Prayer

patriotic

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Share your favorite Scripture verses, statements, poems, lines of songs, etc., about prayer.

To me, this is the most encouraging verse on prayer in the Bible:

Mark 9:24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

I live here.

Tom Brennan said:

Mark 9:24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

I live here.

Thanks, Tom!

Psalms 121 the chapter...this is my rock!!

Tom Brennan said:

I live here.

Thank you.

Jer. 33:3
Call unto me,
and I will answer thee,
and shew thee great
and mighty things,
which thou knowest not.

fishinnut said:
Call unto me,
and I will answer thee,
and shew thee great
and mighty things,
which thou knowest not.

My mom's favorite.

fishinnut said:
Call unto me,
and I will answer thee,
and shew thee great
and mighty things,
which thou knowest not.

I love this one as well, although I can't read it without singing it.  :)

How about this one

Philippians 4:6 - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive [them], and ye shall have [them].

If I only had the faith to believe this much every time.

Teri in NC said:
fishinnut said:
Call unto me,
and I will answer thee,
and shew thee great
and mighty things,
which thou knowest not.

I love this one as well, although I can't read it without singing it.  :)

So true.

Phil. 4:6-7
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

fishinnut said:
Phil. 4:6-7
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I love reading these.

"...nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

The real LORD's prayer.

If Almighty God would ask His Father in this way how much more should I as a wicked sinner always submit to God's will in all that I ask?

bgwilkinson said:
"...nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

The real LORD's prayer.

If Almighty God would ask His Father in this way how much more should I as a wicked sinner always submit to God's will in all that I ask?

I agree. What is referred to as the Lord's Prayer isn't a prayer, but an outline to learn to pray.

Eph. 1:3-6
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Because we have been adopted into the family of God..........we may "come boldly unto the throne of grace unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Heb. 4:16

sword said:
Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive [them], and ye shall have [them].

If I only had the faith to believe this much every time.

This is the single hardest verse about prayer in the Bible for me to process and live. I'm not even sure I understand it well. It's also one of the few I've never preached on b/c of what I just said. But it sure in in there, isn't it?

fishinnut said:
Eph. 1:3-6
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Because we have been adopted into the family of God..........we may "come boldly unto the throne of grace unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Heb. 4:16

In college I prayed during my break times at Raco Steel. I would walk up and down the road and on the way back into the building I always knelt by a large rock and prayed, "Lord, I come to you tonight with no claim but  that of a child, and that is all the claim in the world." Your link of these two passages together is exactly right. People do not generally march in boldly in order to obtain mercy. They slink in apologetically. But I can march in boldly, even for mercy, b/c I have all the right in the world - the right of a child.

Great post.

patriotic said:
I agree. What is referred to as the Lord's Prayer isn't a prayer, but an outline to learn to pray.

The longest chapter in my book on the Sermon on the Mount expands on exactly this. It is a powerful thought that leads to sweet prayer.