Open, close, or closed communion

pastorryanhayden

Elect
Reaction score
Please state your position and biblical argument for it.

I grew up in an open/close communion environment.  The church I pastor is closed communion.  (Always has been, when they hired me I told them i was unsure of my position and we would stay closed until I came to a conviction on it and taught it to the church.)

I really think the bible seems to favor closed or at least strictly close communion.  When I get to a keyboard ill make my case for it.

pastorryanhayden said:

I grew up in an open/close communion environment.  The church I pastor is closed communion.  (Always has been, when they hired me I told them i was unsure of my position and we would stay closed until I came to a conviction on it and taught it to the church.)

I really think the bible seems to favor closed or at least strictly close communion.  When I get to a keyboard ill make my case for it.

Im interested for your case for closed communion.

The question for me is whose table is it...if it is the churches table then they have the right to exclude other believers from it, but I want to tell them they will have to share a space at the marriage supper of the Lamb.  To me it is simple, it's the Lord's table, therefore all those who belong to Him are welcome at His table...if He accepts them, who am I to tell them they are not welcome.

A side question for those who practice closed communion...do you also require everyone to be baptized in your local church in order to be a member, and if not why do you do it one way for one ordinance and not for the other?

pastorryanhayden said:

Can't make a decision until Castor and rsc2a have chimed in to tell us which versions are pagan.

Ransom said:
pastorryanhayden said:

Can't make a decision until Castor and rsc2a have chimed in to tell us which versions are pagan.

Communion pagan? Huh?

pastorryanhayden said:

We practice closed communion at a Sunday evening gathering scheduled outside of regularly scheduled services (we only have one Sunday service in the AM).

Ransom said:
pastorryanhayden said:

The pagan versions are pagan.  Satisfied?

Posting so I can watch this thread. 

Carry on.  ;)

Castor Muscular said:

You sound annoyed. Perhaps all the threads about whether church traditions are biblical or pagan, have started to bore you?

Ransom said:
Castor Muscular said:

You sound annoyed. Perhaps all the threads about whether church traditions are biblical or pagan, have started to bore you?

Darn tootin.  You should ban whoever started all those dang threads.

rsc2a said:
Ransom said:
pastorryanhayden said:

Communion pagan? Huh?

Seriously, I don't think today's version of communion has pagan roots.  It just got stupid on its own.  I prefer the "love feast" style sans gluttony and drunkenness. 

Any argument for closed communion must take into account whether or not Judas participated in the communion at the last supper.  We've already covered that ground in another thread, I think.  Maybe that was another forum, though. 

Pagan communion? We don't do that but it is vegan!  ;D

To the OP we do open and always have. Scripture says "examine yourself". It is not the proper place or role of the church to make that call. Remember the  one who participates "unworthily" brings to himself judgement. Yes, it is a corporate event but the act is individual.

T-Bone said:
The question for me is whose table is it...if it is the churches table then they have the right to exclude other believers from it, but I want to tell them they will have to share a space at the marriage supper of the Lamb.  To me it is simple, it's the Lord's table, therefore all those who belong to Him are welcome at His table...if He accepts them, who am I to tell them they are not welcome.

A side question for those who practice closed communion...do you also require everyone to be baptized in your local church in order to be a member, and if not why do you do it one way for one ordinance and not for the other?

Open. Tradition: It's what my churches have always done. My theological argument for it is the same as T-Bone's.

It might or might not be vegan. We use homemade unleavened bread, and I haven't asked about the ingredients.

Izdaari said:
T-Bone said:

Open. Tradition: It's what my churches have always done. My theological argument for it is the same as T-Bone's.

It might or might not be vegan. We use homemade unleavened bread, and I haven't asked about the ingredients.

Man..... we agree on something. Open is the only way to go. There does need to be a warning concerning just like Paul gave in 1 Cor 11:27.

On a side note, most congregation seem to do communion too often or too little. Not saying there is a biblical standard. Just seems some get carried away and others could care less about it.

christundivided said:
Man..... we agree on something. Open is the only way to go. There does need to be a warning concerning just like Paul gave in 1 Cor 11:27.

Really?  You think you should warn them about getting drunk or eating up all the food before everyone shows up?  Because that's what he was referring to when he said "unworthy manner". 

The 1 Cor 11:27 warning is 100% totally unnecessary in today's church environment.  IMO, the problem is that communion has gone to the opposite extreme (Olympic style synchronized eating and drinking).  Unless you're worried someone is going to splash the grape juice around and throw up broken crackers as confetti, your church doesn't have the slightest risk of anyone taking it in an unworthy manner. 

Castor Muscular said:
christundivided said:

Really?  You think you should warn them about getting drunk or eating up all the food before everyone shows up?  Because that's what he was referring to when he said "unworthy manner".

So I shouldn't be taking swigs of the juice while I'm filling the shot glasses?

Castor Muscular said:
christundivided said:

You're being silly. Paul's statement extends beyond what you read immediately proceeding verse and what he teaches previously in his letter. Communion is a focus on Christ alone. It is not a means to a end. Whatever might replace that focus or whatever motives you to partake are in question. You're hung up "things"... when the verse is about a pure, rich, all consuming focus on Christ.

christundivided said:
Castor Muscular said:
christundivided said:

You're being silly. Paul's statement extends beyond what you read immediately proceeding verse and what he teaches previously in his letter. Communion is a focus on Christ alone. It is not a means to a end.

Okay, then tell me what "unworthy manner" you want to prevent by giving the warning? 

Castor Muscular said:
christundivided said:
Castor Muscular said:
christundivided said:

You're being silly. Paul's statement extends beyond what you read immediately proceeding verse and what he teaches previously in his letter. Communion is a focus on Christ alone. It is not a means to a end.

Okay, then tell me what "unworthy manner" you want to prevent by giving the warning?

I was adding this to post when you replied.

Whatever might replace that focus or whatever motives you to partake are in question. You're hung up "things"... when the verse is about a pure, rich, all consuming focus on Christ.