Rant

My chief gripe is why don't these people see to it that their daughters are educated enough to get a decent job? That's just good parenting. Their girls sole purpose in life is to marry young before they discover sex and then be brood mares for the next 15 or so years.
A  few years ago one of the girls in this enclave's husband was killed in Afghanistan. He left her a 20 yr old widow with two small children. she didn't have the skills to find her butt with both hands and a flashlight so she was forced to move back in with her parents and the herd. Before her husband was good and cold her parents were trying to find her a new husband to take on the responsibility of their daughter and her two children. As Tina Turner sang, "What's love got to do with it?"

Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett said:
My chief gripe is why don't these people see to it that their daughters are educated enough to get a decent job? That's just good parenting. Their girls sole purpose in life is to marry young before they discover sex and then be brood mares for the next 15 or so years.
A  few years ago one of the girls in this enclave's husband was killed in Afghanistan. He left her a 20 yr old widow with two small children. she didn't have the skills to find her butt with both hands and a flashlight so she was forced to move back in with her parents and the herd. Before her husband was good and cold her parents were trying to find her a new husband to take on the responsibility of their daughter and her two children. As Tina Turner sang, "What's love got to do with it?"

Jubal Sackett

Stereotypically, you must live in West Virginia or Tennessee.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Jubal Sackett said:

Jubal Sackett

Actually, I do live in TN and we as a rule don't treat our women in such a fashion.

Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett said:

Jubal Sackett

Part of me agrees with you -- at the same time, what you describe above was common for hundreds of years -- it's only relatively recently that a widow doesn't need to remarry and should be able to succeed on her own (as your post seems to imply).

You imply that the woman has no skills -- not even to be a good mother?  I hope for the sake of her children that she can at least be a good parent.  While it is a good thing to have marketable skills, it's not the be-all and end-all of existence.

Walt said:
Jubal Sackett said:
You imply that the woman has no skills -- not even to be a good mother?  I hope for the sake of her children that she can at least be a good parent.  While it is a good thing to have marketable skills, it's not the be-all and end-all of existence.

I would  think that the importance of marketable skills is directly related to how attached one is to eating on a regular basis and sleeping indoors.

Jubal Sackett

Nannies make good $

earnestly contend

Jubal Sackett said:
RANT!!!! Can someone please explain his need among ''""some""''' fundys to raise their daughters to be incompetent breeding machines? There was his group of fundys in our homeschool umbrella organization. They kept to themselves and spent most of their time griping about the rest of us. None of them pursued any education past the homeboy diploma.
All of the girls got jobs as ?nannies? (babysitters) and were encouraged to get married as soon as possible. Married to somebody as ill prepared to face the real world as they are. Upon marrying they?re supposed to start squirting out kids as soon as possible regardless whether they can afford them or not.
I?ve shared the foregoing  as preface to an incident that occurred yesterday. My daughter saw a facebook post by one of these girls. She?s 19, recently married, works as a ?nanny? and can?t find her butt with both hands and a flashlight. The poor girl is married to a guy with a $10 per hour job. She posted that she was standing in the grocery store crying with her husband on the phone telling her what items to put back because they can?t afford them. Her momma liked the post with a little laughing emoticon.
I raised my daughter to b a warrior. I made sure that she had the smarts and education to get decent job. She has the ability to support herself with or without a husband. She?s newly married too but to a guy that is able make a decent living. Also, these fundy parents wouldn?t lift a finger to help their adult children if they were dying.  My policy is that the clan takes care of the clan no matter what.  If one goes hungry we all go hungry. An attack on one is an attack on all.

Jubal Sackett

With the emphasis on some. More than likely it's a very few.

Nice rant--completely devoid of any Scripture foundation and very heavy on western rationale--but a nice rant none-the-less.

prophet said:
Nannies make good $

earnestly contend

These girls aren't nannies. Nannies move in with a family o care for the children. These girls babysit like 15 yr olds the country over. I don't think that they even qualify as an unlicensed daycare.

Jubal Sackett

Anchor said:
Nice rant--completely devoid of any Scripture foundation and very heavy on western rationale--but a nice rant none-the-less.

Very heavy on common sense. The frontier is gone and it's not coming back. You can't be successful and live like it's still here as much as I'd like to.

Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett said:
prophet said:
Nannies make good $

earnestly contend

These girls aren't nannies. Nannies move in with a family o care for the children. These girls babysit like 15 yr olds the country over. I don't think that they even qualify as an unlicensed daycare.

Jubal Sackett
You called em Nannies.....

earnestly contend

Jubal Sackett said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Jubal Sackett said:

Jubal Sackett

Actually, I do live in TN and we as a rule don't treat our women in such a fashion.

Jubal Sackett

I assumed you were speaking from your experience because we don't treat them like that in NC either...or any other place I've been.

Are you talking about straw women?

prophet said:
Jubal Sackett said:
prophet said:
Jubal Sackett said:
prophet said:
Jubal Sackett
Most of them claim "nannie" as their occupation.
ChuckBob
Are they lying?
earnestly contend
I would say they are nannies in the broad sense of the classification. Why does it matter if they are doing something they enjoy, get paid a commensurate wage, and are good at it.

I have a friend who is a non-live in nanny in NY City (Manhattan). She gets $22.00 an hr. She also eats her meals with the clients & has use of the family Mercedes SUV. The kids have a very active lifestyle so they are gone 50% of the time.

prophet said:
Jubal Sackett said:
prophet said:
Nannies make good $
earnestly contend
Jubal Sackett
earnestly contend

A nanny is someone who is paid to care for someones children's, in the child's home & on a regular basis. Their is no requirement for them to live at the clients home, just that they care for the children on a regular basis.

An Au Pair is someone from another culture, usually another country that cares for another's children. Au Pairs almost always live in the same home as the children they care for and are normally provided room & board.

sword said:
prophet said:
Jubal Sackett said:
prophet said:
Nannies make good $
earnestly contend
Jubal Sackett
earnestly contend

A nanny is someone who is paid to care for someones children's, in the child's home & on a regular basis. Their is no requirement for them to live at the clients home, just that they care for the children on a regular basis.

An Au Pair is someone form another culture, usually another country cares for another's children. Au Pairs almost always live in the same home as the children they care for and are normally provided room & board.

And, as I understand it, often get the added benefit of learning/improving their knowledge of the children's home country.

Walt said:
sword said:
prophet said:
Jubal Sackett said:
prophet said:
Nannies make good $
earnestly contend
Jubal Sackett
earnestly contend

An Au Pair is someone from another culture, usually another country who cares for your children. Au Pairs almost always live in the same home as the children they care for and are normally provided room & board.
And, as I understand it, often get the added benefit of learning/improving their knowledge of the children's home country.
I think the cultural experience and opportunity to learn another language makes this ideal for some. Not sure how the cost compare to a traditional nanny.

My nanny growing up went by the name MOM and was married to my father. She put her career on hold till we all finished college. That plan worked well in my home growing up.