Jack Hyles

Timotheus

Elect
Reaction score
prophet said:
He was a very likable person, who abounded in Christian charity.

He had been trained by the U.S. Army Airborne, to be a Drill Sarge.
He knew how to inject a kind of sarcastic humor, that most of the time endeared men to him.

In private, if he thought you knew something that he didn't, he would treat you as an expert, that he relied heavily on.

It was only when you had a problem that he viewed as exposing weakness in his leadership, that you ever saw the Mr. Hyde.

Anishinaabe

I thought that this was a good point by prophet in the fighting forum.

Jack Hyles was a genius and it showed through in many areas.

He could be at times a brilliant motivator, speaker, and organizer.  He also was a very broken.  I don’t believe he could fulfil the requirements in 1 Timothy 3

He had the ability to tap into many people’s desire to serve God.  I believe that most of the people that he drew to FBC and HAC would have served God without his influence.  He had an amazing way of convincing people otherwise.  He was the hero of all of his stories.  How did we know that he was the greatest Christian since the apostle Paul?  How did we know he was so humble?  Because he told us!

I believe his greatest failure was pointing people to himself instead of Jesus.

So if we have to throw the baby out with the bathwater to follow Jesus, shouldn't we?

Timotheus said:
prophet said:

He knew how to inject a kind of sarcastic humor, that most of the time endeared men to him.

In private, if he thought you knew something that he didn't, he would treat you as an expert, that he relied heavily on.

It was only when you had a problem that he viewed as exposing weakness in his leadership, that you ever saw the Mr. Hyde.

Anishinaabe

He could be at times a brilliant motivator, speaker, and organizer.  He also was a very broken.  I don’t believe he could fulfil the requirements in 1 Timothy 3

He had the ability to tap into many people’s desire to serve God.  I believe that most of the people that he drew to FBC and HAC would have served God without his influence.  He had an amazing way of convincing people otherwise.  He was the hero of all of his stories.  How did we know that he was the greatest Christian since the apostle Paul?  How did we know he was so humble?  Because he told us!

So if we have to throw the baby out with the bathwater to follow Jesus, shouldn't we?

Spot on Tim; And I like many others were led to believe that the very fate of America balanced on what happened every week at fbch. This was where God's man was (who was a little higher than the pope) . To not follow to the letter was to not follow God or the Bible. I am ashamed to say that this was me to a tee.

BALAAM said:
Spot on Tim; And I like many others were led to believe that the very fate of America balanced on what happened every week at fbch. This was where God's man was (who was a little higher than the pope) . To not follow to the letter was to not follow God or the Bible. I am ashamed to say that this was me to a tee.

I think this was the belief of most of us that stayed at FBC long enough.

The fate of America was in our hands.  We were the righteous righteous (Lot and Sodom)!  I heard that variation of a sermon a lot from Jack Hyles.

I am not sure those who just came for 4 years would be able to understand the craziness.  (Raider!) ;)  Most new HAC students showed up thinking that this was the greatest place on earth.  They were envious of those of us who had the privileged of growing up there, and hearing the greatest Christian since Paul preach each week.

One thing is for certain... whatever your opinion is of him he was enough of an influence and made a big enough impact that we still talk about him.

Pastor Marty said:
One thing is for certain... whatever your opinion is of him he was enough of an influence and made a big enough impact that we still talk about him.
When he died, I thought we (FBCH and Hac affiliates) had a great opportunity to show that the detracters were wrong about us.  We could show the world that we didn't worship a man, we worshipped his God.
Boy was I disappointed.

Anishinaabe

Timotheus said:
prophet said:

Anishinaabe

In answer to your question....NO.  Throw out the things that were wrong in your opinion.  Don't support that with which you don't agree.  Don't throw out the positive that you learned.  That's all I mean when I say, "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater".

Timotheus said:
BALAAM said:

I think this was the belief of most of us that stayed at FBC long enough.

The fate of America was in our hands.  We were the righteous righteous (Lot and Sodom)!  I heard that variation of a sermon a lot from Jack Hyles.

I am not sure those who just came for 4 years would be able to understand the craziness.  (Raider!) ;)  Most new HAC students showed up thinking that this was the greatest place on earth.  They were envious of those of us who had the privileged of growing up there, and hearing the greatest Christian since Paul preach each week.

I agree that many of us came for 4 years and left.  Many of us did stay in touch after graduation.  On the other hand, we did not grow up in FBCH and were somewhat "sheltered" from becoming too close and knowing too much.

BALAAM said:
Spot on Tim; And I like many others were led to believe that the very fate of America balanced on what happened every week at fbch. 

BALAAM, I hear what you are saying and I'm not totally disagreeing with you.  For many years there have been "leaders" in the Baptist movement.  These leaders were looked up to by others.  These "leaders" motivated others.  Jack Hyles was not the first.  I think of J Frank Norris, Lee Roberson, John R. Rice, Lester Roloff, etc.  Each one of them had their critics, but each one of them were "heroes" to others.  They all had their unique quirks and personalities that made some love and others hate.

You may not agree, but Jack Hyles was the "leader" of the IFB movement for many years.  He motivated preachers all over this country.  In my opinion, he had a very humble side.  Because he liked to use personal illustrations, he was perceived by some as proud.  The truth is probably somewhere between the two.

IFB all over America read his books and received his sermon tapes.  Pastor's School was the highlight of an IFB preacher's year.  Their battery was recharged.  As someone mentioned, Jack Hyles was a motivator.

I say all this to drive home a point.  We look back and remember that Jack Hyles felt that FBCH was being watched by the world.  This was a bit of a stretch in my opinion.  On the other hand, FBCH was being watched by IFB around the world. 

It is just my take on things, but Dr. Hyles felt that there were many HAC grads and Pastor School delegates around the country that looked to FBCH as an encouragement to them.  FBCH motivated them.  Yes, FBCH was being watched and her direction did make a difference to others.

We can say that any pastor who looked to FBCH as a motivation tool was wrong.  I don't agree.  I think it is crazy for a preacher to make decisions at his church just because it's what they do at FBCH, but to get ideas and use it as a motivational tool, go for it!

Just my opinion!   

RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:
Spot on Tim; And I like many others were led to believe that the very fate of America balanced on what happened every week at fbch. 

BALAAM, I hear what you are saying and I'm not totally disagreeing with you.  For many years there have been "leaders" in the Baptist movement.  These leaders were looked up to by others.  These "leaders" motivated others.  Jack Hyles was not the first.  I think of J Frank Norris, Lee Roberson, John R. Rice, Lester Roloff, etc.  Each one of them had their critics, but each one of them were "heroes" to others.  They all had their unique quirks and personalities that made some love and others hate.

You may not agree, but Jack Hyles was the "leader" of the IFB movement for many years.  He motivated preachers all over this country.  In my opinion, he had a very humble side.  Because he liked to use personal illustrations, he was perceived by some as proud.  The truth is probably somewhere between the two.

IFB all over America read his books and received his sermon tapes.  Pastor's School was the highlight of an IFB preacher's year.  Their battery was recharged.  As someone mentioned, Jack Hyles was a motivator.

I say all this to drive home a point.  We look back and remember that Jack Hyles felt that FBCH was being watched by the world.  This was a bit of a stretch in my opinion.  On the other hand, FBCH was being watched by IFB around the world. 

It is just my take on things, but Dr. Hyles felt that there were many HAC grads and Pastor School delegates around the country that looked to FBCH as an encouragement to them.  FBCH motivated them.  Yes, FBCH was being watched and her direction did make a difference to others.

We can say that any pastor who looked to FBCH as a motivation tool was wrong.  I don't agree.  I think it is crazy for a preacher to make decisions at his church just because it's what they do at FBCH, but to get ideas and use it as a motivational tool, go for it!

Just my opinion! 

I agree 100%.  In fact, when I was an assistant, our pastor made it a point of valor to say: We do it this way at our church and it's NOT the way you were taught at FBCH...

16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

I agree 100%.  In fact, when I was an assistant, our pastor made it a point of valor to say: We do it this way at our church and it's NOT the way you were taught at FBCH...
This is the way we chase crossdressers...through the supermarket, not like FBCH!
They taught you to chase them from the pews.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

This is the way we chase crossdressers...through the supermarket, not like FBCH!

Anishinaabe
If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that illustration...

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe
You could by a bus ticket to Philly?

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe

Anishinaabe
Then I could worship at the ground Bill Grady walked on!

prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe
I have to admit, that when he told that at HAC, the year that they made the word "fag" off limits, in a whole sermon aimed at HAC leadership for "compromising", I was enjoying watching the fireworks.

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe

Anishinaabe

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe

Anishinaabe
Sense he often wandered aimlessly, engrossed in thought, and got lost walking across Burr St. (literally) to his house in plain sight of the front doors of HAC, you may run out of money.

Or were you referring to the Big Apple?

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe
I have to admit, that when he told that at HAC, the year that they made the word "fag" off limits, in a whole sermon aimed at HAC leadership for "compromising", I was enjoying watching the fireworks.

Anishinaabe

You could say this about him: No rules, just....
Well, never mind... ::)

prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe

Anishinaabe
Sense he often wandered aimlessly, engrossed in thought, and got lost walking across Burr St. (literally) to his house in plain sight of the front doors of HAC, you may run out of money.

Anishinaabe
No, Filthadelphia, city of brotherly shove.

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

Anishinaabe

Anishinaabe

Anishinaabe
No, Filthadelphia, city of brotherly shove.

I think there was a former pastor of mine who was preaching there and witnessed to Bill Cosby in an elevator...

16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

Just my opinion! 

So your Pastor will never preach at Pastor School now will he?

Please be patient with my post.

I actually had / still have a great love for Jack Hyles. He was always there for me and was a friend. He called me often, met with me and I always found him to be humble. I loved his tough preaching and viewed him as a manly man, a fighter, and yes a hero. But he was a friend and a father figure to me too, that was loving and caring. I could not tell you much about my real dad - he was there, but not there. Never really talked to me and I can't remember "I love you coming off his lips". I am sure he did, but he did not know how to express his love. Sadly, I am just learning how to love others and it is a wonderful journey!

Truthfully, it was not for a man that Jack Hyles influenced that came across the country to go to HAC , I almost think I would never have gotten saved. The man was a coworker of mine that won me to him with love, before he ever won me to the Lord. I could be wrong, but I verbally tortured the guy every day at work and his love and patience for me eventually won me over. I actually began to cry at the end of the last sentence and had to pause my posting this. I had to thank my God for that man being so loving when I was so mean to him. I would not have the same grace with myself actually.

Many people say I have a sixth sense about people to a tee. When Jack Schaap was voted in I did not vote for him. When people found out, they called me disloyal and asked me why. I told them he would be the ruin of the FBC in 10 years or so. They came unglued and turned on me. Those folks, many that I often see these days, never said they were sorry and I was right. That's OK.

I still love Jack Hyles. I never saw anything that was awry about him. He was there for me every time. Sue me, hate me, and call me a man worshiper. Yes, I worshiped the man and I soon realized I was wrong about that and it was a sin. The fact is, I never knew I worshiped him until he died. I thought I was being loyal to my pastor. But thankfully his death was the birth of my great love and worship for my great God. It shook me and made me run to Him. Thank God Jack Schaap threw our friendship down the toilet and did what he did when I fell. It further caused me to cling to a God that never turns on me and is always there for me even when I fail him.

RAIDER said:
You may not agree, but Jack Hyles was the "leader" of the IFB movement for many years. 

As far as influencing the IFB across America? I was in utter shock, in my travels around America and the world, to meet hoards and hoards of solid, IFB people that never even heard of him