Paul Chappell: Why I recommend 1 Year of Bible College

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
There was a time when I agreed with his basic arguments.
However, the affect going to such schools had on the collective fff, plus the realization that many/most of these schools offer 'less than stellar curriculum content ' has led me to change my position.

http://www.paulchappell.com/2016/01/14/why-i-recommend-one-year-of-bible-college/#more-18931

The problem with this is that it also might make someone believe this one year would make them equipped to lead or teach...basically from a place of ignorance.

I remember many years ago going through Military Police Training, as part of that training was 13 hours of Judo.  You know what that did, if that was all the training you had, it guaranteed you were going to get hurt if you tried to use it on someone!

Still tend to agree, but more for "newer" believers to get a solid grounding and want it intensely (provided the school is mostly competent).  If that person enrolls in a decent discipleship program from his church and subsequent study with a mentor, or church wide....it is just as good (also assuming church is half way decent).

Much of these guys ( Chappell, et al) are kingdom builders.  The individual student means absolutely nothing to them provided that student adds to their earthly kingdom.

Tarheel Baptist said:
However, the affect going to such schools had on the collective fff, plus the realization that many/most of these schools offer 'less than stellar curriculum content ' has led me to change my position.

http://www.paulchappell.com/2016/01/14/why-i-recommend-one-year-of-bible-college/#more-18931

I have mixed feelings about this one.

I think if I do my job correctly them moving to a bible college won't be needed.

I had a pastor tell me he thought it's good because the young adult can learn to get up on there own and learn to work. I did my best not to say anything but I couldn't. I told him if that young person hasn't learned to do that by 18 their parents are in for a long haul with that kid.

Bad company finds bad company. Send a young person to bible college IMO won't change much.

If my boys are called to pastor or something like this, I pray, I can find someone like Tom Brennon that they can go work under and disciple them one on one. He can start by having him cut the grass and go from there.

Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I have mixed feelings about this one.

I think if I do my job correctly them moving to a bible college won't be needed.

I had a pastor tell me he thought it's good because the young adult can learn to get up on there own and learn to work. I did my best not to say anything but I couldn't. I told him if that young person hasn't learned to do that by 18 their parents are in for a long haul with that kid.

Bad company finds bad company. Send a young person to bible college IMO won't change much.

If my boys are called to pastor or something like this, I pray, I can find someone like Tom Brennon that they can go work under and disciple them one on one. He can start by having him cut the grass and go from there.

Good thoughts.

We have a young man working with our staff as an intern. He just turned 20 last Sunday. His Pastor dad is a friend of mine. He has been with us since September and is just looking and learning. He is a gifted musician and has been an asset with our teens in that area.
I met with him last week and he has no desire to go to college. He would like to get a job and continue working in our ministry here. I'm not sure what his parents want for his life, but working this internship has helped him decide what he doesn't want to do...go to college. I think he may eventually want to be in music ministry as a vocation, but right now, he simply doesn't know what he wants to do with his life. We may extend his internship thru the summer months. As of now, it officially ends Easter Sunday.

I think an internship could/would be preferable to a year in Bible College....depending on the church, the person and the college.

At the late age of about 33 (and just months into my Christian walk) I audited classes off and on for less than a year at Philadelphia College of Bible.

The experience didn't change me any, as far as I can tell, but I learned more in a half dozen classes on Genesis than I did from any sermon since then.  I wish I knew who to credit.  I can't recall the teacher's name.

Does Chappell mean he recommends a year of Bible college, or a year of his Bible college?

Does he still say that anyone who changes stance after graduating from WCBC should return his degree? Because that makes the stuff near the end of the article about Bible college being "an ideal place to grow in . . . adult independence" really, really funny.

Well, I don't know how much I believe the article.  The thoughts posted here has been good.

He writes:
Most 18?20 year olds haven?t settled on their life?s career yet. And very often, the ones who think they have often change their minds.

Taking one year after high school to attend Bible college puts them in a position where they are making themselves available for God to tap them for ministry.

But they could just as well take the year off and pray and seek God's face... or is Mr Chappell trying to say that only Bible college can make up their minds.  This may be an argument for staying out of any college for a year after graduating high school.  I'm afraid that Bible college may merely be putting pressure on them to do what the Bible college wants.

More on the points later.

Even though we have had 3 of our kids attend Bible college (others went straight to universities), I really think it is up to the teens and parents.  No set mold.  Personally, I am really glad to see graduates in our area head off to Bible college (typical choices are Crown, PPC or WCBC) because I like to see them leave this area and expand their horizons.  Get out.  Get on a jet.  Explore. 

We did this with our kids.  We recommended 1 year.  Two graduated, one did not.  All 3 went to West Coast.

If I had to do it over again I believe I would recommend a trade school for our sons first, then possibly Bible college.  A plumber making 60K a year can easily pay a Bible college tuition.

Mr Chappell writes:

Bible college is an environment where students are surrounded by godly mentors, challenged with daily Bible preaching and teaching, and immersed in ministry opportunities.

Funny how many of those "godly mentors" are relatives and friends...

Perhaps instead of the constant "challenge" to "do more", there should be time in quiet to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to a student's heart.

"Immersed in ministry opportunities" -- forced to participate; cheap labor for bus routes and soul-winning... not really terribly helpful.

Perhaps his school is different, but from what I've read here and other places, it seems more like such colleges are trying to force these things as habits.

The he says that the one year is not a waste because
It helps a young person build a solid foundation. In just one year of Bible college, a young person attends about thirty-six credit hours of classes, many of them specifically in Bible.

Is he trying to say that 18-20 years of preaching and teaching in their home church did NOT give a solid foundation?  How will they get in one year what they have failed to get in 18-20 years?

And then...
These classes cover doctrinal truths, principles of Bible study, learning how to defend the faith, and a biblical philosophy of ministry?giving students a rich and solid foundation for building their lives, families, and personal ministry in the local church local church, regardless of what secular field they may enter.

Perhaps the problem is the home churches -- perhaps the pastor needs the classes -- why aren't people getting this kind of thing in their own churches?  Why does my child need to spend a year at Bible college to get this kind of information?

His final point was about making friends and/or finding a mate.  The latter may be a reason to attend, and perhaps some do.  I think people can make friends in other places - it is not limited to Bible college.

Walt said:
Mr Chappell writes:

Bible college is an environment where students are surrounded by godly mentors, challenged with daily Bible preaching and teaching, and immersed in ministry opportunities.

Perhaps instead of the constant "challenge" to "do more", there should be time in quiet to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to a student's heart.

"Immersed in ministry opportunities" -- forced to participate; cheap labor for bus routes and soul-winning... not really terribly helpful.

Perhaps his school is different, but from what I've read here and other places, it seems more like such colleges are trying to force these things as habits.

It helps a young person build a solid foundation. In just one year of Bible college, a young person attends about thirty-six credit hours of classes, many of them specifically in Bible.

Is he trying to say that 18-20 years of preaching and teaching in their home church did NOT give a solid foundation?  How will they get in one year what they have failed to get in 18-20 years?

And then...
These classes cover doctrinal truths, principles of Bible study, learning how to defend the faith, and a biblical philosophy of ministry?giving students a rich and solid foundation for building their lives, families, and personal ministry in the local church local church, regardless of what secular field they may enter.

Perhaps the problem is the home churches -- perhaps the pastor needs the classes -- why aren't people getting this kind of thing in their own churches?  Why does my child need to spend a year at Bible college to get this kind of information?

His final point was about making friends and/or finding a mate.  The latter may be a reason to attend, and perhaps some do.  I think people can make friends in other places - it is not limited to Bible college.

You make some excellent points...because I agree with them.  :)

I also think that the one argument to be made is one of the 'college experience'.
Some of the most valuable lessons I learned in college were learned outside the classroom. I think that is also one of the drawbacks to online classes.

I wonder if those (on the fff) in the IFB movement still hold to the same position as Chappell?

I know, I know...call me cynical but I think it just might be that "one year" is a good start at getting 'em for four years! So jaded am I.

Now on a positive note. I looked around at the sermon section on Chappels church and listened to one on "False Teachers". It wasn't one that one would expect from many in "the movement". Only name he mentioned was Benny Hinn which we could all agree on. He didn't allude negatively to "neo's" or "seeker-friendly" or "megachurches", etc. He preached just from the text. I was pleasantly surprised. I know he has advocated not preaching on preferences, not being angry, having grace. I know in earlier days he did not always exhibit these things but I haven't always been as right as I am now either. :)  Is he considered a "compromiser" yet?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Mr Chappell writes:

And then...

I also think that the one argument to be made is one of the 'college experience'.
Some of the most valuable lessons I learned in college were learned outside the classroom. I think that is also one of the drawbacks to online classes.

But I don't know if that was college so much as being out on one's own, without parents to protect or to prod or watch over one.

Just John said:
I know, I know...call me cynical but I think it just might be that "one year" is a good start at getting 'em for four years! So jaded am I.

Perhaps jaded = experienced... there HAVE been schools that harp on not quitting and going for a real degree, and on and on.  ("Tales from the Temple" comes to mind). Someone who only comes for one year should not be pressured into going for 2 years, or  more.

Now on a positive note. I looked around at the sermon section on Chappels church and listened to one on "False Teachers". It wasn't one that one would expect from many in "the movement". Only name he mentioned was Benny Hinn which we could all agree on. He didn't allude negatively to "neo's" or "seeker-friendly" or "megachurches", etc. He preached just from the text. I was pleasantly surprised. I know he has advocated not preaching on preferences, not being angry, having grace. I know in earlier days he did not always exhibit these things but I haven't always been as right as I am now either. :)  Is he considered a "compromiser" yet?

Apparently, he used to send his staff to the "seeker-friendly" conferences.

I think he is compromising, hoping to have a huge following / influence.

Walt said:
Just John said:

Perhaps jaded = experienced... there HAVE been schools that harp on not quitting and going for a real degree, and on and on.  ("Tales from the Temple" comes to mind). Someone who only comes for one year should not be pressured into going for 2 years, or  more.

Compromising what?
In methodology?

This is one area that I, no IFB basher, simply do not understand their mindset.
What is wrong with listening to someone who doesn't share your philosophy of ministry? I've heard IFB big wig Pastors mock those who would read John MacArthur commentaries.

IMO Chappell is the best of the entire IFB bunch, but I would not send my daughter to his school. But I wouldn't hesitate to read his material or listen to his sermons.

Just John said:

He is considered to be a compromiser by SOME in the movement.
Sometimes, he gets dangerously close to relevance.  :)

Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Mr Chappell writes:

And then...

But I don't know if that was college so much as being out on one's own, without parents to protect or to prod or watch over one.

It was the people I was with during that period of my life.
They helped me to grow spiritually and became what would be life long friends.

Walt said:
Just John said:

I have it on good authority he had staff, his music pastor even, at Purpose Driven conferences some 15 years ago. I don't know of anything more recent than that.  But the strange thing is he was preaching a pretty hardcore message against Rick Warren back then.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Just John said:

Compromising what?
In methodology?

This is one area that I, no IFB basher, simply do not understand their mindset.
What is wrong with listening to someone who doesn't share your philosophy of ministry? I've heard IFB big wig Pastors mock those who would read John MacArthur commentaries.

IMO Chappell is the best of the entire IFB bunch, but I would not send my daughter to his school. But I wouldn't hesitate to read his material or listen to his sermons.

Let me try to enlighten you. In ifb speak 'change' (ostensibly of any kind) is one of the cardinal sins right up there with drunkenness and adultery. One of the things instilled in your mind that to 'change' is to compromise and therefore always bad. I heard JH say many times just decide what you believe right now and don't ever change. Now, that means that a 19 year old college student is to decide at 19 that he knows and understands everything about the Bible and what it teaches and to 'change' anything is akin to blasphemy. In order to accomplish this you are absolutely never supposed to read any books not written by ifb (ifbx) authors and never go to a conference or fellowship with any non-ifb types. (good luck if you ever feel like reading books)