Missionary Tithes

Walt

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Was listening to a pastor who said that they REQUIRED all of their missionaries to support missions and to tithe.

The church takes all the funds that come in, deducts the missionary's tithe and mission support, and then sends on the rest.

I was appalled at this.  When I give to missions, I expect everything I give to support the missionary, NOT his home church.

But maybe I'm just naive -- is this really a common practice?

And... is it right?

Walt said:
Was listening to a pastor who said that they REQUIRED all of their missionaries to support missions and to tithe.

The church takes all the funds that come in, deducts the missionary's tithe and mission support, and then sends on the rest.

I was appalled at this.  When I give to missions, I expect everything I give to support the missionary, NOT his home church.

And... is it right?

I mean, shouldn't the missionary "tithe" to the church he's starting and not to his sending church?

I've heard of this.

Those pastors are crooks.

Walt said:
Walt said:

And... is it right?

I mean, shouldn't the missionary "tithe" to the church he's starting and not to his sending church?

Before one can answer that, modern income tithing would need to be found in the NT.

bgwilkinson said:
Walt said:
Walt said:

And... is it right?

Before one can answer that, modern income tithing would need to be found in the NT.

Now there you go again.....

The only way this makes sense to me is if the church is also the agency that "pays" the missionary. Then it becomes an issue of control of funds and is closely monitored by the IRS. Mission agencies prove their "control" by deducting an administrative fee from designated funds. 5 or 10% is normal.

Very common in that scenario. ABWE, New Tribes, YWAM and many others (if not all) do this.

bgwilkinson said:
Walt said:
Walt said:

And... is it right?

*SIGH* That's another issue - just assume that the church and the missionary both believe in tithing.

Twisted said:
I've heard of this.

Those pastors are crooks.

I guess I have heard of the practice; somewhat surprised to hear this man say it in church; I used to think well of his church, and this statement has dropped my respect for him.

subllibrm said:
The only way this makes sense to me is if the church is also the agency that "pays" the missionary. Then it becomes an issue of control of funds and is closely monitored by the IRS. Mission agencies prove their "control" by deducting an administrative fee from designated funds. 5 or 10% is normal.

Very common in that scenario. ABWE, New Tribes, YWAM and many others (if not all) do this.

I understand the above, and it should be clear to the missionary, and the supporting churches.

However, that was NOT what the pastor said: He said that they require all of their missionaries to give to missions. They act as the clearinghouse for their own missionaries, so he said that they take whatever comes in, deducts the missionary's "tithe" (10%) plus the missionary offering, and then send on the rest.  He never called it adminstrative costs, and 10% plus seems high - more are around, I would hope 3-5%

Walt said:
bgwilkinson said:
Walt said:
Walt said:

And... is it right?

*SIGH* That's another issue - just assume that the church and the missionary both believe in tithing.

I agree with BG here but even if both the church and the missionary believe in tithing; Is it a tithe if it is taken at gunpoint by force? I heard of as small business in this area that applied for some type of loan that they didn't get and they decided that it was because some of their employees were not tithing. They decided to deduct the tithe (or what they perceive as a tithe) from their paychecks. They lost some good employees and got in trouble besides. This goes against my grain.

bgwilkinson said:
Walt said:
Walt said:

And... is it right?

1. Agree with BG, Tithing is not a New Testament provision.  I give, I do not Tithe.

2. It is wrong for any pastor or agency to deduct a tithe or offering from a missionary or their staff members.  People should give as God directs them.  Forced compulsion is not true obedience.

BALAAM said:
Walt said:
bgwilkinson said:
Walt said:
Walt said:

And... is it right?

I agree with BG here but even if both the church and the missionary believe in tithing; Is it a tithe if it is taken at gunpoint by force? I heard of as small business in this area that applied for some type of loan that they didn't get and they decided that it was because some of their employees were not tithing. They decided to deduct the tithe (or what they perceive as a tithe) from their paychecks. They lost some good employees and got in trouble besides. This goes against my grain.

I completely agree; it should be a freewill offering, not a forced offering.

Walt said:

And... is it right?

So if this pastor ordains a man out of his church and supports him to go to an American city to start a new work, does he expect this man to tithe to his home church?  Do they deduct the same from his support?

Twisted said:
Walt said:

And... is it right?

So if this pastor ordains a man out of his church and supports him to go to an American city to start a new work, does he expect this man to tithe to his home church?  Do they deduct the same from his support?

I don't know; I was listening a recording of him preaching a missions conference - I couldn't have a conversation with him.

Ransom said:
Seems like an awful lot of work for five extra bucks a month.

I assume you are making a joke <SMILE>

However, it can run to significant money... Suppose a church sends out 20 missionaries, and the average budget is $3,000 a month.  By appropriating for themselves $300 a month, that's an extra $6,000 each month - $72,000 a year.

Walt said:

Yes, but mainly about the pitiful amount that IFB churches are reputed to give to missionaries, assuming they fill in all the right blanks on the questionnaire making sure their wives don't wear pyjama pants to bed and so forth.

Ransom said:
... making sure their wives don't wear pyjama pants to bed and so forth.

What??  Not *OUR* missionaries!

Ransom said:
Walt said:

Yes, but mainly about the pitiful amount that IFB churches are reputed to give to missionaries, assuming they fill in all the right blanks on the questionnaire making sure their wives don't wear pyjama pants to bed and so forth.
Can someone post an example of such a missionary questionnaire. I have heard people make fun of such practices but I have never found a IFB church who has one or see an example posted anywhere. I have always assumed these were IFB urban legends not fact.