Is WHBC still KJV only?

T

TruthBearer

I have heard through the grapevine that Tommy Boy had a special speaker, (I think it was last week sometime). One of the remaining few members preached (the Plunkster, someone Jimbo brags about a lot in his rambling emails). 

He used a different version of the Bible to preach out of and two families got up and left in the middle of the service because of this.

I am not sure what version he has been accused of using but it was said it was not KJV.

Has anyone else heard anything on this?

TruthBearer said:
I have heard through the grapevine that Tommy Boy had a special speaker, (I think it was last week sometime). One of the remaining few members preached (the Plunkster, someone Jimbo brags about a lot in his rambling emails). 

He used a different version of the Bible to preach out of and two families got up and left in the middle of the service because of this.

I am not sure what version he has been accused of using but it was said it was not KJV.

Not heard anything but I would doubt that Tom and WHBC/OBC has changed their position on the topic.

I remember once many, many, many, many years ago in OBC chapel an event like this.  JAV was out of town and not going to be in for his normal Thursday time in chapel so he had a guest preacher in.  This preacher used a version other than the KJV and everyone just looked at each other.  Tough guy Ross nor any of the other staffers said a word.  The next day at the beginning of chapel the big guy came in and ranted that had he been here he would have kicked the guys backside out the door and that we all are a bunch of pansies for not walking out on him.  yada yada yada

TruthBearer said:

There is some truth to this. Earlier this summer the banker that helped them get their special 1 year payments to the bank preached at the church. He is a Church of Christ and used a different version. After that a family left the church. Here recently another family left but they have been on the fence for a while and finally decided it was time to move on.

That banker dude has been reeling in the WHBC/OBC property for quite some time now.  He knows they are now at the tipping point of foreclosure and he is waiting in the wings for the property. In the mean time his bank gets thousands a month in an interest only payment from them.  He is smiling all the way to his office

I had also heard that some churches (wasn't given a number or how many just some) were sending letters to missionaries that have been sent out of WHBC letting them know if they don't change sending churches their support will be terminated, and one missionary has already changed sending churches.

TruthBearer said:
I had also heard that some churches (wasn't given a number or how many just some) were sending letters to missionaries that have been sent out of WHBC letting them know if they don't change sending churches their support will be terminated, and one missionary has already changed sending churches.

Don't know about the letter but I do know that there have been a few that have changed sending churches and mission boards.

I heard someone say over a decade ago that WHBC/OBC was slowly dying from a self inflicted mortal wound!!

oh so true

It appears others are catching on to their shenanigans and seeing how the church is run, especially since Tommy took over. Reminds me of what happened Jeroboam after his dad Soloman turned from God and had many wives.  Jeroboam had nothing but trouble and lost it all, he tried to be tougher than his dad too and rule with an iron fist, and the stings of scropions following the advice of young men rather than the older and wiser men.

As ole Jimbo would always say "Time will tell".

I heard all this from a former staff member.

TruthBearer said:
It appears others are catching on to their shenanigans and seeing how the church is run, especially since Tommy took over. Reminds me of what happened Jeroboam after his dad Soloman turned from God and had many wives.  Jeroboam had nothing but trouble and lost it all, he tried to be tougher than his dad too and rule with an iron fist, and the stings of scropions following the advice of young men rather than the older and wiser men.

Great story, but I think you mean Rehoboam, not Jeroboam

That is so true of him.  Seeking and listening to the advice of the young men/his buddies and not listening to the seasoned older men's wisdom.

Walt said:
TruthBearer said:

Great story, but I think you mean Rehoboam, not Jeroboam

Check I Kings chapter 13 and 14 the prophecy was against Jeroboam for his evil.

I vote on Rehoboam myself as he was the one who foolishly ignored the advice of his elder wise men and relied on his younger friends and played the fool in 1 Kings 12  which is the example you gave.

From OBC's webpage:

Position on the King James Bible

The Bible is the verbally inspired, infallible, inerrant Word of the living God and is the final authority in all matters of faith, doctrine, and practice. Not only was it inspired when God caused it to be written, but it is preserved today.

The King James Bible is the Word of God and is reliable, trustworthy, accurate, and proven. The King James Bible is the only Bible used and upheld in all teaching and preaching at Oklahoma Baptist College and is the only Bible sold in our bookstore.

Although we take this position on the King James Bible, we do not fall into the censorious character of many of our brethren who take this same position on the Bible.

Just me said:
From OBC's webpage:

Although we take this position on the King James Bible, we do not fall into the censorious character of many of our brethren who take this same position on the Bible.

Seriously??? HAHA got a good laugh out of that sentence.

JustABigKid said:
Just me said:
From OBC's webpage:

Seriously??? HAHA got a good laugh out of that sentence.

lol me too!!!!!

They are the most "censorious/judgmental" place I have ever been associated with.  Everything from the smile on your face to pantyhose on ladies is judged and critiqued.

Ok I stand corrected I got my 'boam's' mixed up. Getting up at 3 am to start the day doesn't let my brain rest enough. Jeroboam's dad was Nebat, Rehoboam's was Solomon.

TruthBearer said:
Ok I stand corrected I got my 'boam's' mixed up. Getting up at 3 am to start the day doesn't let my brain rest enough. Jeroboam's dad was Nebat, Rehoboam's was Solomon.

No biggie.  Your point is spot on though about Tom, his pride and him listening to the young men and not the advice of his elders.  Know a staff member who Tom was doing all he could to buddy up to after daddy Vineyard kicked Porter out the door.  This staffer said Tom was in the process of choosing who his staff would be and was looking at young fellas and friends from his college days. Interesting thing is that it was the younger men and not the elder that called Tom out over his sexual misconduct.  The older dudes are still there.

I guess it should be of no surprise.

It appears the double standard continues for Tom and WHBC/OBC. This time concerning the use of other translations.

Seems Tommy Boy in fact does continue to let preaching form WHBC pulpit in a version other than the KJV continue.

When anyone speaks out he just tells them to follow along in their KJV and not worry about it.

Hmmmm  wonder if that will apply to other standards as well?

Just me said:
I guess it should be of no surprise.

It appears the double standard continues for Tom and WHBC/OBC. This time concerning the use of other translations.

Seems Tommy Boy in fact does continue to let preaching form WHBC pulpit in a version other than the KJV continue.

When anyone speaks out he just tells them to follow along in their KJV and not worry about it.

Hmmmm  wonder if that will apply to other standards as well?

If the story is true (that a guest preacher was allowed to come in and preach out of another Bible) it seems that things are starting to slip there.