Pastor Makes Mistake...

So what Temple are you building?
The true temple, in the true Sion.

1 Peter 2:5-6 - Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

Hebrews 12:18, 22-24 - For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, ... But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Why Tithing Is Not Required Today

There are seven decisive reasons for saying Christians are not required to tithe.

1. Believers are no longer under the Mosaic covenant (Rom. 6:14–15; 7:5–6; Gal. 3:15–4:7; 2 Cor. 3:4–18).

The commands stipulated in the Mosaic covenant are no longer in force for believers. Some appeal to the division between the civil, ceremonial, and moral law to support tithing. Yet these divisions, I would observe, are not the basis Paul uses when addressing how the law applies to us today. And even if we use these distinctions, tithing is clearly not part of the moral law. It’s true the moral norms of the Old Testament are still in force today, and we discern them from the law of Christ in the New Testament, but tithing is not among these commands.

2. The examples of Abraham and Jacob are not normative patterns.

Some think tithing is required because both Abraham and Jacob gave a tenth, and they both lived before the Mosaic covenant was in place. Such examples hardly prove tithing is for all time, however. Abraham’s gift to Melchizedek was a one-time event; there is no evidence he regularly gave God a tenth.

Jacob’s giving of a tenth signified his gratefulness to God for promising to be with him and to protect him. His gratefulness and generosity still speak to us today, but a historical description of what Jacob gave doesn’t support the idea that all believers must give God a tenth of their income.

3. Tithes were given to the Levites and priests, but there are no Levites and priests in the new covenant.

Levites and priests were tied to the sacrificial system of the old covenant. Now all believers are priests (1 Pet. 2:9; Rev. 1:6; 5:10; 20:6), with Jesus as our Melchizedekian high priest (Heb. 7).

4. The tithe is tied to the land Israel received under the old covenant.

Israel was supposed to celebrate a tithe every three years in Jerusalem. But that requirement cannot apply to Christians today. It related to the Jews as a nation—to Jews who lived in the land of promise. With the coming of Christ, the Jewish nation is no longer the locus of God’s people, though individual Jews are part of the church through faith in Jesus.

The earthly Jerusalem is no longer central in God’s purposes (Gal. 4:25). Believers are part of the heavenly Jerusalem (Gal. 4:26) and look forward to the city to come (Heb. 11:10), to the new heavens and new earth (Rev. 21:1–22:5). Abraham isn’t heir of the land of Israel, but of the whole world (Rom. 4:13).

5. If tithing is required today, how much should we give?

As noted above, the number was certainly more than 10 percent and closer to 20 percent. Those who advocate tithing should probably settle on 20 percent.

6. When Jesus affirmed the tithe, it was before the dawn of the new covenant.

Some defend tithing by saying Jesus praised tithing, even if he said it was less important than other things (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42). This argument appears strong, but it’s not persuasive. Jesus also mentioned offering sacrifices in the temple (Matt. 5:23–24), but Christians don’t think—even if the temple were rebuilt—that we should do that. Our Lord’s words are understandable when we think about his location in redemptive history.

Lightstock

Jesus spoke about sacrifices and tithing before the cross and resurrection, before the dawn of the new covenant. He used tithing and sacrifices as illustrations when addressing his contemporaries. He kept the law since he was “born under the law” (Gal. 4:4). But we can no more take his words as a commendation for tithing today than we can his words about offering sacrifices.

7. Nowhere is tithing mentioned when commands to give generously are found in the New Testament.

When Christians are instructed to give to the poor, they aren’t commanded to give “the poor tithe.” Instead, they are instructed to be generous in helping those in need (Acts 2:43–47; 4:32–37; 11:27–30; Gal. 2:10; 1 Cor. 16:1–4; 2 Cor. 8:1–9:15). For example, 1 Corinthians 16:1–4—a passage often cited in popular circles in support—doesn’t mention tithing; it relates to a one-time gift for poor saints in Jerusalem.
Yet the principle is there... wow...God must have made a mistake when he put the practice in place.

The true temple, in the true Sion.

1 Peter 2:5-6 - Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

Hebrews 12:18, 22-24 - For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, ... But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Is this the 3rd Temple?

Yet the principle is there... wow...God must have made a mistake when he put the practice in place.
No you made a mistake in interpretation. Besides the "Why Tithing is not Required" was written by a Southern Baptist theologian that teaches at a Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. One of your own kind.

No you made a mistake in interpretation. Besides the "Why Tithing is not Required" was written by a Southern Baptist theologian that teaches at a Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. One of your own kind.
He's sorely mistaken, just as the professors at that particular seminary are incorrect about several other things. Your kind is a butt-scratching, finger-sniffing, pee-drinking troll. Plain enough for you? And just FYI..I'm NOT SBC...I attended an SBC church for many years, but haven't for the past six months. So...your application of the word "kind" is sort of useless....like you.

He's sorely mistaken, just as the professors at that particular seminary are incorrect about several other things. Your kind is a butt-scratching, finger-sniffing, pee-drinking troll. Plain enough for you?
So you are a pagan. That doesn't surprise me. I dont want pop your pagan balloon, but you are not the arbitrary of truth. Adonai is

He's sorely mistaken, just as the professors at that particular seminary are incorrect about several other things. Your kind is a butt-scratching, finger-sniffing, pee-drinking troll. Plain enough for you? And just FYI..I'm NOT SBC...I attended an SBC church for many years, but haven't for the past six months. So...your application of the word "kind" is sort of useless....like you.
Is that the best you can do?

I lump all flavors of Baptists in a pagan basket of undesirables

So you are a pagan. That doesn't surprise me. I dont want pop your pagan balloon, but you are not the arbitrary of truth. Adonai is
Arbitraty of truth? Better end your correction program...LOL I'm FAR from pagan, but you're 100 percent moron.

It's not name calling when the description is accurate, and when it comes to your moronicity...we've hit the jackpot...jackass.
Very small and insecure people uses name calling, because that's all they have left. They are losers. The only thing you hit was the jackpot of losers.

Very small and insecure people uses name calling, because that's all they have left. They are losers. The only thing you hit was the jackpot of losers.
No name calling here...just accurate descriptions. And if it were name-calling, you were the one who initiated it...pagan is an ad hominem attack, especially when you don't know me and can't prove dung. So, even if I were "name-calling", which I'm not, it would be the pot calling the kettle black on your part...you've supposed to be in your 70s? I hope you never had children...because with parents like you they'd end up being losers...like you.

Oh wow the name calling pagan masquerading as a Christian strikes again!

This you, fool?

I lump all flavors of Baptists in a pagan basket of undesirables

Isn't it odd how there's always an example of you doing the very thing you condemn in others. And in the same thread, too. Jesus warned his followers about religious hypocrites like you in Matthew 23. Thanks for the sermon illustration.

No name calling here...just accurate descriptions. And if it were name-calling, you were the one who initiated it...pagan is an ad hominem attack, especially when you don't know me and can't prove dung. So, even if I were "name-calling", which I'm not, it would be the pot calling the kettle black on your part...you've supposed to be in your 70s? I hope you never had children...because with parents like you they'd end up being losers...like you.
Wow tell me how you really feel pagan? Your so full of dung your eyes are turning brown. I never had children. Adonai only blessed this earth with one of me. I am the original and except no counterfeits!

LOL. I think a definition of terms is in order. A pagan is not someone who simply disagrees with our resident judaizer and calls him out.
according to scholars... 🧐... originally ... (in roman culture - where the term pagan came from)... a pagan... known in rome as paganus... was simply a person who lived outside the city.. ..usually a farmer or other country dwelling citizen - but one who was not a soldier.... ... so a paganus... or pagan... could actually be a christian in those days...... ..( and being born in the middle of nowhere on the navajo reservation i was definitely born a pagan even though my navajo grandmother was a christian .. )....

but then around 1400 ad the word pagan appeared in english literature to describe someone practicing a religion other than christianity..... i think the book le morte de artur was the first time the word pagan appeared. ... but i don;t have a source to cite - i;m just repeating what i rmember being taught in sunday school a long time ago.... and in hawaiian no less.....:cool:

Wow tell me how you really feel pagan? Your so full of dung your eyes are turning brown. I never had children. Adonai only blessed this earth with one of me. I am the original and except no counterfeits!
So thank you for the full confession that you're a GENUINE JACKASS! You're no more Jewish than my three dogs.