Mike Zachary WCBC / GSBC Investigation

Obsession....it's more than just a fragrance.

If you go to West Coast Baptist College and look under their music department there is a Statement Regarding Mike Zachary

kaba said:
If you go to West Coast Baptist College and look under their music department there is a Statement Regarding Mike Zachary
Aww man. There was like a hundred pages of conjecture about coverups, how PC is just like JH & JS, and other things to go here. Now they went and put out a statement and we all have to figure a way around it.

I know, someone post how this is like the first announcement by PC ever. He only did this cause, well, just let your imagination go wild.

Tarheel Baptist said:

Just curious on your take of GSBC's statement vs WCBC's statement. How you gonna spin this one to make Chappell smell like roses?

http://wcbc.edu/articles/statement-regarding-mike-zachary

VS

http://gsbc.edu/recent_news/responsive-statement-to-west-coast-baptist-colleges-statement-regarding-dr-zacharys-termination/

Makes this a whole lot more believable:
"This was a comment from a link SFL posted re:WCBC statement.

"~Here Is What They Won’t Tell You~

Approximately 3 years ago Dr. Zachary left NVBC/GSBC to work for Paul Chappell at LBC/WCBC. It was a shock, but there was very little negative stigmatism attached. It was generally accepted that Dr. Zachary simply found a better opportunity and was “led” to resign.

What actually happened was that Dr. Zachary had been found to be having a nonconsensual sexual relationship with one of Brad Boruff’s sons. It is possible the son was an adult at the time which is why it was not reported to the police. (Jack Trieber takes a strong verbal stance on reporting child abuse (not a physical stance though, as he swept under the carpet the fact this his brother in law abused and impregnated an underaged girl many many years ago)). It is very much worth mentioning, however, that Dr. Zachary is still a predator even if the son was “of age”. The student teacher relationship is a strong enough bond as is; throw in the fact that Dr. Zachary has known the Boruffs for decades and this definitely turns this case into abuse. The son is a victim.

Jack Trieber was made aware of that situation and it wasn’t long until a spot was found for him to “serve” elsewhere. Everyone (Zachary, Boruff, Trieber) agreed that this was the best course of action and thus things were swept clean around NV and everyone moved on. Staff (except a select few) new nothing of this situation. Certainly the deacons were left in the dark on this one.

~Fast Forward~

Three weeks ago, a victim of Dr. Zachary’s came forward with accusations of sexual abuse/misconduct. Another side note worth mentioning is that it is still not confirmed whether or not he took advantage of minors. (Thus the police investigation rather than an arrest like in Jack Schaap’s case.) Paul Chappel (pastor of Lancaster Baptist Church) contacted Jack Trieber with the news and they began to take action.

Jack Trieber met with Brad Boruff and they both decided that it would be best if Boruff resigned immediately (regardless of the fact that GSBC graduation was just days away). Jack Trieber then brought in CLA/David Gibbs III to draw up a legal contract stating that Jack Trieber had no pryer knowledge of this situation. Jack Trieber gave Brad Boruff a substantial severance package in exchange for his silence. The contract also makes clear that Brad Boruff is not to start or take over a church within 50 miles of North Valley Baptist Church.

Jack Trieber knew about this situation from the very beginning.

~My View~

People of North Valley Baptist Church, students of the great Golden State Baptist College, your pastor is a wolf in shepherds clothing. Please stop worshipping at the feet of Pastor Trieber and start dining at the table of your Savior.

I implore you, if you have further information regarding the abuse or have been abused please go directly to the police. DO NOT “receive counsel” from Jack Trieber regarding this situation."

Some of us have been watching this kind of junk for decades.

It is not difficult to spot a cover-up, experience does teach one to know the signs.

Back in JH day things would have been far different if social media was in use.

Cover-up would have been nearly impossible.

Honey Badger said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Just curious on your take of GSBC's statement vs WCBC's statement. How you gonna spin this one to make Chappell smell like roses?
The GSBC article is a rebuttal to the WCBC article. That was a big ole slap in the face from Trieber to Chappell.

Those are very contradictory articles. I posted earlier in response to the witch hunt that often goes on here. I am not sure who knew what, but:

Either Trieber did not reveal all that he said he did

or

Chappell did not vet his new employee well at all.

Neither is acceptable. The truth will be hard to get too, but this looks bad on both of them.

To be honest, I am happy that some formal declaration was made by both institutions, even with much information lacking.

I have been in nationally known churches when an announcement was made that someone is guilty of a sin that has caused them to no longer be able to be employed at a church.  The request is made to pray for them and the family as they face difficult times.  To help them find restoration, they are moving to a new area. 

I have no doubt that both of these institutions did this in their local churches.  What was normally lacking, was the statement to others.  We are independent churches, so there really needs to be no formal statement to the public, other than warning the next church to which they move.  However, when you promote your ministry and its leaders across the nation, sell your ideas and recruit members from other churches, you have a responsibility to inform those other churches.

I think that maybe our voices on this forum and others like it is helping leaders in these institutions to recognize this need.  Yes, I wish they were more honest and less "don't sue me," but we have made some progress in our movement.  Maybe it will be a little while yet before teh leaders of the movement realize what the some of us have discovered in Scripture - Repentance is part of Restoration.

Binaca Chugger said:
To be honest, I am happy that some formal declaration was made by both institutions, even with much information lacking.

I have been in nationally known churches when an announcement was made that someone is guilty of a sin that has caused them to no longer be able to be employed at a church.  The request is made to pray for them and the family as they face difficult times.  To help them find restoration, they are moving to a new area. 

I have no doubt that both of these institutions did this in their local churches.  What was normally lacking, was the statement to others.  We are independent churches, so there really needs to be no formal statement to the public, other than warning the next church to which they move.  However, when you promote your ministry and its leaders across the nation, sell your ideas and recruit members from other churches, you have a responsibility to inform those other churches.

I think that maybe our voices on this forum and others like it is helping leaders in these institutions to recognize this need.  Yes, I wish they were more honest and less "don't sue me," but we have made some progress in our movement.  Maybe it will be a little while yet before teh leaders of the movement realize what the some of us have discovered in Scripture - Repentance is part of Restoration.

Heavy heavy hangs over the head of any church that does not warn other churches.
Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

We should obey God rather than man.

Man of God-ism has been rampant in IFB churches the last few decades.

It is such an abominable heresy. It turns each IFB church that practices it into a mini Catholic Church.

Honey Badger said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

VS

http://gsbc.edu/recent_news/responsive-statement-to-west-coast-baptist-colleges-statement-regarding-dr-zacharys-termination/

Approximately 3 years ago Dr. Zachary left NVBC/GSBC to work for Paul Chappell at LBC/WCBC. It was a shock, but there was very little negative stigmatism attached. It was generally accepted that Dr. Zachary simply found a better opportunity and was “led” to resign.

What actually happened was that Dr. Zachary had been found to be having a nonconsensual sexual relationship with one of Brad Boruff’s sons. It is possible the son was an adult at the time which is why it was not reported to the police. (Jack Trieber takes a strong verbal stance on reporting child abuse (not a physical stance though, as he swept under the carpet the fact this his brother in law abused and impregnated an underaged girl many many years ago)). It is very much worth mentioning, however, that Dr. Zachary is still a predator even if the son was “of age”. The student teacher relationship is a strong enough bond as is; throw in the fact that Dr. Zachary has known the Boruffs for decades and this definitely turns this case into abuse. The son is a victim.

Jack Trieber was made aware of that situation and it wasn’t long until a spot was found for him to “serve” elsewhere. Everyone (Zachary, Boruff, Trieber) agreed that this was the best course of action and thus things were swept clean around NV and everyone moved on. Staff (except a select few) new nothing of this situation. Certainly the deacons were left in the dark on this one.

~Fast Forward~

Three weeks ago, a victim of Dr. Zachary’s came forward with accusations of sexual abuse/misconduct. Another side note worth mentioning is that it is still not confirmed whether or not he took advantage of minors. (Thus the police investigation rather than an arrest like in Jack Schaap’s case.) Paul Chappel (pastor of Lancaster Baptist Church) contacted Jack Trieber with the news and they began to take action.

Jack Trieber met with Brad Boruff and they both decided that it would be best if Boruff resigned immediately (regardless of the fact that GSBC graduation was just days away). Jack Trieber then brought in CLA/David Gibbs III to draw up a legal contract stating that Jack Trieber had no pryer knowledge of this situation. Jack Trieber gave Brad Boruff a substantial severance package in exchange for his silence. The contract also makes clear that Brad Boruff is not to start or take over a church within 50 miles of North Valley Baptist Church.

~My View~

People of North Valley Baptist Church, students of the great Golden State Baptist College, your pastor is a wolf in shepherds clothing. Please stop worshipping at the feet of Pastor Trieber and start dining at the table of your Savior.

I implore you, if you have further information regarding the abuse or have been abused please go directly to the police. DO NOT “receive counsel” from Jack Trieber regarding this situation."

How is it that you know without a shadow of a doubt that Jack Trieber had prior knowledge.  And if you do not know without a shadow of a doubt, then it is reckless of you to post such. 

Frag said:
Honey Badger said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

VS

~Fast Forward~

~My View~

How is it that you know without a shadow of a doubt that Jack Trieber had prior knowledge.  And if you do not know without a shadow of a doubt, then it is reckless of you to post such.

I am confused.

Where did HB say words such as, "I know without a shadow of a doubt that Jack Trieber had prior knowledge"?

Is that in a previous post by HB?

This is getting more interesting.

Original WCBC article
http://wcbc.edu/articles/statement-regarding-dr-mike-zachary

Original GSBC article

New joint article
http://wcbc.edu/articles/joint-statement-of-dr-paul-chappell-and-dr-jack-trieber-regarding-dr-mike-zachary
or
http://gsbc.edu/recent_news/joint-statement-of-golden-state-baptist-college-and-west-coast-baptist-college/

Now they are covering tracks. The need for a joint statement is obvious, the originals were contradictory to say the least. This looks a lot like "collusion". I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this is not sitting well with me. The problem to me is not so much that it happened, (I am not ok with that, but that is not JT or PC's fault necessarily), the problem is he went from one ministry to another with these facts being either ignored or seriously minimized. PC didn't vet him? I dunno. JT didn't reveal it? I dunno. But it shouldn't have happened. Transfer for counselling, ok. Hired on as staff? Nope. That is the part that shouldn't have happened.

I saved them for myself in case this gets weirder and they start removing stuff from their sites.

bgwilkinson said:
Frag said:
Honey Badger said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

VS

~Fast Forward~

~My View~

I am confused.

Where did HB say words such as, "I know without a shadow of a doubt that Jack Trieber had prior knowledge"?

Don't get too confused with Frag. If there were a signed confession, he would complain there weren't enough witnesses to the signing.

With all that has happened and is happening here I must say that this is pretty much what I have come to expect from the ifb world. Not the fact that someone probably did something wrong and the respective pastors 'should have or should not have' is not even much of an issue with me. It has happened throughout history and will continue to happen. Whether or not MZ did something immoral is not even the main issue with me. The main issue is that immorality can be dealt with and swept under the rug without much afterthought. I can guarantee you that if someone had seen MZ's wife wearing pants he would never have been hired in the first place. Immorality is secondary in this environment. Once again, IMO!

BALAAM said:
With all that has happened and is happening here I must say that this is pretty much what I have come to expect from the ifb world. Not the fact that someone probably did something wrong and the respective pastors 'should have or should not have' is not even much of an issue with me. It has happened throughout history and will continue to happen. Whether or not MZ did something immoral is not even the main issue with me. The main issue is that immorality can be dealt with and swept under the rug without much afterthought. I can guarantee you that if someone had seen MZ's wife wearing pants he would never have been hired in the first place. Immorality is secondary in this environment. Once again, IMO!
This is what I disagree with. I am still wanting to let each matter stand on it's own merit.

The fact is it has happened throughout history in the entire evangelical church, it is not isolated to IFB'dom. I brought up names in another thread to T-Bone (SBC), same problem. Doug Philips, same problem. Bob Coy, same problem. Jim Bakker, same problem. Etc ad nauseam. When one has a bad experience in an IFB church, they see problems in them all. The truth is this has been a problem in churches since Corinth.

Now, the pants issue, this is not much talked about, but it is not a requirement for staff at LBC/WCBC whether they are voluntary or paid to follow the guideline of pants=men/skirts=women, except when they are on church property. You may think it is different, but I asked students both former and current, and staff themselves. Staff wife or SS Teacher grocery shopping in a pair of pants is a non-issue at LBC/WCBC.

I think it would be at NVBC/GSBC, but I have never had occasion to ask.

Edit: It is a non-issue at Crown also, I had occasion to ask.

My problem is the one that no one is talking about.  Why was Brad B. terminated?  Is it true that Brad B pulled a Wendell Evans and sold out his children for the ministry?  Did Brad B hide the knowledge of MZ's abuse of another like Joe Pa did at Penn State?  Did Brad B simply threaten to blow the lid off the thing so JT did away with him?

bgwilkinson said:
Frag said:
Honey Badger said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

VS

~Fast Forward~

~My View~

I am confused.

HB wrote, "Jack Trieber knew about this situation from the very beginning." 

Again, HB, how do you know without a shadow of a doubt that JT knew about this from the very beginning.  If you don't know this without a shadow of a doubt, IT IS RECKLESS AND WICKEDLY WRONG TO STATE THAT HE DID.