Missionary Tithes

http://www.independentbaptistsermons.org/independentbaptistsermons/missions_questionnaire.html

http://www.stanleyheights.org/hp_wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MISSIONARY-QUESTIONNAIRE-updated.pdf

http://www.calvarybaptistcanon.org/users/calvarybaptistcanon_org/files/MissionaryQuestionnaire.pdf

http://www.bbtstjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Missionary-Questionnaire2.pdf

http://www.faithbaptistms.com/missionaries/missionquest.pdf

Those pastors should be prosecuted for larceny

sword said:
Can someone post an example of such a missionary questionnaire. I have heard people make fun of such practices but I have never found a IFB church who has one or see an example posted anywhere. I have always assumed these were IFB urban legends not fact.

Well, here's one, and here's another. Not as extreme as some of the ones I've seen discussed in the past, but still pretty intrusive.

11. Check each statement you agree with regarding godly dress
_____ Males wear pants at all times, and females wear dresses, no exception.
_____ Males wear pants, and females wear dresses most of the time. When immodesty becomes an issue with certain activities, then
there can be exceptions.
_____ The Bible only dictates modest, moderate, and gender specific dress, and anything other than this is legalism
_____ As long as the thigh is covered then short pants are acceptable for both men and women?
_____ God looks on the heart, and is not concerned with the outside
_____ In my opinion, pants designed specifically for women are gender specific clothing

Any takers who want to answer this one......

14. Please check the line that best describes your understanding of Romans 11.29
_____ Because I am called to the mission field, I will be a missionary, and will be on this field the rest of my life
_____ I will always be a missionary, but the field may change
_____ I am only a missionary till God is through with me, or He changes my calling. I may pastor, evangelize, start a children?s home, or anything else depending on what God wants.

This question bothers me!  The implication is that anyone who ever goes to a foreign field should stay there till death.  As far as I am concerned, if someone only spent 2 years evangelizing overseas, they have 2 more years than me.  Paul went on missionary journeys and would return home after each one (with the exception of his trip to Jerusalem that ended in Rome.)  Why can't we come up with a system that allows more people to take the gospel to the unreached areas of the globe without demanding a life sentence?

sword said:
Ransom said:
Walt said:
I assume you are making a joke <SMILE>

Yes, but mainly about the pitiful amount that IFB churches are reputed to give to missionaries, assuming they fill in all the right blanks on the questionnaire making sure their wives don't wear pyjama pants to bed and so forth.
Can someone post an example of such a missionary questionnaire. I have heard people make fun of such practices but I have never found a IFB church who has one or see an example posted anywhere. I have always assumed these were IFB urban legends not fact.

I have been in different churches that used them; on the old forum, a "Fighting" topic covered one that had the gall to ask missionaries what their wives wore to bed.

I was at a church that sent a letter to missionaries asking them if they believe the KJV was "inspired" with the clear threat to drop them if they didn't toe that line.

Walt said:
I was at a church that sent a letter to missionaries asking them if they believe the KJV was "inspired" with the clear threat to drop them if they didn't toe that line.

I had a missionary friend whose dad passed on. My friend was stuck. Churches were dropping him because he didn't use a kjv in India.

His dad had all kinds of kjv only churches (even though he wasn't).

Kjv only churches hurt the cause of Christ. So, missionaries shouldn't take support from them.

FSSL said:
Walt said:

I had a missionary friend whose dad passed on. My friend was stuck. Churches were dropping him because he didn't use a kjv in India.

His dad had all kinds of kjv only churches (even though he wasn't).

Kjv only churches hurt the cause of Christ. So, missionaries shouldn't take support from them.

I think that this last statement is unfair.  Maybe it's the churches that aren't KJV only that are hurting the cause of Christ.

Certainly, if a missionary is not KJV-only, he shouldn't accept support from churches that are.

Again, "KJV-only" has quite a range of meaning, from the Ruckmanite idea (espoused, as far as I can tell by G Riplinger and Bob Gray, Sr).  But there are others like the Dean Burgon society that utterly reject Ruckman's teaching, but hold that the KJV is a superior text translated by superior men from superior sources.  That's a different flavor of "KJV only"... and then there is the group that are usually called KJV-preferred, but whom their enemies, wishing to make them look bad call "KJV only".

Walt said:
I think that this last statement is unfair.  Maybe it's the churches that aren't KJV only that are hurting the cause of Christ.

KJV-only churches that require Indian churches to be KJV-only is hurting evangelism and the work of the missionary.

We cannot tithe even if we wanted to

That's impossible

BibleGal said:
We cannot tithe even if we wanted to

That's impossible

I'm not sure what you are trying to say -- "tithe" as a noun merely means 10 percent, and the verb "tithe" means to give a tithe, or 10%.  It isn't necessarily 10% of income - although that is understood in Christian circles.

But anyone can give 10% of their income, even if one doesn't believe that the command to tithe is valid for today.

FSSL said:
Walt said:

KJV-only churches that require Indian churches to be KJV-only is hurting evangelism and the work of the missionary.

Better... Indian churches should have the bible in their own language. Forcing non-native English speakers to use an English Bible is going to be a hindrance, I agree.

It also puts the missionary in a dishonest position. If he is expected to be KJVO, then he cannot be if he is using a translation for the Indians.

FSSL said:
It also puts the missionary in a dishonest position. If he is expected to be KJVO, then he cannot be if he is using a translation for the Indians.

True.

I don't want to make light of Bible version issues - the ONLY way we know about God is what He has chosen to reveal to us. Therefore, knowing what the Bible says is extremely important.  I don't know offhand how many words are in the Bible, but a difference of a handful of words that don't significantly affect the meaning is one thing, but a difference of pages and pages of text is another thing altogether.  There is too much difference between the Received Text and the Critical Text to accept both - I have decided to accept the Received Text.