Jack Hyles

Hyles was a great motivator! If he hadn't helped motivate many pastors to start bus ministries, my family would probably have never come to know Christ back in the early 70s. He also helped many get a Bible college education. I can't say I agree with a lot of what he did or said, but I do give credit where credit is due. We ALL have a sin nature, and even King David made his mistakes...yet God used him, and is continuing to use him today! I believe the same can be said of Hyles.

I was remembering the old days and got a bit nostalgic for Bro. Hyles' sermons. He could deliver a message better than most preachers I've heard. He stirred the crowds and motivated many to follow Christ. I've often thought of the bad but this morning, I'm remembering the good.
Sadly he was an imposter who fooled us all. And covered for his son all the while knowing of his destructive life destroying others in his path. Its sad no one stood up to him and it just shows how we all followed in line. Until we left and looked from another side. There were several people who called him out but they were discarded as liars.

Sadly he was an imposter who fooled us all. And covered for his son all the while knowing of his destructive life destroying others in his path. Its sad no one stood up to him and it just shows how we all followed in line. Until we left and looked from another side. There were several people who called him out but they were discarded as liars.
You go, girl!

I remember the first time I learned of all of the incidents at HAC/FBCH...I, at first, found it hard to believe, but after looking at the bigger picture, and after Hyles had come to MBBC in Watertown, Wisconsin for chapel services, I KNEW that what was being said was true. I was so disgusted at that time. Hyles, like many other IFB preachers, was left unchecked in his power and his ability to do things that many other preachers in smaller churches would have NEVER gotten away with. He helped increase the immorality in the pulpits of America, and that's a shame. He'll have to answer for that. We have to answer on how we've responded to what we've learned as far as the truth, and how we've responded in going on for God. When Mr. Hyles told many of us in the gymatorium at MBBC that Dr. Cedarholm was pretty much "losing his marbles" and that Arno Weniger Jr was going to be the next president of the college, and that we all needed to leave and come to HAC/FBCH, I lost all faith in and respect for him. I had friends who had written me from HAC and told me about David Hyles' exploits as well, and that was very disconcerting. Yet, I know of many people who went to HAC/FBCH who turned out to be very fine, God fearing and Christ serving Christians. God uses whom he will in spite of themselves.

What year did the incident at MBBC occur? Did Jack Hyles really speak that way about Dr. Cedarholm from the chapel platform of MBBC?

When I heard about Dave Hyles' shenanigans at Miller Road Baptist Church in Garland, Texas, I simply couldn't believe it at first. I wrote to friends in Garland who were members of that church (and I had attended that church while visiting them, and heard Jack Hyles preach there) and they wrote back and told me that yes, it was all true about Dave Hyles. As a former IFB, I have no particular desire to return to that movement as long as it cannot or will not disassociate itself from Jack Hyles and his legacy. Yes, I was fooled too and was an admirer and supporter of Jack Hyles, and I sold his books in my Christian bookstore. I was taken in by Hyles and I admit it. The truth has been out concerning Hyles for more than 30 years now, but many IFBs continue to venerate him and I have a problem with that.

My faith in God is not based upon man. If it were we would have walked along time ago. I still attend a IFB church and love my pastor . We have been there over 20 years. I learned never put your faith in man they will up and leave and the church changes in a heart beat.

What year did the incident at MBBC occur? Did Jack Hyles really speak that way about Dr. Cedarholm from the chapel platform of MBBC?
I never said Hyles spoke about Dr. C from the platform that way. He did, however, speak to a group of about thirty of us after chapel, my ex-fiance included (I had been engaged to a Sr. at the college that year), and he, at that point was very disrespectful in his attitude towards Dr. Cedarholm. I was shocked beyond belief, as were the others. He was sneaky in his comments about Dr. Cedarholm from the platform, praising him as a great servant of the Lord, etc., but that was just around the same time he had been told that he was being fired as a board member of MBBC. He didn't like Arno Weniger, Jr., and that was apparent. He said that Dr, Weniger would ruin the college. Seems to me Dr. Weniger did a great job in building the college up, and keeping the vision of Dr. Cedarholm alive. I've not set foot on the campus of HAC or gone to visit FBCH since.

Judge<
If that happened it is not only unethical, but directly contrary to what he taught.
I heard him, on several occasions, say when he stood in another mans platform part of his responsibility was to lift that man up to his people not criticize him.
I'm not sure he felt the same way in nationwide conferences, but when preaching for another pastor he taught you were responsible to lift that man up and help him if you could.
Did you her him say this yourself or is that what your ex told you he said, just asking.

Judge<
If that happened it is not only unethical, but directly contrary to what he taught.
I heard him, on several occasions, say when he stood in another mans platform part of his responsibility was to lift that man up to his people not criticize him.
I'm not sure he felt the same way in nationwide conferences, but when preaching for another pastor he taught you were responsible to lift that man up and help him if you could.
Did you her him say this yourself or is that what your ex told you he said, just asking.

Please got back and read my statements....I was CLEAR that I was there. I also know what JH taught, and I know what he did...two different things. It's a shame he was left unchecked for so long and that people gave him "godlike" status. I wouldn't make such a statement if I hadn't heard it myself. JH was also a customer of my parents and got some of his Western wear from their store. I'd heard a LOT more than I wanted to hear him say that wasn't in line with Scripture. We all have feet of clay, and as I stated, I still, to some degree, have an affection for Hyles' motivational skills, as if he hadn't motivated people to start bus ministries back in the 70s, my family probably would NEVER have come to know Christ. Also...you state that Hyles taught certain things,...and indeed he did...he taught against fornication and adultery, yet he covered up David's sins and passed him off onto another church, and then he was involved with his own secretary. That was part of the reason that MBBC was having him removed as a member of their board. He didn't always "practice" what he taught. Now concerning the "judge" that you put at the top of your statement...the Bible says by their fruits you will know them...and by his fruit he was known....

Average Joe, just curious, do you have any insight as to why Jack Hyles didn't like Arno Weniger, Jr? Before he went to Maranatha, he was my pastor at Calvary Baptist Church in Normal, Illinois, and I had nothing but admiration and respect for him. You say he did a good job of building up Maranatha, and as far as I am concerned, he did a good job of building up Calvary which had an attendance of about 900. I think it is good that we are giving credit where credit is due to Pastor Weniger, even if Jack didn't like him.

Average Joe, just curious, do you have any insight as to why Jack Hyles didn't like Arno Weniger, Jr? Before he went to Maranatha, he was my pastor at Calvary Baptist Church in Normal, Illinois, and I had nothing but admiration and respect for him. You say he did a good job of building up Maranatha, and as far as I am concerned, he did a good job of building up Calvary which had an attendance of about 900. I think it is good that we are giving credit where credit is due to Pastor Weniger, even if Jack didn't like him.

I had gathered that Hyles didn't like Weniger because Weniger was taking a stand against him. He had heard many things about Hyles. I was raised near Peoria, and Dr. Weniger was a customer of the Western store that my parents were partners in. While growing up, I went every year to the Youth Conclave in Normal! I always loved going over to Calvary Baptist to visit. I always liked Dr. Weniger, and I wish he would have been able to continue on as the president of MBBC, but the Lord had other plans for him. I held him, and still do, though he's now with the Lord, in high esteem.

No matter what you think of "The Great One" he did inspire a lot of the IFB bigwigs that still revere him today like Tony Hutson, Larry Brown, Jack Trieber etc.

Bro. Tony reminds the folks at FBCH why he acts the way he does mixing comedy with scripture and who he got it from.

Last edited:
No matter what you think of "The Great One" he did inspire a lot of the IFB bigwigs that still revere him today like Tony Hutson, Larry Brown, Jack Trieber etc.

Bro. Tony reminds the folks at FBCH why he acts the way he does mixing comedy scripture and who he got it from.

That's truly disgusting, and it's one reason my wife and I stopped goig to Middle Tennessee Baptist Church. I don't mind people having hero's, but this sort of goes above and beyond that mindset....Also, which LARRY BROWN are you speaking of??? There are several! One just passed away a few weeks ago in the Augusta, GA area, and I know at one time he liked Hyles.

That's truly disgusting, and it's one reason my wife and I stopped goig to Middle Tennessee Baptist Church. I don't mind people having hero's, but this sort of goes above and beyond that mindset....Also, which LARRY BROWN are you speaking of??? There are several! One just passed away a few weeks ago in the Augusta, GA area, and I know at one time he liked Hyles.

Larry Brown the IFB Comedian who also speaks highly of Hyles. He paid tribute to Gallagher at Pastor's School by smashing a television. Brown and Hutson are comedians and certainly have influence from Hyles in their sermons/comedy routines.

Larry Brown the IFB Comedian who also speaks highly of Hyles. He paid tribute to Gallagher at Pastor's School by smashing a television. Brown and Hutson are comedians and certainly have influence from Hyles in their sermons/comedy routines.

A little EXTREME...Not everybody watches the tele hours on end...nor do they let their kids watch it like that....some people are responsible...This is ONE REASON my wife and I left the IFB circles....

From the Preacher Boys Podcast. Apparently Curtis Hutson knew about Hyles' antics behind the scenes but always defended him. Since Curtis admired Hyles so much, Tony Hutson still reveres Hyles to this day as do Larry Brown and Jack Trieber.