Re-rethinking the sinner's prayer

Anchor said:
My question in this whole debate of praying to be saved, whether a prescribed prayer or other, is, if prayer is not a meaningful mechanic, what is?  Acquiring salvation is not  passive.

"For with the heart one believes [directed to God] unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession [directed to men] is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10

There are no "magic words" nor is an audible prayer required. If so, what about those born mute?

[quote author=Citadel of Truth]If so, what about those born mute?[/quote]

:-X

Anchor said:
T-Bone said:

Not sure I agree with you here...the Lord knows the heart and it is much more important than the words. The thief on the cross just trusted Jesus.

The thief on the cross "...said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom." The mechanic utilized here for acquiring salvation was words in the form of a request (a prayer asking Jesus to save him, if you please). 

My question in this whole debate of praying to be saved, whether a prescribed prayer or other, is, if prayer is not a meaningful mechanic, what is?  Acquiring salvation is not  passive.

Romans 10:9 and 10:13 are dogmatic verses. "...shalt be saved" is the Bible speaking. We call and He answers. The sincerity is determined by the condition of the heart and the acceptance by faith of the Gospel.

Whether it's a vocal or silent prayer - God reads lips.

The prayer doesn't save - and neither does the plan. Jesus is a Person, and calling on Him is literally just that - calling in prayer.