Joy Evans Ryder petition to roll back 5 year statue of limitations in Indiana

Just a comment that will likely be unpopular.
Eliminating the statute of limitations could have the opposite effect than what is desired.
The statute of limitations acts much like the deadline for a major college assignment, forcing students to do what must be done on time. The statute of limitations forces the victim to come forward quickly so the police and the prosecuting attorney can effectively do their jobs. A guilty person is far more likely to be convicted, of a horrible crime, when the police get involved early, while physical evidence can be secured and while witnesses can be questioned and statements taken. It is often extremely difficult for an assault victim to come forward and a statute of limitations forces them to act in a timely manner. I want to see every rapist and sexual predator arrested and thrown in jail, but for our legal system to protect the innocent in must address accusations in a timely manner. The courts must presume everyone innocent until they are proven guilty and after 30 years how is that even possible.
A statute of limitation also protects the innocent who are falsely accused of crimes. 1000's of accused people are exonerated each year when physical evidence proves they were not the assailant. How could anyone defend themselves after all these years and how could a jury convict someone of a crime 30 years after the fact. It can seem very unfair that a guilty person is allowed to run free, but this is sometimes a necessary evil to protect us all from being falsely accused and sent to prison. Even the 6th amendment to the constitution requires the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury. Our founding fathers recognized justice must act swiftly if it is to be effective as well. We need to teach our children to speak out whenever they see injustice and to quickly report crimes and abuse whenever they see it. Most of all they need to know they can always come to us when they are hurt or abused.
I'm in agreement. I have to admit that based on a life long history and narrow escapes I don't mind seeing Dave at least in a civil lawsuit answer for some of his actions, but in general I agree with the statue of limitations. Memories fade and can be influenced by stories heard over decades. I would hate to be in a position where I had to attempt to explain where I was at and what I was doing on a particular night 30 years ago.

Just a comment that will likely be unpopular.
Eliminating the statute of limitations could have the opposite effect than what is desired.
The statute of limitations acts much like the deadline for a major college assignment, forcing students to do what must be done on time. The statute of limitations forces the victim to come forward quickly so the police and the prosecuting attorney can effectively do their jobs. A guilty person is far more likely to be convicted, of a horrible crime, when the police get involved early, while physical evidence can be secured and while witnesses can be questioned and statements taken. It is often extremely difficult for an assault victim to come forward and a statute of limitations forces them to act in a timely manner. I want to see every rapist and sexual predator arrested and thrown in jail, but for our legal system to protect the innocent in must address accusations in a timely manner. The courts must presume everyone innocent until they are proven guilty and after 30 years how is that even possible.
A statute of limitation also protects the innocent who are falsely accused of crimes. 1000's of accused people are exonerated each year when physical evidence proves they were not the assailant. How could anyone defend themselves after all these years and how could a jury convict someone of a crime 30 years after the fact. It can seem very unfair that a guilty person is allowed to run free, but this is sometimes a necessary evil to protect us all from being falsely accused and sent to prison. Even the 6th amendment to the constitution requires the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury. Our founding fathers recognized justice must act swiftly if it is to be effective as well. We need to teach our children to speak out whenever they see injustice and to quickly report crimes and abuse whenever they see it. Most of all they need to know they can always come to us when they are hurt or abused.
You won me over. Thank you. Great argument.