Living right to get something from God....????

• Thread starter christundivided
  • Start date
C

christundivided

I have a friend that is trying to be an extraordinary "Christian" to try to get "something" from God. It doesn't matter "what that something is". Its not a possession or something that comes because of covetousness. Yet, it is very important to "them".

First, I would like to ask how you feel about this?

Personally, I believe desires like this come from a tainted background of believing that God is looking to punish you for any "small" step you take out of "line". I was taught this as a child and its prevalent in IFB circles.

Second, Should we endless labor for a "gift" from God for being a really good "son/child"?

I do believe, that first and primarily, that God Blesses us because of who He is. He cares for His own. I gave up a long time ago believing that exaggerating self denial was the way to God's heart.

Yet, I do believe that bad things sometimes happen because we are not persistent in praying for our daily needs. I try to pray daily for the important things. Yet, I'm not looking for the hammer to fall. The greatest blessing that have ever taken place in my life.... happened when I wasn't looking for them.

Just looking for some thoughts on the matter. Thanks

I believe living right for the purpose of getting something from God is idolatry because your highest pursuit isn't God but "something". Furthermore, it turns God into a cosmic vending machine where you put something in to get something out.

The greatest thing we get when we pursue a God-centered life is God. Does that mean that we shouldn't expect blessing? Of course not! But this is primarily a function of how God wired the universe to function. If you are riding with the proverbial current, life is better. If you try to swim against it, life is much harder. (I say this with the understanding that "better" and "harder" are from a Christ-centered worldview.)

I would also add that it is not wrong to have desires and affections for "somethings". It is when those desires take precedence over one's desire for more of God.

Don't think there is anything inherently wrong with looking for favor from God but Jesus rewards despite that ideal:

And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

The thing that really hits me about this scene is that the "righteous" do not know that they were considered "righteous" based on their benevolence to fellow man. It had to be pointed out to them.

I believe we should be actively pursuing doing right to others and let the blessing/cursing fall into Jesus' hands on the day we stand before Him. Again, that doesn't mean it is wrong to do it for reward but it seems to me that whatever blessing we may get is secondary to doing the best we can in helping others.

So I hope to do what I should and not look over my shoulder if I am doing it "correctly" or if is "God's will" or looking for any approval/disapproval from God or man.

"Love does" and that is what matters in the long run.

I don't think there's anything wrong with praying for blessings. 

You won't get them by "living right" (whatever that means) though. 

"Living right" to "get something" from God?

It's just a vaguer variant of the prosperity gospel.

Like Shai Linne said, Jesus is not a means to an end. And if you're going to Him for money, He's not your God, money is. I think that applies to more than just money.

But nuthin' wrong with praying for  blessings. Just keep your priorities straight.

If we believe that everything we receive from God is by His grace...what could we ever do to merit something from Him?  Right living is a result of the grace of God, not a means to get Him to give more grace.

Here is the answer to the question. Not my essay but I will claim relation to the author.

"My dad once challenged me with this thought- "if You had the the choice to spend eternity in heaven or with Jesus which would you choose ?" If Jesus lived in the slums would I want to live forever there? If he was homeless would I want to live forever wandering? And so the scenarios went. I can say that when I was younger, although well versed and full of flannel gram images I would have gasped at the thought and been full of fear. Thankfully my dads question stirred something deep inside my soul and I can say that I want to spend eternity with Jesus, wherever he is, because he's who I love. Not religion or my faith, but this man that set a standard that I can only try to obtain in this life I've been gifted with. So for some reason I felt the need to share that today. Imagine if people loved Jesus more than their religion, denomination, ministry, eternity."

We have God already. What more do we need?

The Rogue Tomato said:

I often feel "out of sorts" when ask for "things" from God. I have no problem praying for others, or my family... and pretty much asking for just about anything.... but when it comes to myself.... I just feel as if I'm walking a thing line between between "taking advantage" of my relationship with God and sincerely looking for help.

Let me give an example. I love to fish. Its my hobby. I don't get to do it as much as like but I try to go as often as I can reasonable get by with.. There have been many times I've fished all day and caught very few fish.... and times when I didn't catch anything at all. I would have the thought, why not ask God to help you. I'd got to pray and feel like I'm being very silly. I don't mind ask God to help me learn from my mistakes fishing.... but to pray that He would divinely increase my "haul".... just seems so petty.

If you're a man, keep your hair cut short, and short means off the ears.  If you're a woman, wear loose fitting dresses, at least below the knee.  An apple a day, and read the Bible every day, but only the good ole King James.  Three to thrive will keep you alive.  Obey your preacher and don't be disloyal to him.  Either pass out a tract or tell a soul about Jesus at least once a day, and never put your family or job ahead of Thursday and Saturday Soulwinning and Visitation.  Tithe, at a minimum, but giving more than a tithe to the church (not to parachurch ministries and televangelists) will make for blessins.  Ya can't outgive God.

Do these things and God will give you the desires of your heart, for sure.

ALAYMAN said:
If you're a man, keep your hair cut short, and short means off the ears.  If you're a woman, wear loose fitting dresses, at least below the knee.  An apple a day, and read the Bible every day, but only the good ole King James.  Three to thrive will keep you alive.  Obey your preacher and don't be disloyal to him.  Either pass out a tract or tell a soul about Jesus at least once a day, and never put your family or job ahead of Thursday and Saturday Soulwinning and Visitation.  Tithe, at a minimum, but giving more than a tithe to the church (not to parachurch ministries and televangelists) will make for blessins.  Ya can't outgive God.

I know you said this in jest but I honestly think there are people that "buy this"..... "hook line and sinker".

This does make think of a good question to ask....

Does "self sacrifice" grow your relationship with God?

christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:

I know you said this in jest but I honestly think there are people that "buy this"..... "hook line and sinker".

Now that is a good question...I would say yes.  It is a means of growth as we learn to genuinely care for others more than ourselves and that is seen in sacrifice.  It is a part of the taking on the mind of Christ that Paul talked about.  As we daily surrender to the Spirit and live in Him to care for others and their needs before our own we can't help but grow in our relationship with God!  Matter of fact, I believe that is His plan.

christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:

Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’

Smellin Coffee said:
christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:

Are you saying self sacrifice is applicable to Hosea 6:6?

christundivided said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

I often feel "out of sorts" when ask for "things" from God. I have no problem praying for others, or my family... and pretty much asking for just about anything.... but when it comes to myself.... I just feel as if I'm walking a thing line between between "taking advantage" of my relationship with God and sincerely looking for help.

Let me give an example. I love to fish. Its my hobby. I don't get to do it as much as like but I try to go as often as I can reasonable get by with.. There have been many times I've fished all day and caught very few fish.... and times when I didn't catch anything at all. I would have the thought, why not ask God to help you. I'd got to pray and feel like I'm being very silly. I don't mind ask God to help me learn from my mistakes fishing.... but to pray that He would divinely increase my "haul".... just seems so petty.

I have prayed for a deer to come within range. Sometimes answered yes, sometimes no. Always thankful.

I believe He wants us to pray about even the "little stuff" and the "personal stuff". He wants to be involved in our life. Why would we leave Him out of any of it? (not aimed at CU, just my rhetorical musing)

christundivided said:
I know you said this in jest

There was waaaaay too much agreement in the answers up to that point. Just needed to balance things out a bit. :D

CU said:
but I honestly think there are people that "buy this"..... "hook line and sinker".

Performance based Christianity is an intoxicating thing, and legalism is as old as the hills.

cu said:

Paul said he counted all these things but dung just to know Christ, so in some sense, yes.

subllibrm said:
.....I believe He wants us to pray about even the "little stuff" and the "personal stuff".....

Yesterday when I left work I realized I had left my car keys at my desk.  It's a long haul from my parking spot back to the building where I'd left them, and my carpool buddy had to wait on me to go back and retrieve them.  As I strolled on to retrieve them in aggravation, shortly after I headed back, I asked the Lord half-heartedly if He'd bring somebody by that was heading my direction.  At this time of the evening it would be pretty uncommon.  No sooner than I had offered that little prayer a co-worker stopped and asked me if I wanted a ride back to the building.  I jumped in and asked why he was still at the plant and why he was headed back in to work at a time that was not his regularly scheduled shift.  He said he had to leave at mid-day for a couple of hours, and was returning to make up his time.  I just lifted my head skyward in his car and said "thank you Lord".  God is good, even in the small things. 

ALAYMAN said:
subllibrm said:
.....I believe He wants us to pray about even the "little stuff" and the "personal stuff".....

Yesterday when I left work I realized I had left my car keys at my desk.  It's a long haul from my parking spot back to the building where I'd left them, and my carpool buddy had to wait on me to go back and retrieve them.  As I strolled on to retrieve them in aggravation, shortly after I headed back, I asked the Lord half-heartedly if He'd bring somebody by that was heading my direction.  At this time of the evening it would be pretty uncommon.  No sooner than I had offered that little prayer a co-worker stopped and asked me if I wanted a ride back to the building.  I jumped in and asked why he was still at the plant and why he was headed back in to work at a time that was not his regularly scheduled shift.  He said he had to leave at mid-day for a couple of hours, and was returning to make up his time.  I just lifted my head skyward in his car and said "thank you Lord".  God is good, even in the small things.

In my men's group we call that a God sighting. He is there to be found, all we have to do is look.

I don't believe in cowinkydinks!  :D

You live right because of a relationship.  Not to get something. 

subllibrm said:
christundivided said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

I have prayed for a deer to come within range. Sometimes answered yes, sometimes no. Always thankful.

I believe He wants us to pray about even the "little stuff" and the "personal stuff". He wants to be involved in our life. Why would we leave Him out of any of it? (not aimed at CU, just my rhetorical musing)

I agree in praying for the little stuff. I do as well. I just can't bring myself to ask for things that seem "petty/unnecessary" in our lives. I know our heavenly Father gives "good things" unto those that ask Him. I have asked for a deer to pass by myself.... and I always Thank God when He did. :)

Maybe its about being selfish. Maybe that's what gets me. Not say anyone else is..... our nature makes us so "me" focused.

christundivided said:
Smellin Coffee said:
christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:

Are you saying self sacrifice is applicable to Hosea 6:6?

What did Jesus say?

Jesus DID teach self-denial so if that is your definition of "sacrifice" then maybe we are on the same page. :)