One Church, Many Campuses

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Pastor is a Rock Star! Thousands of lives they have influenced for God but somehow never found among that multitude another man who could preach.  8)

If each campus has a different pastor/teacher/preacher, who becomes the Rock star?

The one I was thinking near here has the same guy piped into three other "campuses". Four congregations tallied up as one, three of which get to watch the pastor on television. Why didn't they just plant three churches with their own pastors? Why do they not have other men who could preach? You know, the whole teach faithful men who will teach others kind of thing. In the case I am referring to it's pushing 20k people now. So why is he a rock star? Because it is about branding the pastor/church, not about the great commission IMO.

To your question, if each has it's own leadership then what is the "satellite" being referred to? Wouldn't they just be sister churches?

BTW while there is a certain "me too" thinking in IFB (Wally Beebe bus training on vinyl! Get yours now. Let the Methodist have the vans, amen?) it also happens elsewhere. If satellite is how Rick Warren and Andy Stanley can minister to so many thousands of people then it must be the right was to grow the church, right?

I don't know the reasoning behind their decision, obviously.
But, personally, I see nothing wrong with the concept...not to say it hasn't been abused or misused...but to say it's always  wrong and motivated by pride is also wrong. I was very active in church planting for 20 years and they very often fail.
So for an established church to use their staff and their proven methods to plant satellites is not wrong.

But, that's just me....

^^^This^^^

Wait...

Looking at the title for this thread, I thought this would have been another "Local Church vs. Church Universal" debate.  ;D

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Pastor is a Rock Star! Thousands of lives they have influenced for God but somehow never found among that multitude another man who could preach.  8)

If each campus has a different pastor/teacher/preacher, who becomes the Rock star?

The one I was thinking near here has the same guy piped into three other "campuses". Four congregations tallied up as one, three of which get to watch the pastor on television. Why didn't they just plant three churches with their own pastors? Why do they not have other men who could preach? You know, the whole teach faithful men who will teach others kind of thing. In the case I am referring to it's pushing 20k people now. So why is he a rock star? Because it is about branding the pastor/church, not about the great commission IMO.

To your question, if each has it's own leadership then what is the "satellite" being referred to? Wouldn't they just be sister churches?

BTW while there is a certain "me too" thinking in IFB (Wally Beebe bus training on vinyl! Get yours now. Let the Methodist have the vans, amen?) it also happens elsewhere. If satellite is how Rick Warren and Andy Stanley can minister to so many thousands of people then it must be the right was to grow the church, right?

But, personally, I see nothing wrong with the concept...not to say it hasn't been abused or misused...but to say it's always  wrong and motivated by pride is also wrong. I was very active in church planting for 20 years and they very often fail.
So for an established church to use their staff and their proven methods to plant satellites is not wrong.

But, that's just me....

I have no problem with leveraging the strength of the existing church to get the new one up and running. Another church near me has started (note not planted) 10 churches in the last 8 years. Only one failed to grow and closed. They used the main church to train and develop the leadership that were sent to build the new congregations. At least one of the remaining churches has already sent out its own team to start a church. What you don't hear is the pastor at the original church claiming to be the leader 11 congregations or having "x" number of members. He leads a church that starts churches. That seems not only a wise use of resources but also eerily biblical.  :)

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:

But, that's just me....

^^^This^^^

Same with me

It would not be my choice but the idea of a much wiser, older man as Lead pastor over several younger inexperienced pastors makes some sense to me.
The younger guys may be able to preach & even do some counseling but not have the experience to manage a large ministry. There is much more to pastoring than just preaching the sermon.

For you Home church guys this model would work great.

Main campus in your home & a satellite church in of your neighbors’ homes.

Each sub-division street would have its official church.

Main Street Baptist Home church
First Street Baptist Home church
Second Street Baptist Home church & so on.

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:

But, that's just me....

I have no problem with leveraging the strength of the existing church to get the new one up and running. Another church near me has started (note not planted) 10 churches in the last 8 years. Only one failed to grow and closed. They used the main church to train and develop the leadership that were sent to build the new congregations. At least one of the remaining churches has already sent out its own team to start a church. What you don't hear is the pastor at the original church claiming to be the leader 11 congregations or having "x" number of members. He leads a church that starts churches. That seems not only a wise use of resources but also eerily biblical.  :)

This man clearly does not have a Pride problem & is getting the job done.

This should be a model for all large ministries.

My former church planted one church each year (usually within a 50 mile radius of our church) for some 25 years before (and ever) exploring other options beginning with on-campus "venues" about 15 years ago for a number of reasons:

1. Flexibility of campus usability. - Church was full even after multiple services so having other existing buildings on campus used via - closed-circuit TV created "more space".

2. This also offered group affinities. I was in leadership of the singles ministry and we were the first to start. It was successful with 400-500 attendees each Saturday service that occured at the same time as the 430pm and 630pm "big house" service.  Interestingly some singles initially felt "marginalized" but it wasn't mandatory of course and some singles can  feel slighted in a "family-church". There would later be other successful affinity venues based on music or ethnic styles. Each venue had it's own ministry team...pastor, worship leader and a very heavy emphasis on small groups including part-time Small Group Community leaders. (We had 5 such leaders for over 300 small groups just in the singles ministry...some went to the venue....others not).

3. Based on the success of the venues and the way people related to CCTV sermons, we began with one satellite campus about 15 miles away. There was a fairly decent sized paid staff including full-time pastor, Sunday School leaders and counseling and Celebrate Recovery program. Three times a month the sermons were from the original campus and then the other was preached live by the local satellite pastor.

4 This grew and many other satellites in the Southern California area were birthed. Now some internationally.

Pro's

* Good use of financial resources by not putting major dollars into buildings. Start with renting schools or other temporary facilities until viability is assured. At that point some have purchased property and have become more autonomous.

* Raises up leaders from the church in an internship style. Most of the satellites have been started by those who began in the main church.

* Builds a brand. Like staying at a Marriott, a person can know what to expect.

Con's

* Build's a brand. Can evolve in loyalty to the brand and not God.

* Can become celebrity-oriented.

* Possible discomfort for established churches in a "new area" when the "brand" rolls into town. I would feel uncomfortable about this I think but I'm a business guy who looks at competition from a different angle.

* IMO when it's done in a regionalized area it has the appearance of less "flash" or celebrity-minded  than a multi-state or international footprint.

This sounds like a good model.

As long as the larger ones gain independence at some point, I think its great way to grow & expand.

My sister attended a "mega" church for awhile, then the church started an outreach of starting new churches in near by towns. Although they loved their church and were comfortable with it, my sister and her family decided to help in one of the outreach churches. It is less than a year old, and growing fast. They are very active in the community-very impressed. I was able to attend this past November. While not my style, I am very impressed how the Lord is using them. They baptize at the main campus, and initially all the "workers" came from the main campus. It is working-reaching others for Christ!

HeDied4U said:
Well, somehow I totally misunderstood my friend.

Turns out that each campus pastor actually does deliver the sermon at his location. It's the same sermon outline used at each campus, but delivered in the style of each individual pastor.
Teaching the same sermon is impossible per scripture. Teachers are full of the spirit which leads their preaching. If he is using another Elder/Pastors Sermons then he needs to step down from that position and allow the other Elders, who are gifted enough in Teaching and preaching, to do exactly that.
This is how Apostle Paul set it up, it is commanded. A church in direct violation of this is no church at all.

Some smaller assemblies, especially home churches, may not have the luxury of having multiple Elders who can teach. And people may live in an area where there really isn't a true biblical church and choose to settle. But any true Biblical church large enough would have plural elders as indicated in 2 Tim with the word "those"

2 Tim The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.

kaba said:
My sister attended a "mega" church for awhile, then the church started an outreach of starting new churches in near by towns. Although they loved their church and were comfortable with it, my sister and her family decided to help in one of the outreach churches. It is less than a year old, and growing fast. They are very active in the community-very impressed. I was able to attend this past November. While not my style, I am very impressed how the Lord is using them. They baptize at the main campus, and initially all the "workers" came from the main campus. It is working-reaching others for Christ!

Good post. Glad it is working well for this new church.

It also brings up a good point. "Exciting" churches with small "c" charismatic pastor can draw people for many reasons...some the preaching, some the music style, some the "experience", etc. Hopefully more than one.  It's exciting to be part of something big and growing. But there are many there who are willing to leave that environment to rise early Sunday morning to lug about and set up chairs and sound equipment in the local high school gym, setup ad hoc SS classrooms, information tables, coffee, etc.  and then tear it all down in a few hours. They have chosen to leave behind the comfort and "excitement" for the hard work of church building.

(purposely avoiding here the overused "megachurch" here as in it's pure form only relates to size) with not the most pure of motive (for entertainment,