Revival sermons.... repeat after repeat.

I don't see evangelists repeating their sermons as a big problem. I can't think of anything in the Bible that forbids it. Christ repeated parts of His Matthew 5-7 Sermon on the Mount in Luke 6 - I doubt that anyone griped about it. My appreciation of hearing Vance Havner and J. Vernon McGee preach at Grace Presbyterian in Peoria, IL, Fred Brown at Calvary Baptist in Normal, IL, and Leonard Ravenhill at Groveland Zion Evangelical United Methodist Church in East Peoria, IL (try saying that rapidly 10 times ) was not diminished by the thought that they might have already preached those sermons somewhere else.

As to Payday Someday preachers all over the country scheduled R.G. Lee months in advance to have him preach that sermon. Yes 10,000's of church members did enjoy hearing it.

Sign of the times. In the last days they heap to themselves teachers having what?

As to your premise of using common phrases and sermon titles, it happens all the time by mistake.

I'd say the odds are they are more like to be "on purpose" than an accident.

Two people can have the same thought or idea without ever hearing each other. I have had a thought during a sermon completely unrelated to what was being preached and mention it to a close friend after the service and he have the same basic thought written down in his sermon notes. Since we had not talked which of us stole the idea from the other. Maybe the Holy Spirit spoke to both of us or maybe shared experances provoked the same idea word for word.

Maybe you both think the same way. No need to blame the Spirit of God. Just why is it you people think God speaks to you in such a manner throughout your lives?

When the Scriptures declared that the "Word of God" came to a Saint of God, it was special. Miraculous. Meaningful and without question. When you kind of people claim it.... It is nothing more than a "claim". Nothing miraculous involved. I lost a good friend one time because I told him the Truth and you need to hear it too. What you got, didn't come from God. It came from Scofeld. Or it came from Calvin. Or it came from some other man and you've lived in their tradition for your entire life claiming "God told you this" and "God told you that". Nothing but wishful thinking on your part.

Which is something that will never change in IFB circles.

Over a lifetime preachers hear many sermons. More today with access to podcasts and sermon archives online. Ideas get repeated over and over and that is how it suppose to be. Paul said "For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard".

Paul saw and heard much differently that you have. Paul also said.

1Co 4:7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Yet, you all glory in your own making.

Furthermore Jack Hyles and John Rice both invited everyone to use any material or ideas they preached if it would help their church. Hyles also said he was just a voice, repeating the lessons he had learned over a lifetime of study and what he had learned from those who went before him. Solomon said "there is no new thing under the sun" so be sure to give God the credit for any sermons you peach or and biblical ideas you teach.

Hyles was a shyster. Go ahead and keep repeating what he said. See where it gets you.

Last edited:
I don't see evangelists repeating their sermons as a big problem. I can't think of anything in the Bible that forbids it. Christ repeated parts of His Matthew 5-7 Sermon on the Mount in Luke 6 - I doubt that anyone griped about it. My appreciation of hearing Vance Havner and J. Vernon McGee preach at Grace Presbyterian in Peoria, IL, Fred Brown at Calvary Baptist in Normal, IL, and Leonard Ravenhill at Groveland Zion Evangelical United Methodist Church in East Peoria, IL (try saying that rapidly 10 times ) was not diminished by the thought that they might have already preached those sermons somewhere else.

Did I say anything about Jesus repeating anything? No. When Jesus taught, He didn't teach like the Pharisees. He taught Truth.

What you have today is just regurgitation of largely nonsensical hogwash that doesn't do anything but divide. They steal one another's sermons and then claim "God gave this to me to give to you"?

How many times have you heard such nonsense in your life?

I sure would have loved to heard Jesus preach. I could care less about Havner, McGee and the like. You're just wasting your time in admiration.

I'd say the odds are they are more like to be "on purpose" than an accident.
More mind reading from Treasure.

When you kind of people claim it.... It is nothing more than a "claim". Nothing miraculous involved. I lost a good friend one time because I told him the Truth and you need to hear it too.
Seems like Treasure is in charge of defining who is and is not allowed to hear from God. You had a smart friend.

Yet, you all glory in your own making.
Treasure making more assumptions about people he knows little about.

Did I say anything about Jesus repeating anything? No. When Jesus taught, He didn't teach like the Pharisees. He taught Truth.
No but a good part of this thread you spent criticizing those who reuse their sermons. By telling them not reuse their messages Treasure is telling them to quit following the example of Christ.

So you were blessed twice. Go ahead. Admit it. There is no shame.
After it was over, we were all too much HACkers to even talk about what had happened. Not just the sermon, but the same lady being used. He used her name over and over, both times. Looking back on it 30 years later, what a hoot!