Living right to get something from God....????

• Thread starter christundivided
  • Start date
Smellin Coffee said:
christundivided said:
Smellin Coffee said:
christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:
If you're a man, keep your hair cut short, and short means off the ears.  If you're a woman, wear loose fitting dresses, at least below the knee.  An apple a day, and read the Bible every day, but only the good ole King James.  Three to thrive will keep you alive.  Obey your preacher and don't be disloyal to him.  Either pass out a tract or tell a soul about Jesus at least once a day, and never put your family or job ahead of Thursday and Saturday Soulwinning and Visitation.  Tithe, at a minimum, but giving more than a tithe to the church (not to parachurch ministries and televangelists) will make for blessins.  Ya can't outgive God.

Do these things and God will give you the desires of your heart, for sure.

I know you said this in jest but I honestly think there are people that "buy this"..... "hook line and sinker".

This does make think of a good question to ask....

Does "self sacrifice" grow your relationship with God?

Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’

Are you saying self sacrifice is applicable to Hosea 6:6?

What did Jesus say?

Jesus DID teach self-denial so if that is your definition of "sacrifice" then maybe we are on the same page. :)

Is obedience sacrifice?

christundivided said:
Smellin Coffee said:
christundivided said:
Smellin Coffee said:
christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:
If you're a man, keep your hair cut short, and short means off the ears.  If you're a woman, wear loose fitting dresses, at least below the knee.  An apple a day, and read the Bible every day, but only the good ole King James.  Three to thrive will keep you alive.  Obey your preacher and don't be disloyal to him.  Either pass out a tract or tell a soul about Jesus at least once a day, and never put your family or job ahead of Thursday and Saturday Soulwinning and Visitation.  Tithe, at a minimum, but giving more than a tithe to the church (not to parachurch ministries and televangelists) will make for blessins.  Ya can't outgive God.

Do these things and God will give you the desires of your heart, for sure.

I know you said this in jest but I honestly think there are people that "buy this"..... "hook line and sinker".

This does make think of a good question to ask....

Does "self sacrifice" grow your relationship with God?

Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’

Are you saying self sacrifice is applicable to Hosea 6:6?

What did Jesus say?

Jesus DID teach self-denial so if that is your definition of "sacrifice" then maybe we are on the same page. :)

Is obedience sacrifice?

Not necessarily according to Samuel...but it could be. 

So if one has to live right to get something from God. Sounds like that person is using God by getting on His good side.
Almost like a husband who brings his wife some candy or flowers, well you know the rest of the story.

4everfsu said:
So if one has to live right to get something from God. Sounds like that person is using God by getting on His good side.
Almost like a husband who brings his wife some candy or flowers, well you know the rest of the story.

No, what's the rest of the story?  ;)

I ask the Lord for the simple, little things in life. But nothing is too little for God.  When my kids were little, we would pray for front row parking. Sometimes we got it other times we did not. But when we did, we had the opportunity to Thank the Lord. The other day my oldest (24 year old) was freaking out because she dropped her iphone and it wasn't working, I told her to calm down and ask the Lord to give her peace in her heart and that it would not take much to fix! It was a loose wire, and she was not charged! I live a very simple life but I want the Lord involved in everything I do in life, makes me feel closer to him. If someone thinks I shouldn't ask him for everything...so what, your opinion is of no value to me!

I have voiced this many times across the forum.

I grew up at FBCH.  We were taught that if we were good little fundys and honored our leaders, we would never have a problem in the world.  Sure, Bro. Hyles would often preach about those who found themselves in great hardship, but that was an opportunity for them to teach the rest of us just how wicked we are when we complain.  Based upon our performance, we would receive all of our wants and more.

Boy was that wrong.  I gave God my all, now I have nothing at all.  Well, my personal family is still in tact - so I have that.  But as for all the promises of grandeur and glory and prosperity and riches and ........  Sorry, it never happened.

I have determined that the blessings of God are not financial or physical.  They are spiritual.  A relationship with God.  Peace in turmoil, a friend to lean on in hardship, love to give others, etc.

This thread reminds me of so many sermons I have heard on holiness. If you do this, that, thus-and-so, don't do this, don't wear that, be in church Sunday night, Sunday School, Sunday morning, Wed. night, Saturday at church, etc. you will be holy.

If this is true: Could they also not look on people who do this and say, "Wow! You have done a good job at becoming holy?"

Has anyone read "How to Get Things From God" by John R. Rice?

Just from the title it seems he taught we could do things to get things.

Just curious if anyone here actually has  the book.

Page 25:

"Prayer is not meditation, not adoration, not even communication in the ordinary sense. Prayer is asking God for something."

I disagree with Rice's definition of prayer. Should I not simply offer praise and desire to communicate sometimes? Must I always want something? Is it okay to just be content and thankful?

Guess not (bottom of page 25):

"Again let me press  upon your heart and mind that prayer is asking and not anything else."

Um, no.

On the top of page 37 Rice criticizes the use of the phrase "If it is Thy will" in prayers as a sign of our unbelief.

name it/claim it?

Too bad the book excerpts stop at page 37, where Rice gives us steps to ensure our prayers are answered. Step one involved being fully surrendered to God's will. I wonder how he defined that.

christundivided said:
I have a friend that is trying to be an extraordinary "Christian" to try to get "something" from God. It doesn't matter "what that something is". Its not a possession or something that comes because of covetousness. Yet, it is very important to "them".

First, I would like to ask how you feel about this?

Um, this passage comes to mind (along with several dozen others about blessing being tied directly to our actions):

3 ¶  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

T-Bone said:
If we believe that everything we receive from God is by His grace...what could we ever do to merit something from Him?  Right living is a result of the grace of God, not a means to get Him to give more grace.

So you can live wrong and get something from God? You don't believe that, I know, but that is the corollary of your position. No, my friend, one can live right in order to get something from God and it still be all about grace. After all, where do you get the strength to live right for God if not from God Himself. The knock against a view like mine (that God puts 'recipes' in the Bible that, when followed, bring blessing) is that such an approach is not of grace. Nonsense. It most certainly is. But it just as most certainly is God honoring His Word and bringing the promised blessing as a result of meeting His conditions.

I once heard an IFB preacher do an entire sermon on how your testimony is affected by how well you manicure your lawn.  Does that qualify as living right? 

Tom Brennan said:
T-Bone said:
If we believe that everything we receive from God is by His grace...what could we ever do to merit something from Him?  Right living is a result of the grace of God, not a means to get Him to give more grace.

So you can live wrong and get something from God? You don't believe that, I know, but that is the corollary of your position. No, my friend, one can live right in order to get something from God and it still be all about grace. After all, where do you get the strength to live right for God if not from God Himself. The knock against a view like mine (that God puts 'recipes' in the Bible that, when followed, bring blessing) is that such an approach is not of grace. Nonsense. It most certainly is. But it just as most certainly is God honoring His Word and bringing the promised blessing as a result of meeting His conditions.

So....If we are good little HACkers, we will never have a care in the world.  If this be true, Jesus was a horrible Christian, for he had nought where to lay his head.  Yes, there are blessings of God.  Yes, they are conditional.  However, Christianity is like unto marriage.  When my relationship with my wife is strong, I have peace and happiness and joy and encouragement - blessings.  When my relationship with my wife is at odds, I have discontent, discouragement and stress.  There is no recipe for success for God brings trials into our lives for various and sundry reasons.  If the measure of Christianity is your financial standing, prestige in the church, authority over men, recognition by other pastors and life without troubles, Jesus was a horrible Christian.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I once heard an IFB preacher do an entire sermon on how your testimony is affected by how well you manicure your lawn.  Does that qualify as living right?

'You're never too poor to clean your front yard" - PJ. O'Rourke's greataunt

I know it is off topic but your post reminded me of it and I always liked the quote, even if my yard is pretty weak in the manicured department.  :-\

Tom Brennan said:
T-Bone said:

If that is what you got out of what I said either I didn't communicate it or you didn't comprehended it.  Everything in the Christian life flows from a life surrendered to God.  Our right living comes from the Holy Spirit being in control, not by our fleshly efforts to do right.  Blessing begat blessings, so as I walk in the Spirit blessing will be the result.  The OP clearly speaks of human effort to somehow obligate God to give us something for our good acts.  There is nothing good in your flesh, so if you in your flesh attempt to do good...it can't happen.  It only happens in the Holy Spirit and Him working in and through us bring the blessings of God.  Anything less is just human effort that can never be acceptable to Him.

Tom Brennan said:
Um, this passage comes to mind (along with several dozen others about blessing being tied directly to our actions):

3 ¶  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Of course this person would experience blessing. That is not what the OP is talking about. At least as I understood it.

I am short on the mortgage payment: what do I "do" so that God will provide the needed funds?
My wife has cancer: what do "I" do so that God will heal her?

I believe that there are biblical principles that when lived regularly will result in blessing. The motivation to live out those principles should be to honor
God by walking as He desires me to walk. But If the motivation is to stay on His "good side" or to "please Him" so that I get something in return then I have missed the first blessing which is HIM! I already have HIM! If I focus on "doing" to "get" then I am not really interested in Him am I?