Reviews of "Case For Christian Nationalism"

illinoisguy

Elect
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new book "The Case For Christian Nationalism" by Stephen Wolfe? Here are two reviews of the book, by Kevin DeYoung (Presbyterian) and Neil Shenvi (appears to be Baptist):

These reviews are mostly negative. DeYoung says, "The message—that ethnicities shouldn’t mix, that heretics can be killed, that violent revolution is already justified, and that what our nation needs is a charismatic Caesar-like leader to raise our consciousness and galvanize the will of the people—may bear resemblance to certain blood-and-soil nationalisms of the 19th and 20th centuries, but it’s not a nationalism that honors and represents the name of Christ."

Shenvi is critical of Wolfe's teaching on ethnicity: "We should still challenge his thinking about 'ethnicity,' which is deeply flawed, especially in relation to the church. For example, he writes: 'People of different ethnic groups can exercise respect for difference, conduct some routine business with each other, join in inter-ethnic alliances for mutual good, and exercise common humanity (e.g., the good Samaritan), but they cannot have a life together that goes beyond mutual alliance' (p. 148).

"Imagine that Christians of different 'ethnicities' actually came to believe that they could not share a 'life together that goes beyond mutual alliance.'
What would this idea do to the unity of the church? Would Bible studies have to segregate along lines of 'ethnicity?'. . .

"We should flatly reject the idea that Christians who belong to different ethnic groups 'cannot have a life together that goes beyond mutual alliance.' One of the reasons I so strongly oppose critical theory is that it will divide (and is dividing) the church along lines of race, class, and gender, fracturing the people of God into separate camps. Brothers, such things should not be. Christians who rail against the divisive ideas of critical theory must not soft-pedal divisive ideas smuggled in under the guise of 'Christian nationalism.'"

I personally am not impressed with this particular brand of "Christian Nationalism." Wolfe appears to have a Reformed background, and he wants to go back to the original Westminster Confession of 1648 which declared that "magistrates" or government officials have a duty to impose and enforce their version of Christianity. He appears to favor some form of classification and branding of people by ethnic background. He hints at executing heretics and making infant baptism mandatory. If this is what Christian Nationalism is all about, then, in my opinion, we need to be cautious about embracing it, but hey, that's just me.

Is Christian Nationalism good? I just don't know. Putting ANY religious groups beliefs as the centerpiece is not a good thing, IMHO>

It's either Nationalism, or Christian, but never both.
Statism, the error of Cain, is anathema to us.
"Which thing God hates".

It's either Nationalism, or Christian, but never both.
Statism, the error of Cain, is anathema to us.
"Which thing God hates".
The "error of Cain?" Did I miss something here?

Cain rejected The Patriarchy, and built the first City-state.
Statism is the Error of Cain, in which Satan's followers have continued, to this day.
Nicolaitans, Nephillim, Bullies, Kings...Cains.
You may have a lot of homework to do.

Neil Shenvi (appears to be Baptist)
Southern Baptist, to be precise. He is a member of J. D. Greear's church.

"Christian Nationalism" to me looks like a repackaged version of the Theonomy of the 1990s. So I'd think the same criticisms apply now as then (see, for example, Theonomy: A Reformed Critique, eds. Barker and Godfrey, 1990).

Last edited:
Cain rejected The Patriarchy, and built the first City-state.
Statism is the Error of Cain, in which Satan's followers have continued, to this day.
Nicolaitans, Nephillim, Bullies, Kings...Cains.
You may have a lot of homework to do.
What are you smoking??? Please, share some! ;)

The City-state of Enoch, for starters?

I guess we are to ignore the history of city-states?

In case we missed the point, God reset the whole world, under the Patriarchy, after it wandered...twice.
After the Flood, Patriarchy was restored.
Again, the whole world was carried away with Statism, Nimrod being their King (a word derived from "Cain" 😉), and "together they were unprofitable" (Rom 3).
Again, God reset the whole world, each family patriarchy given a different language, and the earth was overspread by Patriarchs, some to feel after God, and some to rebel, the Nations were families of the earth.

And He will return, and reset again, for the same reason:

Malachi 4:5-6
Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet
before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children,
and the heart of the children to their fathers,
lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Since we have the Revelation, we know He comes and smites.

What "state" was Cain a citizen of?
Thank you....I was thinking the State of Confusion...sort of like our friend prophet! I think he's also a resident of the state of stupidity! LOL

k
Why not? Your fairy tale is only possible because you ignore that Gen. 4:17 makes no ideological judgments about Cain building a city.

Don't confuse the donkey...he won't be able to take Leatherneck back to the funny farm!

Why not? Your fairy tale is only possible because you ignore that Gen. 4:17 makes no ideological judgments about Cain building a city.
Now do Babel!

The error of Cain built it.
Contrast with Abraham, who is the father of the faithful, who dwelt apart, as a Patriarch.
He fought against city-states when Lot was captured.
Then, God had Israel remove all of the Canaanite City-states, and dwell by famlies in their place.

Seeing a pattern here?

So, no chance God had a beef with something Cain started?
Murder, Cities, false religion....