Sex And Gender

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Are two different things.

Male and female = sex

Masculine and feminine = gender

A man may "feel" feminine but he is still a male. A woman may "feel" masculine but she is still a female. And if their "feelings" push them to have their body parts rearranged with surgery, it changes their sex not a whit.

Words mean something and the blurring their distinct meaning and usage only confuses issues. Hence the "need" to make up words like trans-gender.

Of course this is all the result of an ongoing agenda to redefine some words and misuse others.

Nothing more than the latest rebellion against God and His stated order and design for mankind.

More precisely, sex describes the division into male and female of a species that reproduces sexually, as well as the functional differences between them.

Gender, on the other hand, refers to a noun's membership in a class of nouns with a similar construction, along with other words such as adjectives or pronouns that modify those nouns. A given language may have many genders beyond masculine and feminine, such as neuter, or even none (English is non-gendered).

Some people use the word "gender" as a euphemism for someone's sex.  Beyond that, the distinction between sex (determined by biology) or gender (a social construct) is a myth. The theory was popularized in the 1950s by sexologist named John Money, who put it to the test with a baby boy named Bruce Reimer,  who had had his genitals mutilated in a botched circumcision. Money recommended that Bruce be surgically altered to look like a girl, and told his parents that if they raised him as a girl, he would accept that gender identity.

It only worked until puberty. At around age 9 or 11, "Brenda" Reimer no longer accepted that he was a girl, even though he didn't know he'd been born a boy. When he was 15, he transitioned back to a male, and took the name David. Unfortunately, John Money's advice had screwed up his life, and so after being bullied, battling depression, and his marriage going south, David Reimer committed suicide in 2004.  Yet, even though Money's theories have failed experimentally, the sex/gender distinction is still taken for granted - that's the assumption underlying the "bathroom wars," that sex might be determined at conception, but gender is malleable.

Ransom said:
More precisely, sex describes the division into male and female of a species that reproduces sexually, as well as the functional differences between them.

Gender, on the other hand, refers to a noun's membership in a class of nouns with a similar construction, along with other words such as adjectives or pronouns that modify those nouns. A given language may have many genders beyond masculine and feminine, such as neuter, or even none (English is non-gendered).

Some people use the word "gender" as a euphemism for someone's sex.  Beyond that, the distinction between sex (determined by biology) or gender (a social construct) is a myth. The theory was popularized in the 1950s by sexologist named John Money, who put it to the test with a baby boy named Bruce Reimer,  who had had his genitals mutilated in a botched circumcision. Money recommended that Bruce be surgically altered to look like a girl, and told his parents that if they raised him as a girl, he would accept that gender identity.

It only worked until puberty. At around age 9 or 11, "Brenda" Reimer no longer accepted that he was a girl, even though he didn't know he'd been born a boy. When he was 15, he transitioned back to a male, and took the name David. Unfortunately, John Money's advice had screwed up his life, and so after being bullied, battling depression, and his marriage going south, David Reimer committed suicide in 2004.  Yet, even though Money's theories have failed experimentally, the sex/gender distinction is still taken for granted - that's the assumption underlying the "bathroom wars," that sex might be determined at conception, but gender is malleable.

More succinctly:

XX = female
XY = male

;)

BTW thanks for the info. Good stuff. It also proves my contention that those who point to science as the answer to everything have no problem ignoring it when it doesn't match their desired outcome.

subllibrm said:
Are two different things.

Male and female = sex

Masculine and feminine = gender

A man may "feel" feminine but he is still a male. A woman may "feel" masculine but she is still a female. And if their "feelings" push them to have their body parts rearranged with surgery, it changes their sex not a whit.

Words mean something and the blurring their distinct meaning and usage only confuses issues. Hence the "need" to make up words like trans-gender.

Of course this is all the result of an ongoing agenda to redefine some words and misuse others.

Nothing more than the latest rebellion against God and His stated order and design for mankind.

Yes, and the using the word "gender" when "sex" is really meant is a pet peeve of mind.

Walt said:
Yes, and the using the word "gender" when "sex" is really meant is a pet peeve of mind.

I never use the word gender when I mean sex. You can ask my wife!  8)

This thread is a colossal waste of God's electrons.  Nouns, pronouns my [deleted].  Adjectives too.

Who is claiming that sex and gender are the same thing?  What does poor Reimer's ordeal have to do with the price of poutine in Gatineau?  Few people, if any, are being forced to accept a new gender identity and who says that's possible anyway?    Few, if any would choose to do so just for the fun of it.

From the U.K. National Health Service:

"Biological sex is assigned at birth, depending on the appearance of the genitals. Gender identity is the gender that a person "identifies" with or feels themselves to be.

While biological sex and gender identity are the same for most people, this isn't the case for everyone. For example, some people may have the anatomy of a man, but identify themselves as a woman, while others may not feel they're definitively either male or female.

This mismatch between sex and gender identity can lead to distressing and uncomfortable feelings that are called gender dysphoria.  Gender dysphoria is a recognised medical condition, for which treatment is sometimes appropriate. It's not a mental illness.

Some people with gender dysphoria have a strong and persistent desire to live according to their gender identity, rather than their biological sex. These people are sometimes called transsexual or trans people. Some trans people have treatment to make their physical appearance more consistent with their gender identity."

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/Pages/Introduction.aspx

"Gender dysphoria is a recognised medical condition."  In other words, people, such as transgenders who have the condition can't help it.  Why else would anyone be willing to endure the ridicule and embarrassment of living openly as a transgender, e.g. Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner, if they didn't have a consuming inner need to do so?

"Nothing more than the latest rebellion against God and His stated order and design for mankind."

Surely you jest.

$

Watch your language, Shemp. - Ransom

Merriam Webster
Definition of dysphoria

1:  a state of feeling unwell or unhappy

The answer to all dysphoria is Christ. For Christians to accept surgically altering the body to create a sense of well being, rather than pointing them to the Savior is beyond my comprehension.

Mr. Hall said:
Watch your language, Shemp. - Ransom

Surely you jest.  Getting a little carried away here aren't we General?

$

subllibrm said:
Merriam Webster
Definition of dysphoria

1:  a state of feeling unwell or unhappy

The answer to all dysphoria is Christ. For Christians to accept surgically altering the body to create a sense of well being, rather than pointing them to the Savior is beyond my comprehension.

If a child is born with a cleft palate we surgically alter the body to fix that.

Gender dysphoria is also a medical condition.  If a child is born with the characteristics that cause gendor dysphoria to develop and wishes to have their body surgically altered to relieve that, why not?  Who's it hurting?

$

Ransom said:
Try me and find out, boy.

The word that you deleted IS in the Bible.  I agree that his use of the word is inappropriate, but you could handle this a little more respectfully.

Route_70 said:
Ransom said:

The word that you deleted IS in the Bible.  I agree that his use of the word is inappropriate, but you could handle this a little more respectfully.

The collection of letters I used is not really a word!  How can it be inappropriate?

$

Ransom said:

Look at the little nobody:  A big man in his little electronic world.  Do you actually think I give a hoot what you do or don't do?

$

Mr. Hall said:
The collection of letters I used is not really a word!  How can it be inappropriate?

Well, I confess that I did not see the word that was deleted; but by the construct of the sentence I surmised a word that generally would be inappropriate.  It is not my place to point out to you the error of your ways; but if the word you used was the word that in the Bible refers to a donkey, then you should not use it.  It is inappropriate for the admin to issue a public reprimand: that should be done in private.