Rant

Jubal Sackett

Elect
Reaction score
RANT!!!! Can someone please explain his need among some fundys to raise their daughters to be incompetent breeding machines? There was his group of fundys in our homeschool umbrella organization. They kept to themselves and spent most of their time griping about the rest of us. None of them pursued any education past the homeboy diploma.
All of the girls got jobs as ?nannies? (babysitters) and were encouraged to get married as soon as possible. Married to somebody as ill prepared to face the real world as they are. Upon marrying they?re supposed to start squirting out kids as soon as possible regardless whether they can afford them or not.
I?ve shared the foregoing  as preface to an incident that occurred yesterday. My daughter saw a facebook post by one of these girls. She?s 19, recently married, works as a ?nanny? and can?t find her butt with both hands and a flashlight. The poor girl is married to a guy with a $10 per hour job. She posted that she was standing in the grocery store crying with her husband on the phone telling her what items to put back because they can?t afford them. Her momma liked the post with a little laughing emoticon.
I raised my daughter to b a warrior. I made sure that she had the smarts and education to get decent job. She has the ability to support herself with or without a husband. She?s newly married too but to a guy that is able make a decent living. Also, these fundy parents wouldn?t lift a finger to help their adult children if they were dying.  My policy is that the clan takes care of the clan no matter what.  If one goes hungry we all go hungry. An attack on one is an attack on all.

Jubal Sackett

This is limited to "fundys"?

Jubal Sackett said:
RANT!!!! Can someone please explain his need among some fundys to raise their daughters to be incompetent breeding machines? There was his group of fundys in our homeschool umbrella organization. They kept to themselves and spent most of their time griping about the rest of us. None of them pursued any education past the homeboy diploma.
All of the girls got jobs as ?nannies? (babysitters) and were encouraged to get married as soon as possible. Married to somebody as ill prepared to face the real world as they are. Upon marrying they?re supposed to start squirting out kids as soon as possible regardless whether they can afford them or not.
I?ve shared the foregoing  as preface to an incident that occurred yesterday. My daughter saw a facebook post by one of these girls. She?s 19, recently married, works as a ?nanny? and can?t find her butt with both hands and a flashlight. The poor girl is married to a guy with a $10 per hour job. She posted that she was standing in the grocery store crying with her husband on the phone telling her what items to put back because they can?t afford them. Her momma liked the post with a little laughing emoticon.
I raised my daughter to b a warrior. I made sure that she had the smarts and education to get decent job. She has the ability to support herself with or without a husband. She?s newly married too but to a guy that is able make a decent living. Also, these fundy parents wouldn?t lift a finger to help their adult children if they were dying.  My policy is that the clan takes care of the clan no matter what.  If one goes hungry we all go hungry. An attack on one is an attack on all.

Jubal Sackett

I don't think that this is necessarily unique to fundamental families.  It may be more unique to families that are just doing a poor job of raising their kids.  You only rant about daughters, but I'm guessing that if such a family has sons that they are not doing a very good job with the sons, either.

Pushing a girl to get married as soon as possible seems a bit irresponsible on the parents' part.  Her future husband needs to be able to support her as well as a possible family. Why would they allow her to marry a guy who can barely support himself?

I'm rather shocked that the mother would think it amusing re her crying daughter at the grocery store.  That's not  funny -- it's tragic.

I don't know that a daughter needs to be a "warrior" - but she ought to be able to stand on her own feet as a Christian (she should know WHY she believes WHAT she believes and be able to defend it) and as a person... she should be capable of living on her own if a husband doesn't appear in the picture as soon as she is finished with her education.

I want my daughter to marry and have children, but I don't want to rush into marriage; I want the potential husband to be able to provide and have character.

Regarding helping... that can be tricky.  If parents bail children out of financial messes of their own making, they may not learn the lessons that they need to learn.  Most fundamental parents I know very much want to help their children, but sometimes, they are poor themselves and cannot help financially.  Most parents would bend over backwards to help their kids.

I think you rant is more against poor parents than "fundy" parents.

Having said that, there are some churches that call themselves "fundamental" that teach that as long as you attend church, tithe, and go soul-winning that "God will take care of you".... ignoring all of the times Jesus taught about counting the cost.

Walt said:
Jubal Sackett said:

Jubal Sackett

I don't think that this is necessarily unique to fundamental families.  It may be more unique to families that are just doing a poor job of raising their kids.  You only rant about daughters, but I'm guessing that if such a family has sons that they are not doing a very good job with the sons, either.

Pushing a girl to get married as soon as possible seems a bit irresponsible on the parents' part.  Her future husband needs to be able to support her as well as a possible family. Why would they allow her to marry a guy who can barely support himself?

I'm rather shocked that the mother would think it amusing re her crying daughter at the grocery store.  That's not  funny -- it's tragic.

I don't know that a daughter needs to be a "warrior" - but she ought to be able to stand on her own feet as a Christian (she should know WHY she believes WHAT she believes and be able to defend it) and as a person... she should be capable of living on her own if a husband doesn't appear in the picture as soon as she is finished with her education.

I want my daughter to marry and have children, but I don't want to rush into marriage; I want the potential husband to be able to provide and have character.

Regarding helping... that can be tricky.  If parents bail children out of financial messes of their own making, they may not learn the lessons that they need to learn.  Most fundamental parents I know very much want to help their children, but sometimes, they are poor themselves and cannot help financially.  Most parents would bend over backwards to help their kids.

I think you rant is more against poor parents than "fundy" parents.

Having said that, there are some churches that call themselves "fundamental" that teach that as long as you attend church, tithe, and go soul-winning that "God will take care of you".... ignoring all of the times Jesus taught about counting the cost.
Not to lessen the seriousness of the situation, but....

It is hardly "tragic" that some newlywed woman has to trim her shopping list.

If you want me to start naming tragic, I can.

earnestly contend

Fro some reason, reading the OP again makes me think of Wal-Mart.

Twisted said:
Fro some reason, reading the OP again makes me think of Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart, People of

earnestly contend

We raised two daughter who are now raising granddaughters...but none of them turned out to be the second coming of Zena the Warrior Princess.
I'm so ashamed....

I'm in the oil field and have lost my job. I found another one not making near what I was making at the beginning of the year. My wife continues to stay home and homeschools our children.

We have made some serious cutt backs to our budget. Is it a complete lifestyle change? Yep!

We may not have all the extras like everybody else but I don't think we will ever regret my wife staying home and caring for the home.

She has a job and I have one as well.

She knows her place and I know my place as well.

Bruh said:
I'm in the oil field and have lost my job. I found another one not making near what I was making at the beginning of the year. My wife continues to stay home and homeschools our children.

We have made some serious cutt backs to our budget. Is it a complete lifestyle change? Yep!

We may not have all the extras like everybody else but I don't think we will ever regret my wife staying home and caring for the home.

Your wife sounds like a warrior to me.
And so do you.  :)

prophet said:

earnestly contend

I stand corrected. I don't know what the mother thought was so funny.

We have a budget for groceries, and I trust my wife to stick within the  budget.  I would be irritated if she had to call me to ask me what to take back to stay in the budget.

Walt said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

We have a budget for groceries, and I trust my wife to stick within the  budget.  I would be irritated if she had to call me to ask me what to take back to stay in the budget.
Have you never been there, young and newly married?

earnestly contend

My wife has never had to cal, and ask me what to buy or what to put back.

In the early years I worked 2 jobs to assure our needs were met. As I advanced in my education & job position the second job was no longer needed but I did work overtime in at my main job. I suspect he was only working 40 hrs a week at a low paying job, and then putting the financial pressure on his wife. If you can not live on what you make, then you need to get more education or training to acquire the skills that pay better.

The people I know who whine about needing money always seem to work 50 hrs a week or less. Those I know who are very successful are all on the 60 hours per week plan.

sword said:
Those I know who are very successful are all on the 60 hours per week plan.

That's the plan I'm on to keep my posting numbers up.

sword said:

In the early years I worked 2 jobs to assure our needs were met. As I advanced in my education & job position the second job was no longer needed but I did work overtime in at my main job. I suspect he was only working 40 hrs a week at a low paying job, and then putting the financial pressure on his wife. If you can not live on what you make, then you need to get more education or training to acquire the skills that pay better.

The people I know who whine about needing money always seem to work 50 hrs a week or less. Those I know who are very successful are all on the 60 hours per week plan.

There you go. Get 10 more hours of work and everything will be fine.  ;D

subllibrm said:
sword said:

There you go. Get 10 more hours of work and everything will be fine.  ;D

Or better yet get some high demand job training or college degree so you get paid enough on 40 hrs to live on.

sword said:
Or better yet get some high demand job training or college degree so you get paid enough on 40 hrs to live on.

And there is one out there waiting for everyone.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:

Your wife sounds like a warrior to me.
And so do you.  :)

No, just fugal.

prophet said:
Walt said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

Have you never been there, young and newly married?

earnestly contend

Nope, but when newly married, we did shopping together until we accumulated so many responsibilities that we didn't have time.