Should a Deacon Be Doctrinally Secure with Church Doctrinal Statement?

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
The subject of appointing a new deacon has come up at our Church. While it isn't confirmed, it might be that yours truly could be considered for the role of deacon.

I thought this could be a springboard for a thread regarding Deacons, their role, and specifically what the Bible says in 1 Timothy 3:1-7. How closely are Churches matching men to 1 Timothy? Should that man be 100% in agreement with the Churches printed doctrinal statement?

How would you respond to such a nomination?

Tim said:
The subject of appointing a new deacon has come up at our Church. While it isn't confirmed, it might be that yours truly could be considered for the role of deacon.

I thought this could be a springboard for a thread regarding Deacons, their role, and specifically what the Bible says in 1 Timothy 3:1-7. How closely are Churches matching men to 1 Timothy? Should that man be 100% in agreement with the Churches printed doctrinal statement?

First, you must define "deacon". The common definition and practice of said office is entirely silly. The Greek text simply means a servant.

At my church, deacons must first be members. As such, they are in agreement with the doctrinal statement already.

Tim said:

Absolutely. "They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience...Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus."

Of course this assumes that the Doctrinal statement is sound.

FSSL said:
Tim said:

Absolutely. "They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience...Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus."

In other words..... forget adhering to the principles of the Scriptures. You must focus on the churches "doctrinal statement"!

I don't understand why churches create such things. Just hold up your bible and say I believe the Scriptures.

praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:
Tim said:

In other words..... forget adhering to the principles of the Scriptures. You must focus on the churches "doctrinal statement"!

I don't understand why churches create such things. Just hold up your bible and say I believe the Scriptures.

In addition, I challenge you to find a person who agreed to a doctrinal statement who did so because he/she studied the Bible thoroughly on the issues.  For very, very basic doctrinal statements, maybe.  But some doctrinal statements wander into territories like pre-trib rapture, doctrine of imminence, etc. 

praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:
Tim said:

After reading many threads on this forum over the last several months...that would not work either.  There are those who have created their own canon. 8)

T-Bone said:
praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:
Tim said:

After reading many threads on this forum over the last several months...that would not work either.  There are those who have created their own canon. 8)

True... :)

Its just one of many problems but I don't see why the problem should dictate the method. Ultimately its about adherence to the Scriptures

Some wear doctrine statements as a "badge of honor".

praise_yeshua said:

Hey... reader... why do you have trouble understanding this sentence? "Of course this assumes that the Doctrinal statement is sound."

Harry Emerson Fosdicks battle cry!

Assuming the doctrinal statement is sound, the statement reiterates Scripture.

Tim said:
Tithing, pre-trib rapture, drinking alcohol (and other "christian conduct" standards injected into it), KJV only stand, doctrine of God (freewill vs sovereign theology - personally acceptance of both views, unlike my pastor who blast "Calvinist" as wrong) ... some of that even the pastor doesn't believe (kjv only), but I feel as a deacon I would have issues working with the other ones who do hold such doctrines still. For example, I wouldn't recommend a KJV to a newly saved person.

Forget the deacon thingy! I wouldn't even be a member of that church.

FSSL said:
praise_yeshua said:

Hey... reader... why do you have trouble understanding this sentence? "Of course this assumes that the Doctrinal statement is sound."

Sure.... go ahead and ADD to the Scriptures.

Its evident the Scriptures aren't good enough for you.

Did Jesus carry around a doctrinal statement?

Tim said:
FSSL said:
Tim said:
Tithing, pre-trib rapture, drinking alcohol (and other "christian conduct" standards injected into it), KJV only stand, doctrine of God (freewill vs sovereign theology - personally acceptance of both views, unlike my pastor who blast "Calvinist" as wrong) ... some of that even the pastor doesn't believe (kjv only), but I feel as a deacon I would have issues working with the other ones who do hold such doctrines still. For example, I wouldn't recommend a KJV to a newly saved person.

Forget the deacon thingy! I wouldn't even be a member of that church.

Most of that wouldn't even be on  my radar if it wasn't for the FFF ... LOL

Why do you even consider it?

I'll tell you one thing.... I bet you're regret it within a few weeks.

Have you ever been part of a so called "deacons" meeting?

Its usually just a meeting to rubber stamp whatever the "pastor" wants. Don't you dare tell them they are wrong about something.

No one is adding to the Scriptures. If that is the case, next time you teach a Bible lesson... You had better not give any explanations of the text.

Paul spoke of and even quoted from "faithful and trustworthy sayings."

FSSL said:
No one is adding to the Scriptures. If that is the case, next time you teach a Bible lesson... You had better not give any explanations of the text.

Sure you are. Post your statement and I'll prove it.

Paul quoted from the Scriptures.

Tim said:
praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:
praise_yeshua said:

Sure.... go ahead and ADD to the Scriptures.

Its evident the Scriptures aren't good enough for you.

Did Jesus carry around a doctrinal statement?

He was the doctrinal statement.

Ah.......

So you're saying.... a person can..... speak what they believe without carrying around a sign requiring acceptance?

You know. It does stand to reason that any "Bible Believing" non-denominational Church would point to the Bible as a doctrinal statement.

But, it also seems important to have a document highlighting the beliefs of that congregation to refute false teaching. To make a clear statement that the Church believes in salvation only through Jesus Christ, the virgin birth, trinity ... but quickly that can build into opinion when it comes to Christian conduct and such.

I just looked at our Churches belief statement on our website, and the first paragraph states "We further believe the Authorized King James Version as being God?s word preserved for the English Language, and as the only Bible by which we study and preach" ... I know quite a few who don't believe this at the Church. So. It seems rather a lie published.

... or not removed because of political expediency.

praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:

Sure you are. Post your statement and I'll prove it.

Paul quoted from the Scriptures.

Certain ?faithful sayings? were inscripturated.
The apostles did not criticize or rebuke people for saying and writing things that were true about Scripture. Instead, they encouraged the use of confessions.

The apostles called them ?sound words? and most usually ?trustworthy sayings.? Paul incorporated certain ?faithful sayings? into his writings.3

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. . . . (1Ti 1.15)

Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. (1Ti 3.1)

This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe. (1Ti 4.9?10)