I have to call bovine excrement.  You are avoiding the question.  Last time.  Should any person who attends a corporate Christian assembly be afforded a vote based on their own word/profession of being a Christian?

ALAYMAN said:
praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:

I've gained respect for you over the years.  You know that.  But respecting you, I have to call bovine excrement.  You are avoiding the question.  Last time.  Should any person who attends a corporate Christian assembly be afforded a vote based on their own word/profession of being a Christian?

I did answer your question. I understand the concern. However, most churches accept membership based solely on a confession of faith. Just because someone joins a church..... does it mean they should vote?

You could make a call for membership before the vote and let them vote.... :)

I do see the danger of letting just anyone off the street be a voting member. In practice, I don't see much of a difference between the two. I suppose there could be a time when someone decided to disrupt the proceedings and make a mess.... but that can happen either way. It usually not those "without" that cause the problem. Its those "within".

praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:
praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:

I did answer your question. I understand the concern. However, most churches accept membership based solely on a confession of faith. Just because someone joins a church..... does it mean they should vote?

I do see the danger of letting just anyone off the street be a voting member. In practice, I don't see much of a difference between the two. I suppose there could be a time when someone decided to disrupt the proceedings and make a mess.... but that can happen either way. It usually not those "without" that cause the problem. Its those "within".

My point in asking the question was to emphasize that the relationship that is forged in the process of membership (accountability and such being a large part of that relationship) tells us that somebody is indeed the real deal, or "one of us".  If a person says they are a Christian but is for abortion, gay rights, and a host of other sinful activities then they won't retain their membership status for long (per Matt 18), and as such, won't cause a liberal drift into ultimately apostasy.

ALAYMAN said:
praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:
praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:

My point in asking the question was to emphasize that the relationship that is forged in the process of membership (accountability and such being a large part of that relationship) tells us that somebody is indeed the real deal, or "one of us".  If a person says they are a Christian but is for abortion, gay rights, and a host of other sinful activities then they won't retain their membership status for long (per Matt 18), and as such, won't cause a liberal drift into ultimately apostasy.

I just don't see that many "infiltrators". Besides, anyone can change their mind at about any time.

There are usually bylaws in place that prevent such things. I have nothing against a local church having such bylaws. Ultimately it comes down to the fact.... that at most any church.... the pastor and the deacons have already narrowed the process down to whatever they want. If they don't get what they recommend, then there is going to be trouble. :)

Not always, but generally.

I'm a "member" of the familial church even though I haven't attended for fifteen years outside of visiting my parents.

praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:
praise_yeshua said:
I never said anything against corporate worship. What does corporate worship have to do with church membership? I don't flash my member card to attend service and worship God.

Mea culpa, I misread you.

I revert back to the accountability statement.  A good many anti-membership people don't like to be held to the covenant pledge(s) of a local body.  It's the same mentality that some folk have in regards to rules and authority in general, like showing up to work "for the man".  Some are more prone to be lone-wolf types that like less structure.

Funny how you mention "covenant pledge".....

Every time I see one of those posted in some church somewhere...... I can't help but think of how the "New Covenant" isn't GOOD ENOUGH for them.

It certainly is for me. Why isn't the "New Covenant" written blood.... good enough for you?

That isn't quite the point -- with so many churches of different stripes and different takes on the Scripture, the church covenant gives one a clear indication of where a church stands -- quite like the church labels, like Methodist or Baptist or Lutheran.  I prefer to know where a church stands.

Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:
ALAYMAN said:
praise_yeshua said:
I never said anything against corporate worship. What does corporate worship have to do with church membership? I don't flash my member card to attend service and worship God.

Mea culpa, I misread you.

I revert back to the accountability statement.  A good many anti-membership people don't like to be held to the covenant pledge(s) of a local body.  It's the same mentality that some folk have in regards to rules and authority in general, like showing up to work "for the man".  Some are more prone to be lone-wolf types that like less structure.

Funny how you mention "covenant pledge".....

Every time I see one of those posted in some church somewhere...... I can't help but think of how the "New Covenant" isn't GOOD ENOUGH for them.

It certainly is for me. Why isn't the "New Covenant" written blood.... good enough for you?

That isn't quite the point -- with so many churches of different stripes and different takes on the Scripture, the church covenant gives one a clear indication of where a church stands -- quite like the church labels, like Methodist or Baptist or Lutheran.  I prefer to know where a church stands.

Yeah. The new covenant isn't good enough for you.

Not all Baptist or Methodists believe the same. You're kidding yourself if you think they do. Comparing a Lutheran to them.... is rather useless.

The church covenant isn't anything more than adding to the authority of Scripture. There is ALWAYS.... someone.... that wants to stand out in the crowd of believers. I guess you're one of them. I'll just blend in and not feel bad about it.

Yes, I didn't notice that the thread was that old...
I always thought that membership was one of those necessities that arose once a town had multiple churches... even more so today, when one can drive through 2 to 5 or more cities on the way to his church.
However, the fact of I Tim 5:9 certainly seems to indicate that the early church was quite careful to have members that would honor and glorify God. (It's a shame that some churches are in such a rush to bulk up numbers, and let people in)