Pete Rose - Vote Him In!!!

Lifelong Reds and Big Red Machine fan here. I used to take up for Pete but over the years his boorish behavior eventually wore on me. His numbers easily justify it but his character is pathetic.

Lifelong Reds and Big Red Machine fan here. I used to take up for Pete but over the years his boorish behavior eventually wore on me. His numbers easily justify it but his character is pathetic.
I’m not a Reds fan or even a Rose fan, but he’s one of the best players in the history of the game, and the dude belongs in the HoF. He’s not being voted on for his manager days, just playing days. It’s absolutely hypocritical for that guy to be excluded.

I’m not a Reds fan or even a Rose fan, but he’s one of the best players in the history of the game, and the dude belongs in the HoF. He’s not being voted on for his manager days, just playing days. It’s absolutely hypocritical for that guy to be excluded.
I get it, not arguing with you, just saying that if he had been a bit more humble and forthright in the span of retirement he probably wouldn’t be where he’s at. Haughty spirits and pride, destruction, and all that sorta stuff. Is it hypocritical of the Reds and MLB? Sure, but Pete’s ego had him believing he could fight city hall and win, now he’s reaping the benefits. Besides that, I’ve got very little sympathy for the woes of pedophiles.

I thought this was an allegation that was never proven or tried in court.
i didn;t know about it until i took a closer look at your article and read it.... . if it;s true then i agree - he should be banned... ...but proven in court can be a difficult threshold to cross.... especially in certain states and especially in the 1970s.... .... right up until just a few years ago hawaiis age of consent was 14.... most outsiders other than sex trade tourists and the military were completely unaware of it..... and military guys were notorious for going into waikiki looking for girls of that age group.... and while they could not be arrested or prosecuted that didn;t stop them from getting pounded by families of some of the girls they went after.... many a misguided marine - sailor or soldier stumbled back to his base broken and bloodied during those days... and with only themselves to blame for it....

"No, I’m not here to talk about that. Sorry about that. It was 55 years ago, babe,"—Pete Rose
Not defending the guy in any way, even if it was many decades ago, but I’m sure the HOF if filled with all sorts of scalawags, especially if we start digging back into guys from the early 20th century. Babe Ruth was certainly no choir boy!

Not defending the guy in any way, even if it was many decades ago, but I’m sure the HOF if filled with all sorts of scalawags, especially if we start digging back into guys from the early 20th century. Babe Ruth was certainly no choir boy!
My wife, the 5th grade teacher, said she doesn’t accept “but he did it too” as legitimate excuse’s from her pupils😉

I don't think he pioneered it, but he often did slide head first.
And it showed in his later choices! LOL
most all of the girls in highschool and college softball slide in head first... but they wear some pretty solid helmets when batting and also when running the bases... ..... even back when my sister and room mate were playing they were required to wear helmets.. .... .i have seen some pretty painful injurious result watching softball on the college networks.... broken wrists and jammed fingers mostly... ...but i also saw at least one dizzy and hearing bells ring after a head to knee collision with an opposiing catcher.... her coach made her sit on the bench for the duration of the game.... .she was still trying to get back in the game though she couldn;t stand up straight.....

most all of the girls in highschool and college softball slide in head first... but they wear some pretty solid helmets when batting and also when running the bases... ..... even back when my sister and room mate were playing they were required to wear helmets.. .... .i have seen some pretty painful injurious result watching softball on the college networks.... broken wrists and jammed fingers mostly... ...but i also saw at least one dizzy and hearing bells ring after a head to knee collision with an opposiing catcher.... her coach made her sit on the bench for the duration of the game.... .she was still trying to get back in the game though she couldn;t stand up straight.....
Headfirst into first base and home base, but feet first into second and third. Believe it or not, that is what the data shows

Headfirst into first base and home base, but feet first into second and third. Believe it or not, that is what the data shows
i wonder if they are taught that way now.... because the worst broken wrist and jammed fingers injury i saw from sliding head first were at 2nd base and 3rd..... but feet first slides don;t seem to produce as many injuries.... .. i never played, but i know if i was out there i would want to go into bases standing up.... just the idea of sliding either way looks painful.... and i definitely would have broken something.... 😵‍💫🤕

i wonder if they are taught that way now.... because the worst broken wrist and jammed fingers injury i saw from sliding head first were at 2nd base and 3rd..... but feet first slides don;t seem to produce as many injuries.... .. i never played, but i know if i was out there i would want to go into bases standing up.... just the idea of sliding either way looks painful.... and i definitely would have broken something.... 😵‍💫🤕
I never could master the art of the slide. I just stuck to running fast to the bases.

My wife, the 5th grade teacher, said she doesn’t accept “but he did it too” as legitimate excuse’s from her pupils😉
I get it, but my point is the HOF is meant to be a showcase of the players who performed the best on the field…not off the field. Tiger Woods has certainly not lived an exemplary life off the course, but no one argues he shouldn’t be in the Golf HOF. Same with OJ Simpson for football.

I get it, but my point is the HOF is meant to be a showcase of the players who performed the best on the field…not off the field. Tiger Woods has certainly not lived an exemplary life off the course, but no one argues he shouldn’t be in the Golf HOF. Same with OJ Simpson for football.
Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Shoeless Joe Jackson, the Black Sox scandal….integrity matters, at least to some.

Last edited:
OK, I’m going to admit that I am very old-school when it comes to certain things, especially sports in general and baseball in particular, so this topic is very germane to the story I’m about to tell.

When I coached baseball through ALAYBOY’s playing years I had one team that had a brother and sister who wanted to play together. I had no problem with her being on the team, but she had to abide by the same rules as the rest of my players. In youth sports the formative years are very much all about fundamentals and development, much more than competitive highly technical stuff. At the very bottom of the ladder on the basics is how to slide into bases. In all of my time in coaching I’ve never seen a player who refused to learn to slide, until her. It was so frustrating. No matter what I did, and I tried numerous methods, from psychological to physical, she followed the instructions during practice, but when it came game time, she locked up and refused to slide. She would regularly be in situations where if only she slid into the base, feet first, she would have been safe. But because she had to slow her momentum down in order to stay on the base and not overrun it, that process caused her to slow down enough to be put out. From a competitive standpoint, it drove me absolutely crazy, but from a confidence perspective for her I knew that it was a bridge that she had to cross if she wanted to continue in sports at a more competitive level in later years. Towards the end of the season, out of exasperation told her that if she did not slide that I would not be able to consider her for the postseason tournaments but even that was not enough to get her to slide. By happenstance, I ran into her mom at the grocery store the other day, and asked how her kids were doing, as I knew that the brother of the non-sliding girl would be playing baseball on the high school team this year. The mom immediately launched into a story related to the daughter, and let me know that she was still competing in sports so I just assume that she eventually learned the necessity of that fundamental skill of sliding into bases.

Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Shoeless Joe Jackson, the Black Sox scandal….integrity matters, at least to some.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. I hope the Rock N Roll HOF never takes off-stage behavior into consideration. We’ll be able to count the members on one hand! LOL