Pastor's School Memories

The night some dude quoted the book of Revelations and got the crowed so fired up that people were jumping out of their seats, jumping on their seats & some literally running circles around auditorium.

But the best part about that night was sitting on the first floor under the mezzanine and saw one guy get so excited that he jumped up on his pew... Then jumped off the pew shouting... But unfortunately he caught a little too much air and hit his head on the low ceiling knocking himself out cold. We laughed so hard we had to leave the auditorium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patebald said:
The night some dude quoted the book of Revelations and got the crowed so fired up that people were jumping out of their seats, jumping on their seats & some literally running circles around auditorium.

But the best part about that night was sitting on the first floor under the mezzanine and saw one guy get so excited that he jumped up on his pew... Then jumped off the pew shouting... But unfortunately he caught a little too much air and hit his head on the low ceiling knocking himself out cold. We laughed so hard we had to leave the auditorium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now this is what I'm talking about!  LOL!!

Teri in NC said:
Church with a heart is the year that sticks out the most for me, after the pickles.

I wonder how many years they did "The Church With a Heart"?

bgwilkinson said:
That was the night we were led in blaspheming the Holy Spirit as a congregation.

Methinks you need to do a bit more study on that topic before you start hurling that accusation around...

Walt said:
Ah, yes, the made-up doctrine to "get" John McArthur.

You don't have to agree with the doctrine of the literal blood in Heaven but Bro. Hyles did not make it up. I've got a book in my office by J. Vernon McGee that references it in a positive way several decades earlier. Falwell believed it too. So do it, FWIW.

bgwilkinson said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Smellin Coffee said:
bgwilkinson said:
Evening meeting in Chicago at the International Amphitheater.

Built to host the International Live Stock Exhibition when Chicago was hog butcher to the world, the amphitheater was commissioned in 1934 by Frederick Henry Prince, then head of the Union Stock Yard and Transit Company.

Remember breathing in all the dung dust from the rodeo earlier in the week. I choke and get breathing spasms just thinking about it.

What were we thinking?

Image-5406850-152080686-2-WebSmall_0_f1d44bcaa78b1161232f4b272abf9e72_1

Didn't Jack Van Impe preach that night? I was a kid and can't remember for sure, but somehow that pops in my head.
Not that night.  By then, we were in stark contrast to him.  JVI was about a decade earlier.

I believe it was Curtis Hutson.

I paid for a bus out of my own pocket and ran it that night. Only had three kids come. Baptized two of them. Was discouraged about it b/c of the money/time spent and the  very low turn out but I dealt with those kids very carefully. Look forward to seeing them in Heaven some day...

Best service I was ever in in my life was that one Patebald referenced earlier - Bro. Johnson quoting the entire book of Revelation. Mid 90's maybe?

Bro. Hyles preaching This Kind.

...almost surrendered to preach that night. I did later that summer.

Every PS had its own flavor. One of my favorite was in the 80's. I was a teenager and for some reason that week was all about chants.

C-U-T-E
Don't you wish you looked like me
I'm cute, uhuh, I'm cutre

U-G-L-Y
You aint' got no alibi
You ugly, uhuh, you ugly

B-A-L-D
With all that glare we cannot see
You bald, uhuh, you bald

S-O-R-E
That's what's wrong with the bottom of me
I'm sore, uhuh, I'm sore

:D

In the mid 80's the constant never-ending battle to get the front row of the balcony overhang. My Dad would drop me off at the front doors at 5.30 AM. The gathering crowd of men would huddle and plan their entrance. When security unlocked the doors we would run at top speed for our chosen pew. In five minutes the entire auditorium would be claimed.

Saw a guy run full tilt into one of the lower balcony posts one morning...  :D

My favorite memory of those times is one particularly desperate scramble. I flew, jumped pews, etc. and landed like a guy sliding into third base on the pew I was aiming for in the overhang. I looked up to see my petite mother primly sitting there laughing at me. Jack Patterson had let her in the back alley door by Bro. Hyles office about 30 minutes earlier...  :D

In the 90's I would take the whole week off to work for Bro. Owens. I would park myself in a chair outside of his office and wait for what he needed. PS was the time I built my relationship with him and to this day I am glad I did.

He sent me one time to get graffiti off of a men's bathroom wall. I scrubbed but it stayed. I found better soap and scrubbed again but it stayed. I tracked down a janitor, found some paint, and painted the wall. The graffiti showed through. I went and bought some wallpaper and wallpapered the wall. Finally, hours later, job done, I went back and sat down in front of Bro. Owens' office. He stuck his head out and asked me if I had taken care of it. I said yes and that was that.

Tom Brennan said:
Every PS had its own flavor. One of my favorite was in the 80's. I was a teenager and for some reason that week was all about chants.

C-U-T-E
Don't you wish you looked like me
I'm cute, uhuh, I'm cutre

U-G-L-Y
You aint' got no alibi
You ugly, uhuh, you ugly

B-A-L-D
With all that glare we cannot see
You bald, uhuh, you bald

S-O-R-E
That's what's wrong with the bottom of me
I'm sore, uhuh, I'm sore

I'm guessing the second and third verses were written because of RAIDER's inspiration! :)

I remember going to pastors school and standing and clapping when mortal men walked through a door.  If memory serves, we were eventually allowed to sit back down.

Tom Brennan said:
In the mid 80's the constant never-ending battle to get the front row of the balcony overhang. My Dad would drop me off at the front doors at 5.30 AM. The gathering crowd of men would huddle and plan their entrance. When security unlocked the doors we would run at top speed for our chosen pew. In five minutes the entire auditorium would be claimed.

My favorite memory of those times is one particularly desperate scramble. I flew, jumped pews, etc. and landed like a guy sliding into third base on the pew I was aiming for in the overhang. I looked up to see my petite mother primly sitting there laughing at me. Jack Patterson had let her in the back alley door by Bro. Hyles office about 30 minutes earlier...  :D

A few years after I graduated I took a guy who attended church with me and had surrendered to preach.  He had never been to anything like this.  He and I were chosen to go early and save seats on a Wednesday morning.  We arrived before daylight and waited at the door.  When the door opened I did my weave and sprint through the pews to get to out seats.  When I arrived he was no where to be found.  After a few minutes he came limping and moaning to the pew.  He had fallen behind me and some guy had hit him with his briefcase and he fell into a pew.  Classic!!  :) 

RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

A few years after I graduated I took a guy who attended church with me and had surrendered to preach.  He had never been to anything like this.  He and I were chosen to go early and save seats on a Wednesday morning.  We arrived before daylight and waited at the door.  When the door opened I did my weave and sprint through the pews to get to out seats.  When I arrived he was no where to be found.  After a few minutes he came limping and moaning to the pew.  He had fallen behind me and some guy had hit him with his briefcase and he fell into a pew.  Classic!!  :)

Wasn't much of the Sermon on the Mount in there but it sure was fun...  ;D

Tom Brennan said:
RAIDER said:

Wasn't much of the Sermon on the Mount in there but it sure was fun...  ;D

The guy ended up attending and graduating from Bible college and is pastoring today.  We have had a few laughs about his first Pastor's School.

RAIDER said:
Teri in NC said:
Church with a heart is the year that sticks out the most for me, after the pickles.

I wonder how many years they did "The Church With a Heart"?

Was it really done more than once?  Was I there for more than one PS using this theme?

Yikes!

I must be losing it.

I mean, I remember what I was wearing on my one date with Ed Russ.  :)

I recall being at a huge building that I rode to in a van with other Bible Club workers driven by Jim Wertz.  We had to wait under some bleachers out of view and then walk across the stage holding Bible Club signs with some of our kids. 

Afterwards, Bro. Jim took us out to Shakey's.  :)