Paul vs Jesus

voicecrying

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Sadly, grannylo is following the path of smellincoffee, arguing on Facebook that Paul taught his own gospel which isn't the same gospel that Jesus taught. And apparently, Peter was wrong to endorse Paul's writings in 2 Peter 3.

And where exactly do they get these revelations?

Has she bought into progressive theology?

Usually the drive to undermine Paul's apostolic authority and set him against Jesus comes from a lax tolerance toward some specific sin that Paul addressed but Jesus didn't, such as homosexuality.

(As you would expect, since Paul's purpose in writing was to address specific issues arising in the church.)

Usually the drive to undermine Paul's apostolic authority and set him against Jesus comes from a lax tolerance toward some specific sin that Paul addressed but Jesus didn't, such as homosexuality.

(As you would expect, since Paul's purpose in writing was to address specific issues arising in the church.)
It looks like that. So far, all that has been offered is that Paul set up churches with strict rules and regulations, but Jesus was all about relationships built solely on love.

After a few more clarifying questions, I will ask what she does with the sermon on the mount and Jesus' amplification of the law even going so far as to say they need to be perfect.

Sadly, grannylo is following the path of smellincoffee, arguing on Facebook that Paul taught his own gospel which isn't the same gospel that Jesus taught. And apparently, Peter was wrong to endorse Paul's writings in 2 Peter 3.

I thought that it was taught that the Holy Spirit inspired Paul in his writings. How could it be HIS own gospel?

I thought that it was taught that the Holy Spirit inspired Paul in his writings. How could it be HIS own gospel?
Gringo, I certainly agree! Are you sure you agree with this and still consider yourself agnostic/atheist? :ROFLMAO:

Problem is the same with every other HUMAN problem! We DO NOT like what God is saying so we set out to rationalize and reinvent him in a manner that is more suitable to our liking!

The scriptures steps on EVERYONE's toes (including mine) revealing some not so pleasant things about our character. We may respond in one of three ways:

1. Reject it entirely and come up with an entirely different belief and values system.

2. Rewrite or reinterpret the scriptures, find ways to DIS-COUNT the parts you disagree with - such as "Unhitching the Old Testament from the New Testament" and discrediting the Pauline writings as some have or are choosing to do.

3. Acknowledge that it is the authoritative Word of God and REPENT! Submit yourself to the righteousness of God and live your life accordingly!

I just spent the last several weeks studying Paul's "second" letter to the Corinthians. (It's the second one we have.) Throughout the entire letter he is defending his character which is inexorably linked to his message. He refers to these "super apostles" who came in after him, bad mouthing his character and instilling their teachings in the church. It's difficult to say with absolute certainty what these false teachers were bringing in but because of Paul citing his Jewish heritage, the thought is these false apostles may have been judizers... I digress... what I've seen in 2 Corinthians with Paul defending his character and message runs parallel with this mentality that pits him against Jesus.

Perhaps the most absurd part of defaming Paul in this day and age is the fact that one has only one source from which to create any contrast between the two. The Scriptures. So, in order to defame Paul's teaching, one must reject a large part of the exact same volume from where we get Christ's teaching. At least, in Paul's time, someone of sufficient age could claim to have walked with Jesus Himself.

There's another old-FFFer (I recognize his real name but don't remember his username) liking some of the comments defending grannylo's original post. At least grannylo seems to be open to rebuttal, but smellin is posting lots of stuff including a long list of alleged contradictions between Jesus & Paul. I responded to about 8 of them this morning - he is mostly taking similar words used in different contexts as proof that Paul contradicted Jesus.

Gringo, I certainly agree! Are you sure you agree with this and still consider yourself agnostic/atheist?
I certainly hope Gringo isn’t an agnostic/atheist. If so, I have completely misunderstood him. I thought he fell into the more liberal Christian category.

There's another old-FFFer (I recognize his real name but don't remember his username) liking some of the comments defending grannylo's original post. At least grannylo seems to be open to rebuttal, but smellin is posting lots of stuff including a long list of alleged contradictions between Jesus & Paul. I responded to about 8 of them this morning - he is mostly taking similar words used in different contexts as proof that Paul contradicted Jesus.
Once someone has embraced that kind of twisting of theology, it is almost impossible to get them to listen to the simple truth of Scripture.

Once someone has embraced that kind of twisting of theology, it is almost impossible to get them to listen to the simple truth of Scripture.
That's probably because they are trying to use scripture to discredit scripture. What a foolish position to be in!

BR nailed it when he said the Scriptures are always stepping on our toes. We're sinners. What else can we expect? We either reject, rationalize, or repent. (Hey... I came up with a three point alliteration! 😁)

That's probably because they are trying to use scripture to discredit scripture. What a foolish position to be in!

BR nailed it when he said the Scriptures are always stepping on our toes. We're sinners. What else can we expect? We either reject, rationalize, or repent. (Hey... I came up with a three point alliteration! 😁)
The scriptures are amazingly consistent and there is not one passage that has been questioned that does not have a valid hermeneutical explanation. It may take me a little time to research each one, but Paul and Jesus preached the same gospel. So did Peter and Paul, and James.

SC did respond to my rebuttal by saying we are approaching it with different hermeneutics and biases and that we both are most likely wrong lol.

I responded to about 8 of them this morning - he is mostly taking similar words used in different contexts as proof that Paul contradicted Jesus.
I'm curious as to how someone can stand on scripture to contradict scripture. If one is unreliable how can the other be trusted?

SC did respond to my rebuttal by saying we are approaching it with different hermeneutics and biases and that we both are most likely wrong lol.
If he's wrong, is he willing to repent?

it;s not much different with those christians who come into large amounts of money.... and suddenly decide the book of james wasn;t inspired either.... ..in those cases i think it stems from a high sense of entitlement that rules their thought process..... ..in their heads they have convinced themselves that everything in life - including church and the scriptures - exists for the sole purpose of serving them.... ...and anything.. and anyone - in their life that doesn;t suit their purpose gets twisted.. fired.. or cancelled.... even the bible... .

Last edited:
I "unfollowed" the man formerly known as "Smellin' Coffee" some time ago because I just didn't want his nonsense coming across my FB page. Perhaps I should go back and "Follow" him and get in the fight for the sake of Grannylo and anyone else SC is trying to deceive!

What is truly sad is that he was one of the members I really looked up to when I first showed up on the FFF so many years back! And what's really scary is that he has become the "Poster Child" for every IFBx Preecher as to what happens to those who leave the moorings of their brand of fundamentalism (AKA "Funny-Mental-ism")!

I "unfollowed" the man formerly known as "Smellin' Coffee" some time ago because I just didn't want his nonsense coming across my FB page. Perhaps I should go back and "Follow" him and get in the fight for the sake of Grannylo and anyone else SC is trying to deceive!

What is truly sad is that he was one of the members I really looked up to when I first showed up on the FFF so many years back! And what's really scary is that he has become the "Poster Child" for every IFBx Preecher as to what happens to those who leave the moorings of their brand of fundamentalism (AKA "Funny-Mental-ism")!
I see that you are FB friends with both SC & grannylo.