NT giving

prophet

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
To continue the discussion from another thread, I would like to submit the following for discussion...

Which epistle admonishes and instructs The Church to give a tithe?

Please don't quote Malachi, it is obviously written to a Nation, explaining their failure to keep an agreement and the ensuing curse....you will just be exposing your lack of studying ability.

Haklo

IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:

Simple.  There is none.
Obviously.

So then, what admonishment are we given?

Haklo

prophet said:
IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:

Simple.  There is none.

Simple.  God has given you everything you have.  It all belongs to Him.

When you see a need, give, and when you give, give cheerfully.

IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:
IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:

Simple.  There is none.

I find no fault in this, man.

Haklo

He is a nice graphic to add to the discussion.

11800237_521298084685223_8623839319354838375_n.jpg

IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:
IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:

Simple.  There is none.

Yes the law, while very strict only required a limit on what was required.  while grace living seems to be free of rules our conscience as driven by the Holy Spirit makes us understand that our adoption is much more over encompassing if we were to be true to our God in honoring h price in which we were bought and paid for.

Meaning paying a tithe no longer frees you from your obligation.  You were called beyond the law to live a grace life.

There are many examples of how grace calls us beyond the law.  eg Hate=murder, Looking/Lusting=Adultry, ect   

bgwilkinson said:

Soooooooo, the church you currently attend does not believe the NT teaches the tithe?

Bruh said:
bgwilkinson said:

Soooooooo, the church you currently attend does not believe the NT teaches the tithe?

Even the Jew shouldn't tithe anymore. The storehouse is gone. The temple destroyed. The priestly order of Aaron bypassed.

Just where do find anything to direct the giving of the tithe? The Jew never built their own little temples and establish their own priestly order of inheritance in the land.

When was the last time you saw a son of Aaron to give your tithe?

prophet said:
To continue the discussion from another thread, I would like to submit the following for discussion...

Please don't quote Malachi, it is obviously written to a Nation, explaining their failure to keep an agreement and the ensuing curse....you will just be exposing your lack of studying ability.

Haklo

The epistles (and Jesus in the gospels) instruct us to give -- why should it be limited to a tithe?

Passages on giving are throughout the NT.

Walt said:
prophet said:

Haklo

The epistles (and Jesus in the gospels) instruct us to give -- why should it be limited to a tithe?

There are many reasons to limit "giving".

Here, let me share a couple. There are more. 

1Ti 5:8  But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

The verse above also covers those who give so much money to the local church..... that they deprive their own family!!!! Don't tell it doesn't happen. I know it does. It happens many times among poor believers. In fact, most of the ignorant bastards preaching such giving are mis-quoting the poor widow who gave all she had in the treasury.

1Ti 5:3  Honour widows that are widows indeed.
1Ti 5:4  But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.

Thank God for personal responsibility. Now, there are times when we can't help ourselves. That's when we need each other. However, we should do as the Scriptures demand. Limit our giving to others so we can take care of our own.

Walt said:
prophet said:

Haklo

1. Since "a tithe" is never mentioned, there is no reason to bring it up.

2. Yes there are many passages, both doctrine and example, of giving in the NT.  These look nothing like what is popularly taught in American churches.

Haklo

2Co 9:5 — 2Co 9:7
Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

A matter of bounty....

Not of necessity....

God places people in the church who have extra to give.
It is one of the gifts of The Spirit to the Church.
God doesn't want anyone "giving" money that they owe.
God wants equality, by those who have extra giving to those who lack.
This has always been the plan, since the Church began.
Rome changed this, and we have fallen for it.
We have become corporations, with corporately held expensive properties, that cause us corporately held debts and expenditures, and we heap the burden of those unscriptural decisions upon all, no matter their financial state.

W/o The Spirit, this system can't work.
See communism, and its failure.
But, in a family of people, who believe the same Word, The Spirit bearing witness, this is natural.
We had to invent layers upon layers of false teaching, to eradicate this, and yet, still many practice this, by new nature, in their private life.

Haklo

What are your thoughts on how a pastor should teach and preach to his people about giving?

RAIDER said:
What are your thoughts on how a pastor should teach and preach to his people about giving?

Simple.

1. Take care of your own first and foremost.
2. Give as you have to give.
3. Follow the Spirit in giving. Nothing else.
4. Lay up treasures in heaven. Realize this life ends. Only what we settle in eternity will last.
5. Don't get so caught up in trying to "get rewards" that you forget you're suppose to be helping others. Not yourself. True giving..... gives.... expecting nothing in return..... Even from God. I'm not looking for a mansion. I looking for a room in Eternity. I'm pretty sure a mansion won't matter much. (which by the way, is one of the worst translation in the KJV. It really is teaching God's people to covet wealth in Eternity)

praise_yeshua said:
RAIDER said:

Simple.

1. Take care of your own first and foremost.
2. Give as you have to give.
3. Follow the Spirit in giving. Nothing else.
4. Lay up treasures in heaven. Realize this life ends. Only what we settle in eternity will last.
5. Don't get so caught up in trying to "get rewards" that you forget you're suppose to be helping others. Not yourself. True giving..... gives.... expecting nothing in return..... Even from God. I'm not looking for a mansion. I looking for a room in Eternity. I'm pretty sure a mansion won't matter much. (which by the way, is one of the worst translation in the KJV. It really is teaching God's people to covet wealth in Eternity)

Just for interest sake, do you know of a IFB church that does it "this way"?