My first week at HAC!

Teri in NC said:
RAIDER said:
Teri in NC said:
What do remember about your first day in a FBCH ministry? 

I did not join a ministry for a few weeks.  I thought I would try out a few before making that commitment. 

I'm not sure why I did that. 

I tried Bible Club and fell in love with the concept of ministering to public school kids to entice them to come play basketball, feed them, and then preach. 

I stayed in that ministry all four years.

When I was there, Bible Clubs were not recognized as an 'approved' ministry; therefore, it did not count for my required one year of ministry service.  My preacher's daughter was engaged to Rim Tasmussen and he let me be on his route often enough to count it. :)

No bus captain could have put up with you in an enclosed area like a bus for more than 10 minutes.

As loud as I was, you are probably right.

"Was"????

RAIDER said:
Teri in NC said:
RAIDER said:
Teri in NC said:
What do remember about your first day in a FBCH ministry? 

I did not join a ministry for a few weeks.  I thought I would try out a few before making that commitment. 

I'm not sure why I did that. 

I tried Bible Club and fell in love with the concept of ministering to public school kids to entice them to come play basketball, feed them, and then preach. 

I stayed in that ministry all four years.

When I was there, Bible Clubs were not recognized as an 'approved' ministry; therefore, it did not count for my required one year of ministry service.  My preacher's daughter was engaged to Rim Tasmussen and he let me be on his route often enough to count it. :)

No bus captain could have put up with you in an enclosed area like a bus for more than 10 minutes.

As loud as I was, you are probably right.

"Was"????

:)

IFB X-Files said:
BALAAM said:
About the only teacher that I can recall that  actually told students to read and study would have been Bill Grady.

You either missed or have forgotten Joe Combs' classic taped message:  How To Be a Better Student

(mp3 copy available for only $19.95!)

Joe Combs was a little before my time.

Teri in NC said:
I recall getting on a plane in Raleigh, NC with my classmate and good buddy from school, Taylor Gordy, and being scared to death to leave home...while excited at the same time.

I had planned on going to "Jack Hyles' college" since I was in third grade.

There were already a lot of people from my church there, so I did not think I would be homesick.

I fell in love with Chicago on the shuttle ride from O'Hare to the college.

Too bad your plane didn't land in Green Bay!

I remember standing in registration line.  It seems like there was one day that juniors and seniors registered, and a separate day for freshman and sophomores.  One of my roommates told me to get there early.  I did, and I was still in a long line that wound through the hallways. 

One year in Registration (don't remember if it was my first year or not), a guy with a full beard was in line. One of the staff came up to him and told him that if he were going to register, he needed to go shave first.

My Freshman year, a fellow HB punk and I were standing by the Post Office during registration. Anyway, a certain demerit counselor walked by and down the hall. Another new student, clearly an International as he spoke very broken English, had a question and my friend told him to go see Brother ^($^(*} (yes, a curse word) down the hall. We stepped into the post office door and peeked our heads out to see the poor student looking ashamed and the DC stomping down the hallway to find out who pointed the poor soul to him. They walked right by the post office door but boy, was he mad!

From another forum, from a guy who registered in the Fall of 1974:

My experience was different. Checked into the Hammond Baptist dorms which they assigned 9 people to our room. I asked the lady who was in charge of registration ( in my Detroit way) "who was the character that assigned nine guys to our room?". To which she snapped " We don't have characters at Hyles-Anderson". Good times.

First Saturday on the bus route I learned that you were a deadbeat if you drove from apt. to apt. to visit the kids. You were to drive to the route and run from apt. to apt. even if it took you a lot longer.

RAIDER said:
I remember standing in registration line.  It seems like there was one day that juniors and seniors registered, and a separate day for freshman and sophomores.  One of my roommates told me to get there early.  I did, and I was still in a long line that wound through the hallways.
I wonder if they have to stock up the line with 'stand ins' now, just to make it look 'the good old days'?

I remember Doc Evans leading the old hymns in his way......uptempo, enthusiasm, pulpit-pounding & lots of life. Good memories.

RAIDER said:
I know many of you will have to turn the clock back a bit on this one.  Take us back to your first week at HAC.  What do you remember about dorm life?  What do remember about your first day in a FBCH ministry?  What memories do you have of your first chapel and church service?  What are your first memories of your roommates?  Tell us about it!

I was assigned to a dorm room at Baptist City.

I remember what I think was my first night at Baptist City. I went outside my room to watch some boxing matches that were ongoing in the grass. I believe it was Bill Stafford that cleaned the clocks of several that took up his challenge. It was like "Fight Club," for us for a few matches with the dorm guys crowding around the combatants. There was the ooing and awing with each connection! A loud cheer and wild laughter went up when a knockout was delivered!

I think that evening was one of the many subjects brought up by Meister, when he conducted our first split chapel session with the dorm guys.

RAIDER said:
I know many of you will have to turn the clock back a bit on this one.  Take us back to your first week at HAC.  What do you remember about dorm life?  What do remember about your first day in a FBCH ministry?  What memories do you have of your first chapel and church service?  What are your first memories of your roommates?  Tell us about it!
I hadn't lived in N.W.I. for awhile, but I was an H.B. brat, so this was kinda "home".
I was advised to move into the dorms, so I did.
Malone 1
One of my roommates is still a close friend.
One of them came out of the closet.
One didn't make it to Dec.
The last one was a decent guy who didn't belong there.

The fight began the first day...

Earnestly Contend

I see Dr Evans in a few weeks...I'm asking him about DH degree?

This was not the 1st week but I believe it was my 1st year at HAC & in the old chapel/auditorium CW Fisk preached & though it was more motivation then Bible preaching it's alway stuck in my memory.

Came upon this pic today & it spurred the memory again. The quote was the springboard for the entire message.

a very gracious older lady sing "your something special" in chapel, really made me feel loved and appreciated.

Gunlover said:
a very gracious older lady sing "your something special" in chapel, really made me feel loved and appreciated.

Had to be Mrs. Johnson!

I remember when Saturday came.  FBCH was known for the bus ministry.  I had been involved with the bus ministry back home and thought I would join.  Because I did not know anyone at HAC, I had not been warned about this bus ministry.

We were taken into the auditorium and a "bus draft" took place.  Just my luck, I ended up being drafted by a guy who was a senior and did not have a car.  He felt that you should not leave the route before 9:30 on Saturday night.  He also felt it was the unpardonable sin to not ride the night bus.  What a long year.

IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
...I ended up being drafted by a guy who was a senior and did not have a car.  He felt that you should not leave the route before 9:30 on Saturday night.  He also felt it was the unpardonable sin to not ride the night bus.  What a long year.

And what became of this soldier of the faith?  How large was the route?

I don't know what ever happened to him.  He wanted to be a missionary to Africa.  He wasn't married and had few dates.  He was one committed dude.  His bus route meant more to him than anything. The route was in Chicago and was probably 6 blocks by 6 blocks.  We would arrive around 10:30am and would leave around 9:30pm.  A guy from anther route would drop us off and we would be on foot all day. 

I am awestruck at all the beautiful Christian ladies and thank MY GOD that I waited to get here to find the one GOD had for me!

16KJV11 said:
I am awestruck at all the beautiful Christian ladies and thank MY GOD that I waited to get here to find the one GOD had for me!
And then I met CF... ???