Our church doesn't have a regular Sunday night service.

Liberty1 said:
The Grammy Awards were on this past Sunday Night. The opening performance was "Highway to Hell."

If the television schedule should determine when to be at church then we would never be anywhere else. There is always something objectionable on TV.

Liberty1 said:
If churches don't have evening services on Sunday night, there's always something else for them to see.

And this does not apply to Friday night? Or Tuesday? Or Thursday morning?

Liberty1 said:
A Biblical foundation could be made for having church "daily, and in every house." I think the early church wasn't as concerned with how little they could meet - but how much.

So again why "only" the few scheduled now?

You seem to have it in your mind that the absence of a Sunday evening service means the absence of any interest in spiritual growth. As I have shared before our church building has more meetings (bible study/worship/small groups) going on during the week than ever before. It is a rare day that you won't find our people gathered together in some fashion somewhere in the community. How is that different than the early church you point to as a model?

Liberty1 said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I have no problem with those who have a Sunday evening service, of course.
But fail to find a Biblical mandate for such...or a Biblical foundation that it is wrong not to have one.

The Grammy Awards were on this past Sunday Night. The opening performance was "Highway to Hell."

If churches don't have evening services on Sunday night, there's always something else for them to see.

A Biblical foundation could be made for having church "daily, and in every house." I think the early church wasn't as concerned with how little they could meet - but how much.

Is that a 'yes' for a Biblical mandate for a Sunday night service?
Is that also a 'yes' for 'Are we wrong not to have a Sunday night service'?

I have posted some of this before, I think but....

My research for the history of a Sunday night service has led me to believe it was/is mostly cultural in nature.
The same as why 11:00 o'clock seems to be the optimal time for Sunday morning service.

When I was a boy, our PM service was 'the evangelistic service' because in those days it was presumably easier to get lost people to church on Sunday evenings. Today...not so much!
When I was younger, we also went to church on Sunday afternoon, before the 7:00 PM service began.
The children would play together and the adults would fellowship in the cool of the air conditioned building.

Different time, different culture.

Sunday night service, like an 11:00 Sunday morning service, is not based on a Biblical mandate, but cultural preference.

Tarheel Baptist said:

My research for the history of a Sunday night service has led me to believe it was/is mostly cultural in nature.
The same as why 11:00 o'clock seems to be the optimal time for Sunday morning service.

When I was a boy, our PM service was 'the evangelistic service' because in those days it was presumably easier to get lost people to church on Sunday evenings. Today...not so much!
When I was younger, we also went to church on Sunday afternoon, before the 7:00 PM service began.
The children would play together and the adults would fellowship in the cool of the air conditioned building.

Sunday night service, like an 11:00 Sunday morning service, is not based on a Biblical mandate, but cultural preference.

I wouldn't go so far as to say " Biblical Mandate." I do believe that American culture has adapted to Sundays being church service day - and that includes evenings. Our church has just as many people in the auditorium on Sunday night as Sunday Morning - and, yes they are both preaching services.

I would answer your question with a question (even though I know that's not correct procedure): Why NOT have a Sunday night  service?

Since "the foolishness of preaching" should be Biblically more attractive than grouping off into some question and answer session - where is the Biblical basis for that?

You seem to have it in your mind that the absence of a Sunday evening service means the absence of any interest in spiritual growth.

That would be a good deduction if it were true. As it is - sorry.

Any day is a good day to study the Bible and have classes on the Bible. But Sunday is not only separated in the Bible as the first day of the week for worship, but our society already sees it as a day of worship. Before churches do away with Sunday evening worship, the argument needs to be made as to what would be better, and why change it if it's not broken?

As I said in another post, church attendance on Sunday nights at my church is just as high as Sunday morning - so your argument for change is not persuasive enough for me.

[quote author=Liberty1]Since "the foolishness of preaching" should be Biblically more attractive than grouping off into some question and answer session - where is the Biblical basis for that?[/quote]

The Bereans. Paul in Athens. The Apostles.

Liberty1 said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say " Biblical Mandate." I do believe that American culture has adapted to Sundays being church service day - and that includes evenings. Our church has just as many people in the auditorium on Sunday night as Sunday Morning - and, yes they are both preaching services.

I would answer your question with a question (even though I know that's not correct procedure): Why NOT have a Sunday night  service?

Since "the foolishness of preaching" should be Biblically more attractive than grouping off into some question and answer session - where is the Biblical basis for that?

You agree that it is cultural to some extent.
I do not agree that the American culture has adapted to the fact that Sunday evening is the time for a church service.
There is no Biblical mandate, admonition, suggestion or encouragement for a Sunday night service.
Period.
And, the same can be said for Wednesday nights (although we do have one).  :)

As to why not, I can only answer for the church I serve.
We currently have 2 morning services and 2 'Sunday School' sessions.
We plan to add a third service, on Sunday morning and an additional Sunday school session.

Many of our leaders....volunteers and pastors arrive at church before 7:00 AM and don't leave until around 1:00 PM.
When we had an evening service, the musicians would arrive back at church between 3:30-4:00 PM
Ushers, Greeters, nursery workers etc. would arrive at 4:30.

We determined that it would be better for everyone if we stopped our regular Sunday evening service.
The few, mostly older people, who complained did not serve in any way.

Now, we offer periodic Bible Studies and special elective classes on Sunday evenings for those who want it.
It works out well for us...and it doesn't violate Scriptural principles or commands.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Liberty1 said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I do not agree that the American culture has adapted to the fact that Sunday evening is the time for a church service.
There is no Biblical mandate, admonition, suggestion or encouragement for a Sunday night service.
Period.

We plan to add a third service, on Sunday morning and an additional Sunday school session.

Many of our leaders....volunteers and pastors arrive at church before 7:00 AM and don't leave until around 1:00 PM.
When we had an evening service, the musicians would arrive back at church between 3:30-4:00 PM

We determined that it would be better for everyone if we stopped our regular Sunday evening service.

Now, we offer periodic Bible Studies and special elective classes on Sunday evenings for those who want it.
It works out well for us...and it doesn't violate Scriptural principles or commands.

Well, I would say that your church should continue unhindered by the qualms of culture and do what is working for you. Ths is not a subject about biblical mandates but church preferences - and changing societal norms. Sunday nights is not a problem at our church - unless the Stooper Bowl is playing - so we will not be changing any time soon.

Any people in TARHEEL'S church who wants to hear preaching and singing on Sunday nights, make your way to our church. We'll be here.  :)

I think the New Testament church met every day in all sorts of places that probably did not have pews or organs, Sunday school, training union etc

Liberty1 said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Liberty1 said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Period.

Well, I would say that your church should continue unhindered by the qualms of culture and do what is working for you. Ths is not a subject about biblical mandates but church preferences - and changing societal norms. Sunday nights is not a problem at our church - unless the Stooper Bowl is playing - so we will not be changing any time soon.

Any people in TARHEEL'S church who wants to hear preaching and singing on Sunday nights, make your way to our church. We'll be here.  :)

In our county, there is a church on almost every corner with a 'traditional' Sunday night service, so they wouldn't have to travel very far.
And, you are correct. It is about church preferences, tradition and cultural norms.
I'm glad your ministry is strong, and pray you continue to prosper....Sunday morning and Sunday night. :)

subllibrm said:
Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Are we less spiritual or less 'Biblical' than those who do?
Why or why not?

Did you used to have one, and drop it, or have you never had one?

What possible difference would that make?

The direction can be important.  Someone who "used to have" Wed PM and Sun PM services, but have dropped them both is not quite the same as a church that has never had them.

Dropping a service can indicate that the church that used to have time for God now no longer has time for Him, which would be going backwards.

Or it can indicate that the church is placing a higher emphasis on missional living in their neighborhoods or it could mean...

Walt said:
subllibrm said:
Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Are we less spiritual or less 'Biblical' than those who do?
Why or why not?

Did you used to have one, and drop it, or have you never had one?

What possible difference would that make?

The direction can be important.  Someone who "used to have" Wed PM and Sun PM services, but have dropped them both is not quite the same as a church that has never had them.

Dropping a service can indicate that the church that used to have time for God now no longer has time for Him, which would be going backwards.

Here is a re-post of why we stopped our 'traditional' Sunday night service:

... do people realize how many sermons and lessons a pastor has to prepare? If a sermon could be punched out in 10 hours (minimally) there is no time to adequately prepare for a Sunday evening service. Pastors woof down Sunday meal and head to their study between 2pm and 5pm.

Not nearly enough time for adequate study.

FSSL said:
... do people realize how many sermons and lessons a pastor has to prepare? If a sermon could be punched out in 10 hours (minimally) there is no time to adequately prepare for a Sunday evening service. Pastors woof down Sunday meal and head to their study between 2pm and 5pm.

Not nearly enough time for adequate study.

A pastor's life is often entirely wrapped around study.

Then the pastor is doing it wrong.

Part of the trouble is that there seems to be pressure on pastors to dazzle the congregation and come up with original material each Sunday. That's time consuming to do for one service, let alone two or three each week.

Also, there's no reason (especially on Sunday evening) why the sermon needs to be the focal point of the worship service. There could be an equal focus on prayer and singing.

Typical IFB Pastor's Weekly Sermon/Lesson expectations

Sunday School Lesson
Sunday Morning Sermon
Sunday Evening Sermon
Monday Night Council time for Awana
Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting
Thursday Men's Bible Study
Funeral or Wedding that pops up

It takes between 10-20 hours to do adequate study.

No wonder we have a problem in IFB churches. Stories and Anecdote fill in the gaps aa it is impossible to study that much will all of the other expectations.

HereIStand said:
Part of the trouble is that there seems to be pressure on pastors to dazzle the congregation and come up with original material each Sunday. That's time consuming to do for one service, let alone two or three each week.

Also, there's no reason (especially on Sunday evening) why the sermon needs to be the focal point of the worship service. There could be an equal focus on prayer and singing.
Yep! A pastor in Illinois tried to explain the undue pressure and get rid of the Sunday Evening service... he almost got canned.

Better idea...

Multiple elders who teach.
One may have a couple weeks in a row because they are doing a series (or you can leapfrog back and forth or team teach the series). None has to preach more than once a week and often they can skip weeks. You get better studied preachers who have deeper teachings.

Since, at most, they would be spending 20 or so hours in prep (on their "on weeks"), they can do the other jobs of pastoring like visiting the ill, training upcoming leaders, acting as community leaders, going to their paying job.

And with multiple elders, they can each have staggered days off so everyone gets a personal sabbath time. Obviously the one teaching will need something other than Saturday and Sunday for their day of rest. And when sabbathing, they aren't on a call list. People can call one of the other elders if they need something. They don't have to abandon their families for the sake of ministry because the church is explicitly aware that the pastor's family is his primary place of ministry.