"Long" hair on men

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
We all remember the hair standards at HAC.  I'm sure all the guys remember "hair check" after chapel.  I can still remember trying to get out a door where Laurent was not stationed. 

Here is our topic - what do you believe the Bible teaches about the length of a man's hair?  Is hair on the ears wrong?  Is hair on the collar wrong?  Is it wrong for a man to have long flowing hair?

What think ye, Hacker Nation?

Long hair on men actually showed piety and sanctification in that it was a part of the Nazirite vow. Hence, Samson's power.

I believe men ought to look like men and women ought to look like women. 

Smellin Coffee said:
Long hair on men actually showed piety and sanctification in that it was a part of the Nazarite vow. Hence, Samson's power.

What are your thoughts on then Nazarite vow vs I Cor. 11:14?

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Long hair on men actually showed piety and sanctification in that it was a part of the Nazarite vow. Hence, Samson's power.

What are your thoughts on then Nazarite vow vs I Cor. 11:14?

Nazarite vow: separated to God

I Cor. 11:14: shame to "nature".

Clearly "nature" isn't separated to God. :)

RAIDER said:
We all remember the hair standards at HAC.  I'm sure all the guys remember "hair check" after chapel.  I can still remember trying to get out a door where Laurent was not stationed. 

Here is our topic - what do you believe the Bible teaches about the length of a man's hair?  Is hair on the ears wrong?  Is hair on the collar wrong?  Is it wrong for a man to have long flowing hair?

What think ye, Hacker Nation?

My hubby has naturally curly hair.  His hair is short, but I always know when he will be getting a haircut because his hair starts to curl up around his ball cap.  And I love it!  If it was up to me, he would grow it a little longer.  But, he won't.  He's a HACker.  lol....

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Matthew Henry says that long hair "commanded respect".

He called it "a testament that they had preserved their purity."

http://books.google.com/books?id=Wk8_AAAAcAAJ&lpg=PA342&ots=Ex1k82aGYH&dq=long%20hair%20nazarite%20vow%20honorable&pg=PA342#v=onepage&q&f=false

Do you think the Nazarite Vow was for that dispensation, or do you think it is still relevant for today?

I find it interesting that you are asking this question.  I had you pegged as a "relevance doesn't matter" kind of guy. 

RAIDER said:
Do you think the Nazarite Vow was for that dispensation, or do you think it is still relevant for today?

Clearly, the "norm" was for Jewish men to have short hair, or a man taking a Nazarite vow would not be noticeable.

Nothing like the Nazarite vow shows up in the New Testament commands to Christians, so I assume that such a vow is only for Jews.

The Scriptures clearly tell us that it is shameful for a man to have "long" hair and that a woman should have long hair as a "covering".

Thus, it seems logical that the Scripture is telling us that a woman's hair should cover something on her that is not covered on a man.  There is head, face, eyes, nose, mouth, ears, neck that could be covered.  Clearly not the head (scalp), since even short hair covers that. Eyes, nose, and mouth don't make sense.  That leaves ears and/or neck.

When I was in college, a pastor claimed that the roots of the Greek word translated "covering" carried the concept of "down the sides", and thus ears. He told us that he believed that the New Testament rule was that men should have their ears uncovered with hair, and that women should have hair over their ears.

I've never had reason to check up on what he said; I've always tried to keep my hair off of my ears.

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Matthew Henry says that long hair "commanded respect".

He called it "a testament that they had preserved their purity."

http://books.google.com/books?id=Wk8_AAAAcAAJ&lpg=PA342&ots=Ex1k82aGYH&dq=long%20hair%20nazarite%20vow%20honorable&pg=PA342#v=onepage&q&f=false

Well, kinda hard to do it today as it ended with a trip to the temple. :)

Actually, I think Jesus kinda overturned the idea (in principle) when He said not to announce one's fasting as a show of piety. However, we see Paul joined a group of men who took an open vow at the initiation of James and the Twelve.

Regardless, my point is that I feel that long hair on men is a moot point and not relevant to one's spiritual walk.

I don't have hair down to my ears but I do have long hair growing out of my ears.

Long hair is not a sin on a man. Except to IFBX preachers.

Walt said:
RAIDER said:

Clearly, the "norm" was for Jewish men to have short hair, or a man taking a Nazarite vow would not be noticeable.

Nothing like the Nazarite vow shows up in the New Testament commands to Christians, so I assume that such a vow is only for Jews.

The Scriptures clearly tell us that it is shameful for a man to have "long" hair and that a woman should have long hair as a "covering".

Thus, it seems logical that the Scripture is telling us that a woman's hair should cover something on her that is not covered on a man.  There is head, face, eyes, nose, mouth, ears, neck that could be covered.  Clearly not the head (scalp), since even short hair covers that. Eyes, nose, and mouth don't make sense.  That leaves ears and/or neck.

When I was in college, a pastor claimed that the roots of the Greek word translated "covering" carried the concept of "down the sides", and thus ears. He told us that he believed that the New Testament rule was that men should have their ears uncovered with hair, and that women should have hair over their ears.

I've never had reason to check up on what he said; I've always tried to keep my hair off of my ears.

Very well thought out.  Thank you.

RAIDER said:
Walt said:
RAIDER said:

Very well thought out.  Thank you.

Why go into detail on these things from the pulpit.

I'm sorry but when I show up on Sunday morning, Sunday night or Wednesday night or any other time to hear preaching I DO NOT GO TO HEAR HOW LONG OR SHORT ME OR MY WIFES HAIR SHOULD BE.

Bruh said:

I'm sorry but when I show up on Sunday morning, Sunday night or Wednesday night or any other time to hear preaching I DO NOT GO TO HEAR HOW LONG OR SHORT ME OR MY WIFES HAIR SHOULD BE.

Yea, if you were teaching the book of I Corinthians it would be best to skip chapter 11. 

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Yea, if you were teaching the book of I Corinthians it would be best to skip chapter 11.

I can deal with that......you know preaching through a book a this comes up.....PREACHING THROUGH A BOOK, but that's it.

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

I can deal with that......you know preaching through a book a this comes up.....PREACHING THROUGH A BOOK, but that's it.

I am not for a preacher hobby horsing on something like this, but it is part of Scripture.  Some people have been burnt our of standards to the point that they want no preaching/teaching on any standards.  To be honest with you I don't believe I have heard a preacher teach on this passage at any time in my life.