Modesty

Bruh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
It's been awhile since we've discussed this and we have one or two newbies around here.

http://www.independentbaptist.com/2014/11/your-clothes-are-talking/

:)

This is the key to not getting a husband.

Modesty deals in Cost.
Period.

The modest atire of a godly woman?

Good works.

And...not Men's attire.

earnestly contend

Bruh said:
It's been awhile since we've discussed this and we have one or two newbies around here.

:)

One gets quite a group of people writing on independentbaptist.com - I don't have a problem with modesty; however, I DO have several problems with the article.

First is the utter lack of Scripture for any of his points; the Bible is supposed to be our authority - if you're not backing up your opinion with Scripture, then AT BEST you are giving guidelines only without authority.  It is merely the author's opinion regarding four fingers below the "U" - what about three?  Or two?  It's just someone's made-up rule, as are all of the rules he makes up.

The prescriptive rules may be helpful for some; however, the older I get in the faith, the more I find that such rules are used for people who are actually lost and not in Christ.  They don't have the Holy Spirit indwelling them to guide them into all truth; they don't have the Holy Spirit indwelling to show them what is modest -- so, they depend upon rules like this.

If a spirit-filled women desires in her heart to be modest, the Holy Spirit is well able to teach her what is modest.

I find, in so many IFB churches - especially the ones that push soul-winning hard -- that the gospel is reduced to a salesmanship campaign -- people are selling access to heaven for a magic prayer, and some of these people join the church as unregenerate, not knowing the true life that comes through Christ.  Such people need rules.

What does it say about a person who claims to be born-again, and living in fellowship with the the Father, and yet the Holy Spirit says nothing to them about their modesty?  Perhaps they don't actually have the Spirit of God?

I know that we all want to look right and wear clothes that match and all that. But, it sure seems to me that if any person spends that much time looking at themselves and others to make sure their clothes are right (in their opinion) and then walks out the door and in their mind pronounces themselves modest, holy, and righteous; Aren't they the opposite of modest?

One of the words used to define modest is unpretentious. This article tries to explain modesty but to me, comes off as very pretentious.

The thing that gets me in any of this type article or preaching is that they "assume" through the entire message.

IOW, if this, if that than you this or you that......how do any of them know this or that????

And ALWAYS give very very specific guidelines for example, you know if your shirt is to low if and this is how you can be sure your shirt isn't to low......like they got a PH.D. in dress standards from a university and of course they are judging everyone's spirituality on their standards and guidelines.

prophet said:
Twisted said:
prophet said:
Modesty deals in Cost.
Period.
Interesting.  Can you expound?
Get a dictionary.
earnestly contend
Looks like the term modesty can apply to ones clothing.

Several Definitions:

Behavior, manner, or appearance intended to avoid impropriety or indecency.

Regard for decency of behavior, speech, dress, etc.

Simplicity; moderation.

Correct or socially acceptable behavior and clothes, representing traditional cultural values:

Reserve or propriety in speech, dress, or behavior: Modesty prevented her from wearing that dress.

(Clothing & Fashion) (modifier) designed to prevent inadvertent exposure of part of the body: a modesty flap.

Behavior, especially by women, that is designed to avoid causing sexual feelings in other people.

Modesty and demureness is a mode of dress and deportment intended to avoid encouraging sexual attraction in others; actual standards vary widely. In this use, it can be considered inappropriate or immodest to reveal certain parts of the body. A modest person would behave so as to avoid encouraging the sexual attention of others.

Being clean and proper in thought, conduct, and dress

Prudish avoidance of sexual explicitness.

Bruh said:

Another perspective

http://qideas.org/articles/modesty-i-dont-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means/

I make a modest living.

What does that mean?

earnestly contend

prophet said:
I make a modest living.

What does that mean?

To the peasants in Somolia, you are rich beyond measure.

To Donald Trump, you are a peasant like those in Somolia.

Perspective.

prophet said:
Modesty deals in Cost.
Period.

Good works.

And...not Men's attire.

earnestly contend

Tennis Shoes were originally created for men.....would you consider this men's attire?

Do any of you know the author of the article?

Twisted said:
prophet said:
I make a modest living.

What does that mean?

To the peasants in Somolia, you are rich beyond measure.

To Donald Trump, you are a peasant like those in Somolia.

Perspective.
"Persoective"  means nothing, except for what the cost of living in my area means.

FTR:

The peasants in Somalia aren't capable of getting into the debt that I am, hence, they can never be as poor as a middle class American.

earnestly contend

Bruh said:
prophet said:
Modesty deals in Cost.
Period.

Good works.

And...not Men's attire.

earnestly contend

Tennis Shoes were originally created for men.....would you consider this men's attire?
Wake up, snoozy, you're losing your generation, while you get offended at what people think of how your wife dresses!

It isn't about you, it isn't even about clothes.
It's about women wearing good works.

earnestly contend

sword said:
Bruh said:

Another perspective

http://qideas.org/articles/modesty-i-dont-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means/

I'm quite a but under-impressed.  This is just as bad as the original article, perhaps worse.  The appeal is to selfishness - the summary is "Please yourself; dress however you like, and if men should lust, it is their own fault".

She does have good points: it is wrong to teach, implicitly or explicitly, that there is anything shameful about a woman being a woman.  The female form is not sinful, and girls should not be taught to be ashamed of their bodies.  Nor is it sinful if a man notices a woman.  It is sin on the man's fault if he begins to lust after her; it is also sin on her part if she is dressing immodestly.

As has been discussed elsewhere on the FFF, some men will lust after a woman, no matter how she is dressed, and how much is covered.  If she is dressed Biblically, no fault should be assigned to her.

Incidentally,  I have a friend who finds ankle-length dresses very alluring. I guess it's the mystery for him. But he has trained his mind to not dwell on her to avoid going to lust.

I always wonder what prompts a man to go around proclaiming what other men's wives / daughters should wear. As a married and obedient woman, I wear what my husband considers appropriate.

It is tempting to speculate that the men who are so terribly concerned about what other men's wives and daughters are wearing are the very men who have the most trouble controlling themselves . I wonder if there is truth to that?

prophet said:
FTR:

The peasants in Somalia aren't capable of getting into the debt that I am, hence, they can never be as poor as a middle class American.

LOL!  Great point!