Modesty

...when I was 18 years old, I packed my bags and headed to Bible school down south. I was an ?on-fire Christian,? who was excited to dedicate my entire life to ministry. In high school, I dressed like a normal teenage girl. Now, ?normal? then is a bit different from ?normal? now, but you get the point.

The dress code at my Bible school was much stricter than my Christian (minister) parent?s expectations were. I tried to obey the dress code, but it seemed like every other day, my clothing was being policed. One RA came up behind me and said, ?You look adorable today, but those pants are a bit too tight, and you need to go home and change.?

This was a mixed message and I felt embarrassed; I thought my pants were fine and within dress code. I would have gotten over it, if I had not been constantly told to go home to change for an entire year! I was not trying to break the rules, but many of the rules were subjective to what residence assistants believed were ?modest,? and I could not keep up with the confusing boundaries.

Looking back, I realize how much it harmed my heart to have many peers and ?mentors? looking me up and down, examining my body, counting how many curves were showing, counting inches of my skin, and subliminally teaching me that Jesus was more concerned about my clothing than my heart.

That year, I lost a bit of that ?fire? I had for Jesus. I was made to feel guilt and shame. I was forced to keep up with other people?s religious convictions and this stole my passion and freedom.

I was simply a teenage girl ? a human being trying to discover how to balance my love for Jesus with my love for fashion and my femininity.

<snip>

I was a youth pastor to BEACH teens who lived in bikinis and short shorts. Did I police their clothing? No, I taught them about Jesus and loved them as they were.

If a young woman would have shown up in something extremely revealing, I would have taken her aside and lovingly addressed it, with extreme sensitivity and without shaming; but I am a female.

Grown men church leaders should never be policing girls? and women?s clothing or bodies. It?s creepy and none of their business.

This is another reason we need more female pastors and church leaders.

<snip>

We have a spiritual enemy who has used religion to silence, objectify, limit, and control God?s daughters for far too long. Darkness has an agenda to keep patriarchy going strong in the Christian Church, and has blinded many children of God.

When we disagree on what?s biblical, as Christians, we should challenge one another in love and in Christian charity.

The Written Word of God says that the world will know that we are Christians by our love for one another (John 13:35); but something deeply spiritual happens when women and men begin to buck against patriarchy, that has been bathed in sacred-sounding language, such as ?Biblical Manhood,? ?Biblical Womanhood,? ?Modesty,? and ?Biblical Gender Roles.?

How Christian ?Modesty Rules? Contribute to Rape Culture

brainisengaged said:
I always wonder what prompts a man to go around proclaiming what other men's wives / daughters should wear. As a married and obedient woman, I wear what my husband considers appropriate.
It is tempting to speculate that the men who are so terribly concerned about what other men's wives and daughters are wearing are the very men who have the most trouble controlling themselves . I wonder if there is truth to that?
Some might say, as a pastor, it is his job to tell his members what the Bible says.

2 Timothy 4:2 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

I personally try not to tell others what to believe unless the Bible is completely clear on the matter. There are so many grey areas, how can I expect everyone to interpret things just as I do.

Ha ha ha... I only just noticed the author of the article in the original post. Or should I say, authoress? Quite familiar  with said person! She definitely has a clear understanding of all the between-the-lines extra-Biblical authority that most of us mere mortals will never grasp!

prophet said:
Bruh said:
prophet said:
Modesty deals in Cost.
Period.

The modest atire of a godly woman?

Good works.

And...not Men's attire.

earnestly contend

Tennis Shoes were originally created for men.....would you consider this men's attire?
Wake up, snoozy, you're losing your generation, while you get offended at what people think of how your wife dresses!

It isn't about you, it isn't even about clothes.
It's about women wearing good works.

earnestly contend

????? I'm sorry what was that???....????????