Rule #11 - Jews Expelled by General Grant

Right. I am a U.S. Grant historian of sorts. I have read 4 books on him and have his Autobiography. That story was about Jewish men (the article says they were not all Jews, but the truth is, almost all of the ones around Vicksburg were) smuggling cotton right before and during the siege of Vicksburg. from the article:
______
General Ulysses S. Grant, one of the Union Army’s most influential officials, was infuriated by the cotton smuggling that damaged the Union’s ability to squeeze the South economically. In his eyes, the perpetrators were all Jews. This wasn’t borne out by evidence—though Jewish people were active as peddlers, merchants and traders, and some undoubtedly made money speculating on cotton, they did not make up the bulk of the black marketeers.

In August 1862, as Grant was preparing the Union Army to take Vicksburg, he commanded his men to examine the baggage of all speculators, giving “special attention” to Jews. In November, he told his subordinates to refuse to let Jews receive permits to travel south of Jackson, Mississippi or travel southward on the railroad.

For Grant, prejudice against Jews mingled with personal animosity. He began his crackdown after discovering a Jewish family’s involvement in a scheme to help use his father’s name to get a legal cotton trading permit in Cincinnati.
______

Lincoln quickly rescinded the order, and Grant saw his mistake, but he said later that he would have done it again to win the war.

The way I heard it, Lincoln had trouble keeping competent generals. The one consistent and competent general he had was Grant. He was a thorn in everyone's side but Lincoln kept relying on him. When asked why, Lincoln replied, "Because he fights."

The way I heard it, Lincoln had trouble keeping competent generals. The one consistent and competent general he had was Grant. He was a thorn in everyone's side but Lincoln kept relying on him. When asked why, Lincoln replied, "Because he fights."
That is a true quote. People said Grant was a drunk because in his former life as a Quartermaster in Oregon he had been apart from his family for a year an started drinking. There was nothing to do there, and he was discovered to be drunk once by a superior. Thereafter he was always known as a drunk. Halleck sent a well known journalist to follow Grant for months and report back. The man told Lincoln and Halleck, "Grant does not drink any more or less than any other soldier." He was not a drunk.

In the 80s, I worked for a Jewish real estate attorney. We were both employed by a large corporation. One of his tasks was to redline several deeds/properties that were being purchased. To my shock, almost every deed stated the property could not be sold to blacks or to Jews. Of course, it was our job to change that, thankfully. I had no idea that things like that existed. I looked at him and shook my head. Of course, it was not new to him. It was news, however, to this protestant white girl. People went to great lengths to embed their prejudice.

Last edited:
To my shock, almost every deed stated the property could not be sold to blacks or to Jews. Of course, it was our job to change that,

Weren't covenants like that unenforceable by the 80s? I can understand the symbolic significanct of changing the deeds to reflect the times, but my more pragmatic side says, why bother messing with what can be safely ignored?

Weren't covenants like that unenforceable by the 80s?
Yes and no. Technically, more like the 1940s in which the SC ruled such practices unconstitutional. However, such restrictions can still be abided by if done so voluntarily, which I suppose really means nothing unless a minority citizen just is so offended by such a rule that they just voluntarily refuse to buy with such a restriction on their deed. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/334/1/