Racial Dating Policies at Bible Colleges

AmazedbyGrace

Elect
Reaction score
Why is this being tolerated?

dating2.jpg

The above is an excerpt from Crown College's dating policy in their handbook. Notice that college students are allowed to date high school juniors, yet interracial dating requires written permission (and verbal confirmation!) by both sets of parents.

And in this West Coast Baptist College memo interracial dating is referred to as Exotic Dating and listed under the heading Unequally Yoked.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDt-D_SC25-dC1hUk5oU29NSjQ/edit?pli=1

Because the people running these places are full of hate?

Because, it tolerated by the sheeple.

What if I guy is 40 years old and the girl is 35? Do they have to get mommy and daddy's permission to date?

In some ways I understand these rules. They are only trying to protect the girls. Also, if you know the rules before you go to the college....adhere to them, if you dont want to dont go!!

I attended and graduated from Crown College. The administration there did not forbid interracial dating when I was there. I do remember some couples that were interracial. The church itself has several nationalities represented in her membership.

I never asked anyone in charge why they required permission for interracial dating, so this is just conjecture on my part. I believe that there still exists in many churches (especially Southern churches) today the belief that interracial dating is somehow wrong. I have had people try to prove this insane doctrine to me by pointing to passages in the OT that forbade the Israelites from intermarrying with Canaanite tribes.

I do not believe that Crown College or Temple Baptist Church holds to this false doctrine. That being said, they may have put the requirement for permission in the instance of interracial dating because they anticipated possible problems arising when a child of someone holding to this doctrine begins dating against their parent's wishes. (I hope that sentence makes sense!)

I don't necessarily agree with that approach to the issue, but I do understand why they would have such a rule on the books. It is a bit of a pragmatic step.

I spent 8 years attending Temple Baptist Church and graduated from Crown College. In that time, I never heard one word about interracial dating. I remember reading the rule in the handbook, but the subject was never talked about officially. In my time there, I never heard Dr. Sexton mention interracial dating, much less preach/teach such a doctrine. I never heard any church staff or college faculty member ever mention the issue, much less teach a doctrine against interracial dating. I do realize that my not hearing of or observing it is an insufficient means for absolute proof, but I do believe that anti-interracial dating was not an issue during my time there.

I think the rule capitulates to the biblical ignorance of some prejudiced people, and therefore I do not personally agree with it. But racism is not an institutional problem there.

Why is this rule being tolerated? Because the students there do not have a problem with it. Interracial dating (even marriage) is not forbidden or taught against at Crown. They simply require parental permission.

---Disclaimer: I have no real "insider" information other than my observations from my time there. This is just my educated guess.

kaba said:
In some ways I understand these rules. They are only trying to protect the girls. Also, if you know the rules before you go to the college....adhere to them, if you dont want to dont go!!

A ban on interracial dating isn't protection.  It's bigoted Christ-less racism.

Boomer said:
I attended and graduated from Crown College. The administration there did not forbid interracial dating when I was there. I do remember some couples that were interracial. The church itself has several nationalities represented in her membership.

I never asked anyone in charge why they required permission for interracial dating, so this is just conjecture on my part. I believe that there still exists in many churches (especially Southern churches) today the belief that interracial dating is somehow wrong. I have had people try to prove this insane doctrine to me by pointing to passages in the OT that forbade the Israelites from intermarrying with Canaanite tribes.

I do not believe that Crown College or Temple Baptist Church holds to this false doctrine. That being said, they may have put the requirement for permission in the instance of interracial dating because they anticipated possible problems arising when a child of someone holding to this doctrine begins dating against their parent's wishes. (I hope that sentence makes sense!)

I don't necessarily agree with that approach to the issue, but I do understand why they would have such a rule on the books. It is a bit of a pragmatic step.

I spent 8 years attending Temple Baptist Church and graduated from Crown College. In that time, I never heard one word about interracial dating. I remember reading the rule in the handbook, but the subject was never talked about officially. In my time there, I never heard Dr. Sexton mention interracial dating, much less preach/teach such a doctrine. I never heard any church staff or college faculty member ever mention the issue, much less teach a doctrine against interracial dating. I do realize that my not hearing of or observing it is an insufficient means for absolute proof, but I do believe that anti-interracial dating was not an issue during my time there.

I think the rule capitulates to the biblical ignorance of some prejudiced people, and therefore I do not personally agree with it. But racism is not an institutional problem there.

Why is this rule being tolerated? Because the students there do not have a problem with it. Interracial dating (even marriage) is not forbidden or taught against at Crown. They simply require parental permission.

---Disclaimer: I have no real "insider" information other than my observations from my time there. This is just my educated guess.

I'd say your guess is accurate. Some of the same things I thought of.

kaba said:

I don't believe that the rule is intended to protect girls (presumably the white girls from the African-American boys?). If an AA girl wanted to date a white boy, they would both have to get parental permission. The same is true for an AA boy who would date a white girl. The rule applies the same way to men and women alike. The protection provided is for the college itself. They are protecting themselves from the possibility of some parents being upset about who their children date.

rsc2a said:
kaba said:

There is no ban on interracial dating at Crown College. Interracial dating is allowed, and I remember interracial couples from my time there. The rule simply states that the couple must have parental permission.

rsc2a said:
kaba said:

I am not a bigot or racist, but I dont want that for my children. I am allowed to have that opinion, and it doesnt make me a hateful person either.

Boomer said:
rsc2a said:
kaba said:

There is no ban on interracial dating at Crown College. Interracial dating is allowed, and I remember interracial couples from my time there. The rule simply states that the couple must have parental permission.

Yet others are not required to get that permission.  It's racist and violently opposed to the message if the gospel because... in your words...pragmatism.  A "Bible Church" with an anti-Christ policy to make racists feel good.

kaba said:
rsc2a said:
kaba said:

I am not a bigot or racist, but I dont want that for my children. I am allowed to have that opinion, and it doesnt make me a hateful person either.

Want what?  Them to date someone other than Anglo? Do you know how violently opposed to the gospel that idea is?

rsc2a said:
kaba said:
rsc2a said:
kaba said:

Want what?  Them to date someone other than Anglo? Do you know how violently opposed to the gospel that idea is?

violently opposed.......strong words

rsc2a said:
Boomer said:
rsc2a said:
kaba said:

Yet others are not required to get that permission.  It's racist and violently opposed to the message if the gospel because... in your words...pragmatism.  A "Bible Church" with an anti-Christ policy to make racists feel good.

I agree that the policy is not biblical and even opposed to the message of the gospel. I do not like the policy at all. But it is not a ban. A ban forbids interracial dating. Their policy does not forbid interracial dating, but rather requires parental permission.

kaba said:
rsc2a said:
kaba said:
rsc2a said:
kaba said:

violently opposed.......strong words

Yes.  They are... intentionally so.  Paul had strong words for Peter's racism too.

Boomer said:
rsc2a said:
Boomer said:
rsc2a said:
kaba said:

I agree that the policy is not biblical and even opposed to the message of the gospel. I do not like the policy at all. But it is not a ban. A ban forbids interracial dating. Their policy does not forbid interracial dating, but rather requires parental permission.

Until which secured,  they are banned. A ban that does not extend to others.

To say nothing of the idea of adults asking permission of others before they date someone...