Our church doesn't have a regular Sunday night service.

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Are we less spiritual or less 'Biblical' than those who do?
Why or why not?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Why or why not?

Did you used to have one, and drop it, or have you never had one?

Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Why or why not?

What possible difference would that make?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Why or why not?

As someone in the other thread intimated it is the churches that have the most services that are less biblical. ie. depend on works for salvation.

More services = works salvation

Less services = salvation by grace

Well that is what I got out of it.

So the church with just one service per week would be all of grace.

HaHa!  Then the most "graceful" church wouldn't have any services at all! 

Just send your tithes to PO Box XXX to receive a blessing!

Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Why or why not?

For many years, we had a Sunday night service, but stopped about 12 years ago.
We have three 'semesters' of elective classes on Sunday evenings.

lnf said:
HaHa!  Then the most "graceful" church wouldn't have any services at all! 

Just send your tithes to PO Box XXX to receive a blessing!

Following the logic of some, you make a point.  :)

I have no problem with those who have a Sunday evening service, of course.
But fail to find a Biblical mandate for such...or a Biblical foundation that it is wrong not to have one.

Frankly, I don’t see why service times/frequency of services should be written in stone.  Instead of focusing on the pros and cons of Sunday evening services (or any other service times/programs, for that matter), I think we should be asking different questions.  Such as:  “Is our outreach effective?  Are we capitalizing on our outreach efforts through our service times/frequency, discipleship, and specialized programs?  Are we serving our community’s spiritual needs?”

Answering these questions honestly might serve as an affirmation to a vibrant church, or it could lead to needed changes in the activities/efforts of a stagnant church.

Just my 2¢…which might be worth quite a bit less than that due to inflation.  ;D 

lnf said:
“Is our outreach effective?  Are we capitalizing on our outreach efforts through our service times/frequency, discipleship, and specialized programs?  Are we serving our community’s spiritual needs?”

Given the above "measurements", your assembly has much bigger problems than service times and frequency.  The assembling of the saints is not for outreach.  Reaching the lost may be a side-effect, but that's not the purpose. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
lnf said:
“Is our outreach effective?  Are we capitalizing on our outreach efforts through our service times/frequency, discipleship, and specialized programs?  Are we serving our community’s spiritual needs?”

Given the above "measurements", your assembly has much bigger problems than service times and frequency.  The assembling of the saints is not for outreach.  Reaching the lost may be a side-effect, but that's not the purpose.

Umm, Mr. Tomato, I don't believe I linked outreach to "scheduled services".  Either I am a poor communicator or you have viewed my comments through the bias I perceive you have toward the predominant church model.  Whichever doesn't really matter.  I'm willing to explain what I meant.

What I meant was that outreach happens outside of the church building.  But at some point in time, those people reached through "outreach" will (hopefully) be sitting in regular/special services in the church building.  Are we discipling them? Are we offering opportunities for them to grow in Christ through our programs?  That's what I meant by capitalizing on our outreach efforts.

The focus I meant to convey is that the church has a responsibility to help "Baby Christians" grow into "Mature Christians".

Do you disagree?   

lnf said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
lnf said:
“Is our outreach effective? Are we capitalizing on our outreach efforts through our service times/frequency, discipleship, and specialized programs?  Are we serving our community’s spiritual needs?”

Umm, Mr. Tomato, I don't believe I linked outreach to "scheduled services".  Either I am a poor communicator or you have viewed my comments through the bias I perceive you have toward the predominant church model.  Whichever doesn't really matter.  I'm willing to explain what I meant.

What I meant was that outreach happens outside of the church building.  But at some point in time, those people reached through "outreach" will (hopefully) be sitting in regular/special services in the church building.  Are we discipling them? Are we offering opportunities for them to grow in Christ through our programs?  That's what I meant by capitalizing on our outreach efforts.

The focus I meant to convey is that the church has a responsibility to help "Baby Christians" grow into "Mature Christians".

Do you disagree?   

Tarheel Baptist said:
But fail to find a Biblical mandate for such...or a Biblical foundation that it is wrong not to have one.

I think an autonomous church has the freedom to choose when they meet, where they meet and the style of meeting they will have.

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I think an autonomous church has the freedom to choose when they meet, where they meet and the style of meeting they will have.

I agree. It might be a good choice for some and bad choice for others. Each needs to follow the leading of the Spirit of God..... and YES. God leads some of His children to do things.... He doesn't lead others to do or not do. ;)

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Autonomy of the local ecclesia, how distinctively Baptist.

Convinced Baptists concur.

bgwilkinson said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Autonomy of the local ecclesia, how distinctively Baptist.

Convinced Baptists concur.

As long as you do it the way they do!  ;)

Tarheel Baptist said:

The Grammy Awards were on this past Sunday Night. The opening performance was "Highway to Hell."

If churches don't have evening services on Sunday night, there's always something else for them to see.

A Biblical foundation could be made for having church "daily, and in every house." I think the early church wasn't as concerned with how little they could meet - but how much.

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

And they will be judge on the FFF as judging others because they have a Sunday and Wednesday night services. 

bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Why or why not?

As someone in the other thread intimated it is the churches that have the most services that are less biblical. ie. depend on works for salvation.

More services = works salvation

Less services = salvation by grace

Well that is what I got out of it.

So the church with just one service per week would be all of grace.

So what does this say about the assembly you attend...........defiantly a works salvation assembly. 

Liberty1 said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

The Grammy Awards were on this past Sunday Night. The opening performance was "Highway to Hell."

If churches don't have evening services on Sunday night, there's always something else for them to see.

A Biblical foundation could be made for having church "daily, and in every house." I think the early church wasn't as concerned with how little they could meet - but how much.

That's because they were not as spiritually mature as those that post on the FFF.