lahaina noon 2023....

aleshanee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
in the tropics every position and locale has 2 specific dates and times each year when the sun passes directly overhead.☀️ shadows disappear for about a minute or so... and at the actual zenith - depending on other weather and atmospheric conditions.. the air all around you can appear to glow for a few seconds.... this only happens in the tropics... and here in honolulu in the downtown area.. where i live.. it will happen on may 26th & 27th @ 12;28 pm.. as the sun moves toward the summer solstice.. and then again on july 16th @ 12;27 pm.. .. as the sun returns south to towards the equator...... however.... just a mile or so away in other parts of town the actual times will be different and even the date of occurence can change...

below is a webiste that gives more information about it and also gives the times and dates for other locations around the hawaiian islands... what is amazing is most people go their entire lives here in the islands and never take notice of it.... .. but i have always thought it was pretty cool just to look down and realize my shadow is gone... :cool:

in this picture you can see traffic barrier posts that have lost their shadows......

nlcxGu5P92Sg4VAxKCHakd1df-lVEFXN9lzufSe4Efg.jpeg

and when this sculpture below called sky gate was first built some people thought it was supposed to represent a giant hibachi or stand for a cooking pot..... . but it;s actually there to serve as an observatory for those wanting to see the specific moment the lahaina noon zenith occurs...

lahaina-noon-obsrvatory.jpeg

Last edited:
in the tropics every position and locale has 2 specific dates and times each year when the sun passes directly overhead.☀️ shadows disappear for about a minute or so... and at the actual zenith - depending on other weather and atmospheric conditions.. the air all around you can appear to glow for a few seconds.... this only happens in the tropics... and here in honolulu in the downtown area.. where i live.. it will happen on may 26th & 27th @ 12;28 pm.. as the sun moves toward the summer solstice.. and then again on july 16th @ 12;27 pm.. .. as the sun returns south to towards the equator...... however.... just a mile or so away in other parts of town the actual times will be different and even the date of occurence can change...

below is a webiste that gives more information about it and also gives the times and dates for other locations around the hawaiian islands... what is amazing is most people go their entire lives here in the islands and never take notice of it.... .. but i have always thought it was pretty cool just to look down and realize my shadow is gone... :cool:

in this picture you can see traffic barrier posts that have lost their shadows......

View attachment 4155

and when this sculpture below called sky gate was first built some people it was a giant hibachi or stand for a cooking pot..... . but it;s actually there to serve as an observatory for those wanting to see the specific moment the lahaina noon zenith occurs...

View attachment 4156
The concept fascinates me. I'd make a special trip to Hawaii to experience it if I could. One thing is certain... you'll find out if your fence posts are plumb or not come Lahaina noon.

Well, that's cool (and a little uncanny). Ottawa is at 45°N, so the sun is always to the south and there will always be a shadow, however short.

Well, that's cool (and a little uncanny). Ottawa is at 45°N, so the sun is always to the south and there will always be a shadow, however short.
I live in the southeast corner of Washington at just over 46° N and it's crazy to think I live further north than a large chunk of the population of Canada.

Another crazy thing is, that north of the 48th parallel, (think a little north of Spokane WA) there is a period of time during the summer when the region doesn't get darker than astronomical twilight. I know that doesn't mean much compared to midnight sun in Alaska, but it's kind of neat living so close to an astronomical wonder like that.

Last edited:
The concept fascinates me. I'd make a special trip to Hawaii to experience it if I could. One thing is certain... you'll find out if your fence posts are plumb or not come Lahaina noon.
there have been times we were disapointed by an overcast sky.... couldn;t see any shadows at all..... and in a partially cloudy day there is always the chance a cloud will drift over at just the right moment to spoil it..... it happens...... ...then you just have to wait until next year or the return cycle.......

the first time i ever saw this effect my dad brought out a construction level and stood it on end...... that was pretty cool.... you could see how the shadow shrunk towards the level ..disappeared... then popped up again on the other side..... :cool:

there have been times we were disapointed by an overcast sky.... couldn;t see any shadows at all..... and in a partially cloudy day there is always the chance a cloud will drift over at just the right moment to spoil it..... it happens...... ...then you just have to wait until next year or the return cycle.......

the first time i ever saw this effect my dad brought out a construction level and stood it on end...... that was pretty cool.... you could see how the shadow shrunk towards the level ..disappeared... then popped up again on the other side..... :cool:
That is so cool. I'm such a nerd 🤓 I would be totally stoked by such a thing!

I live in the southeast corner of Washington at just over 46° N and it's crazy to think I live further north than a large chunk of the population of Canada.

Half the Canadian population, to be precise. The imaginary line dividing Canada's population into "northern" and "southern" halves is somewhere around 45.5°N. So three of Canada's four largest cities--Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa, but not Vancouver--are south of that line.

70% lives south of the 49th parallel. My hometown is just north of 46° as well, and ironically is part of the "North."

Half the Canadian population, to be precise. The imaginary line dividing Canada's population into "northern" and "southern" halves is somewhere around 45.5°N. So three of Canada's four largest cities--Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa, but not Vancouver--are south of that line.

70% lives south of the 49th parallel. My hometown is just north of 46° as well, and ironically is part of the "North."
I've actually seen a good chunk of BC. From the coastal rain forests to the arid hills around Cache Creek. Wife and I paid a visit to Castlegar during a heatwave. It got up to over 40, eh?

Near Cranbrook, I shared a camp pad with a family from Fernie. That was a hoot.

And Canadian Tire... wow. Just wow.

Another crazy thing is, that north of the 48th parallel, (think Spokane WA) there is a period of time during the summer when the region doesn't get darker than astronomical twilight. I know that doesn't mean much compared to midnight sun in Alaska, but it's kind of neat living so close to an astronomical wonder like that.
washington state is as far north as i have ever been... mid january.... . ...and the thing i noticed on the first day there was the shortened daylight hours... ..the darkness made it seem like the sun wasn;t coming up until 9 and it was going down again at 3.... .. and the cold was like nothing i had ever experienced before..... .... i enjoyed it because scenery was beautiful... we were on vacation and bow hunting... ..and there was a fireplace to get in front of at the cabin... ....but i would have a very hard time adapting if we lived there.... ..

here there is not much difference in summer daylight hours and winter hours.... and we don;t observe daylight savings time...... but one time zone to the west across the international date line it;s tommorow already.... 24 hours ahead... and the time zone lines are offset and adjusted in weird ways between here and there.... . it could be confusing if a lot of people lived out there.... but it;s mostly just ocean and a few small islands.... and most fishing boats keep their clocks set to whatever their home port time is....

washington state is as far north as i have ever been... mid january.... . ...and the thing i noticed on the first day there was the shortened daylight hours... ..the darkness made it seem like the sun wasn;t coming up until 9 and it was going down again at 3.... .. and the cold was like nothing i had ever experienced before..... .... i enjoyed it because scenery was beautiful... we were on vacation and bow hunting... ..and there was a fireplace to get in front of at the cabin... ....but i would have a very hard time adapting if we lived there.... ..
Where in Washington?

Ya... November through mid February the toughest part of the year for me. Daylight only from 8am till 4pm. Our earliest sunsets are 4:01 pm. Add to that, it's often cloudy. I find it harder to deal with soggy weather that hovers around freezing than I do frigid temperatures and snow. Ironically, we're more likely to see sunny weather if daytime highs are in the teens or colder. Any sunshine helps even if it's only 15°. But then, we're coming up on May and June. Sun up by 5am and sets after 8pm..

Where in Washington?

Ya... November through mid February the toughest part of the year for me. Daylight only from 8am till 4pm. Our earliest sunsets are 4:01 pm. Add to that, it's often cloudy. I find it harder to deal with soggy weather that hovers around freezing than I do frigid temperatures and snow. Ironically, we're more likely to see sunny weather if daytime highs are in the teens or colder. Any sunshine helps even if it's only 15°. But then, we're coming up on May and June. Sun up by 5am and sets after 8pm..
i;m not entirely sure what the exact location was.. but i know it was on the eastern part of the state... and i think it was close to the canadian border... we flew in to the airport south of seattle and spent 2 days there before heading out on the road in super size pick up truck.... that part of travelling took longer.. get where we were staying to go hunting.. than the flight across the pacific took... . .... the cabin was in a sort of valley... thick forests but with clearings that opened up now and then........ i would have been hopelessy lost trying to find my around anywhere in that part of country..... even without the snow on the ground....

but it was just like you said... . the sun never got up very high.. and it was dark and overcast almost all the time... the snow never thawed at the place we were hunting at.... and it even snowed some of the days we were there.. . ...but the snow was gone when we got back to seattle.. yet it seemed even colder and darker there for some reason... than it was out in the wild....

wet weather never bothers me here.... . but i think it would have if it was in a cold place like that.... it did not rain the 2 days we back in seattle... in fact the sun was even coming out the day we left.... i always thought i wouldn;t mind going back and seeing the things seattle had to offer... but this was back in 2012 that we were there.... and from what i have heard seattle is not the same anymore...

Last edited:
i;m not entirely sure what the exact location was.. but i know it was on the eastern part of the state... and i think it was close to the canadian border... we flew in to the airport south of seattle and spent 2 days there before heading out on the road in super size pick up truck.... that part of travelling took longer.. get where we were staying to go hunting.. than the flight across the pacific took... . .... the cabin was in a sort of valley... thick forests but with clearings that opened up now and then........ i would have been hopelessy lost trying to find my around anywhere in that part of country..... even without the snow on the ground....

but it was just like you said... . the sun never got up very high.. and it was dark and overcast almost all the time... the snow never thawed at the place we were hunting at.... and it even snowed some of the days we were there.. . ...but the snow was gone when we got back to seattle.. yet it seemed even colder and darker there for some reason... than it was out in the wild....

wet weather never bothers me here.... . but i think it would have if it was in a cold place like that.... it did not rain the 2 days we back in seattle... in fact the sun was even coming out the day we left.... i always thought i wouldn;t mind going back and seeing the things seattle had to offer... but this was back in 2012 that we were there.... and from what i have heard seattle is not the same anymore...
Nope. I wouldn't set foot in Seattle. Last time we were there was 2016 I think. We went to Pike Place Market. We actually liked it. Then we went over by the Space Needle. I wanted to see that Rock n roll museum. Lots of money to get in and the only cool thing there was the Jimi Hendrix exhibit but it definitely did not justify the price of admission. We went up in the Space Needle, another massively expensive tourist trap. The only good thing was it was a warm sunny day so we could see for miles!

I thought about this when I was stationed in Guam which experiences the very same thing as anywhere else that is within the "tropics" (Cancer and Capricorn). Perhaps I'll have to keep this in mind when I am spending a little more extended time in the Philippines?

Nope. I wouldn't set foot in Seattle. Last time we were there was 2016 I think. We went to Pike Place Market. We actually liked it. Then we went over by the Space Needle. I wanted to see that Rock n roll museum. Lots of money to get in and the only cool thing there was the Jimi Hendrix exhibit but it definitely did not justify the price of admission. We went up in the Space Needle, another massively expensive tourist trap. The only good thing was it was a warm sunny day so we could see for miles!
we didn;t go up in the space needle.... but we did get to see them throw fish at pikes place.... then went the opposite way you went to visit the old curiosity shop and then the aquarium.... the aquarium has entire side section with a spiral salmon ladder allowing fish that were spawned there to return every year.... .that would have been interesting to see them return at the right time of year.... ...then when we got back to seattle before flying back home we went to the pioneers square and toured the underground city.... . that was pretty intersting too...but nothig like it was portrayed in the movie "night strangler" with carl kolchak ... but i didn;t really expect it to..... all of those things plus others would be fun to visit again - but not at the risk of having to deal with the nefarious side of seattle.... and from friends have told me it;s everywhere now...

when we first got to washington.. our first stop after leaving the airport - we went straight to cabelas.... i had no real cold weather clothing so i bought a really good parka... also really good boots... (snow pants too).... . boots can be versatile.... but i knew i would have absolutely no use for the parka once we came back home.. .. so my plan was to find a homeless guy on the waterfront to donate it to.. on our return trip to seattle.... i planned on doing that on our way to the airport...... but i could never get used to the cold.... even when indoors... and i was so cold on that last day there that i wore it to the airport and still had on when we boarded the plane........ we were halfway across the pacific before i finally got warm enough to take it off.... . it;s been in storage ever since... along with the snow pants and also the boots - which as it turned out were not as versatile in hawaiis climate as i thought they would be..... . but hey... if i ever make a trip to see alaska i;m all set..... :sneaky:(y)..

Last edited:
I thought about this when I was stationed in Guam which experiences the very same thing as anywhere else that is within the "tropics" (Cancer and Capricorn). Perhaps I'll have to keep this in mind when I am spending a little more extended time in the Philippines?
yeah... because almost all of the philipines is in the tropics.. .. by contrast not all of hawaii actually is.... the western most islands in the chain... which runs all the way out to midway are above 23.5 north and not in the tropics...... but they still don;t get very cold out there.... . being at sea level and surrounded by the ocean on all sides they stay pretty warm...... .i have never been out that far... .the farthest we ever went when i worked on the boat was the south east side of kauai.... and on an almost mirror flat day.... beautiful weather but bad fishing..... if the charter customers (plus me) hadn;t been on the boat the captain and regular crew might have stayed out a few days and gone as far west as they needed to to find something..... but customers like to be back in the waikiki hotel for the night and i didn;t really want to go on those extended trips with them either.... .it was a totally different kind of operation than what they did for the charter customers....

yeah... because almost all of the philipines is in the tropics.. .. by contrast not all of hawaii actually is.... the western most islands in the chain... which runs all the way out to midway are above 23.5 north and not in the tropics...... but they still don;t get very cold out there.... . being at sea level and surrounded by the ocean on all sides they stay pretty warm...... .i have never been out that far... .the farthest we ever went when i worked on the boat was the south east side of kauai.... and on an almost mirror flat day.... beautiful weather but bad fishing..... if the charter customers (plus me) hadn;t been on the boat the captain and regular crew might have stayed out a few days and gone as far west as they needed to to find something..... but customers like to be back in the waikiki hotel for the night and i didn;t really want to go on those extended trips with them either.... .it was a totally different kind of operation than what they did for the charter customers....
Another interesting tidbit is that the Tropic of Cancer is not fixed. Due to the Earth's "Wobble" it varies within a few yards or so each year and you can see this evident each solstice where the phenomena recorded in your photo will have some variance.

Another interesting tidbit is that the Tropic of Cancer is not fixed. Due to the Earth's "Wobble" it varies within a few yards or so each year and you can see this evident each solstice where the phenomena recorded in your photo will have some variance.
Wow. I thought I was a nerd. 🤓 I hand my horn rimmed glasses and pocket protector over to you...

LOL. Kind of like trying to see an eclipse around here.
i still haven;t seen solar eclipse yet.... not a total one.... i was hoping we would be able to see the eclipse on the mainland in 2017.... but we couldn;t make the trip...... the one thing i did see that was totally awesome was the hale bop comet.... that was directly over us just after sunset for several nights in a row.... and the sky was crystal clear..... . .... ..this recent green one was difficult.... too many claouds and it was too close to the horizon....

i still haven;t seen solar eclipse yet.... not a total one....
I've never been in a position to see a total eclipse, either. I've seen a few partial eclipses and one annular eclipse (where the moon is completely within the disc of the sun, but too small to cover it completely, leaving a very intense ring of light).

Next April 8, though, there's an eclipse that will be total only 100 km south of here. I hope I'll have an opportunity to visit.