So take me through the process

RAIDER said:
The majority of us on here attended HAC.  Most of us graduated from HAC.  I would dare say that most of us attended or worked in an IFB church after graduation.  Now..................there are a few on here that no longer attend an IFB church.  Fish is the first one that comes to my mind, but I know there are others.

Here is the topic for this thread.  Take us through the process that took you to the non IFB church of which you are now a part.  I will go out on a limb and say that you would have never attended the church you are now at immediately after you left HAC.  What happened?  How uncomfortable were you with the music the first time you attended?  Did it initially bother you when a different version of the Bible was used?  Obviously it is a night and day difference from that to which you were accustomed.  Take us through the process.   

To respond to the original question, which is a good one.

Didn't attend HAC but grew up in a church pastored by an HAC "star" and continued attending and serving in many capacities for the first 10 years of my adult life.  Immediate and extended family also went (and still go).  Now attend an SBC church - expository preaching, biblical counseling, small groups, aggressive church-planting, etc..

The "process" was reading Scripture, reading books written by authors "outside the camp," and listening to online sermons.  From this I came to believe that the actual content of Scripture, the Gospel-driven paradigm for living the Christian life (as opposed to man-centered self-determinism), and Jesus were more important than any other cultural or traditional "norm" I may have been accustomed to.  In other words - the truth as best I can humbly learn, understand, and apply it as it is proclaimed in Scripture and impressed upon my heart by the Spirit.

There were certainly some transition pains and some mildly uncomfortable things about the change that we had to overcome.  But experiencing different Bible versions and music styles were not too much a bother since such things were not part of the analysis and equation for our decision to change in the first place, except to the extent we were no longer willing to have such things dilute, obscure, or distract from the things that really mattered, and were no longer going to endure people and ministries that insist upon doing so.

As is often the case when God leads us to change, the most bewildering thing is how and why we did not make the change sooner.  Of course, there is also the irony where we find it extremely difficult to understand how anyone remains ... but of course we did for decades so we should perhaps have more understanding.  Most perplexing though, are the pastors who - having been made at least somewhat aware of Christ-centered, text-driven, God-exalting preaching and ministry - nonetheless persist in their man-centered, Jesus-minimizing, text-abusing/ignoring ways ... this is by far the most troubling and confusing thing we have faced.

Twisted said:
TidesofTruth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Thank you for proving my point. Not a SINGLE passage from the teachings of Jesus.
So the Old Testament is not inspired? All the prophecies concerning Christ are lies? And Luke lied when he said all the prophets preached Christ?  Wow. Just wow. :(

You are arguing with a complete and utter heretic who has no ability whatsoever to rightly divide scripture, takes teaching to Hebrew people from Jesus and tries to shoehorn it into a gospel for the gentile.  He is a heretic and I marked him as such long ago. 

Somehow he believes that the memories of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in as late of years as 80's or 90's are a more valid representation of what Jesus said than the inspiration of Jesus' own spirit on the rest of scripture.  Somehow he has managed to make our Jehovah God into a little insignificant being who has no control whatsoever over His own word and ability to keep and preserve it to the generations that followed except for maybe the words that somehow God got man to place into a red color on a piece of paper.

All true, but we still love him.

Just as Galatians 1:9 teaches us.
And Don Boys....

Walt said:
I suspect that many people have been wounded in their soul or spirit in IFB churches and have, like a pendulum, "over-corrected" to escape the evils they saw.

Back to topic???

I agree 100% with Walt here.  I don't think most of us would be here if we weren't hurt in some way by IFB'dom.

But too many have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

I went to HAC as a wide-eyed, raging fundamentalist.  Luckily ran into the perfect staff member to be shown the "better" ways of behaving and loving people.  Yes, some of the staff were idiots.  Bro. Hyles wasn't perfect.  Schaap was an idiot and even lied to me personally.  But most of the things they taught were still right.  Yes, there were a lot of opinions and "where is that in the Bible" things taught.  Too many throw out the good stuff when realizing the ideals they hold so dear weren't ever Bible in the first place.

I live in a place where it's almost a badge of honor to be a HAC grad and you criticize Bro. Hyles.  Like they guy never did anything right.  Gets old.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
TidesofTruth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Thank you for proving my point. Not a SINGLE passage from the teachings of Jesus.
So the Old Testament is not inspired? All the prophecies concerning Christ are lies? And Luke lied when he said all the prophets preached Christ?  Wow. Just wow. :(

You are arguing with a complete and utter heretic who has no ability whatsoever to rightly divide scripture, takes teaching to Hebrew people from Jesus and tries to shoehorn it into a gospel for the gentile.  He is a heretic and I marked him as such long ago. 

Somehow he believes that the memories of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in as late of years as 80's or 90's are a more valid representation of what Jesus said than the inspiration of Jesus' own spirit on the rest of scripture.  Somehow he has managed to make our Jehovah God into a little insignificant being who has no control whatsoever over His own word and ability to keep and preserve it to the generations that followed except for maybe the words that somehow God got man to place into a red color on a piece of paper.

That is correct. Which is the very same "gospel" that was allegedly given to Paul "personally by Jesus" and not "through humans" (verses 11-12), both gospel content and distribution of which defies the Great Commission. So yeah, I'm fine with going with the words of the anti-Christ Paul and let me "be accursed".

I'm somewhat surprised you aren't a follower of Joseph Smith who made the same Pauline claims.

:)

Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
TidesofTruth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:
Smellin Coffee said:

That is correct. Which is the very same "gospel" that was allegedly given to Paul "personally by Jesus" and not "through humans" (verses 11-12), both gospel content and distribution of which defies the Great Commission. So yeah, I'm fine with going with the words of the anti-Christ Paul and let me "be accursed".

I'm somewhat surprised you aren't a follower of Joseph Smith who made the same Pauline claims.

I'm not surprised by any fatuous comment, claim or cut and paste link you produce.
;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
TidesofTruth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I'm not surprised by any fatuous comment, claim or cut and paste link you produce.
;)

If the point is inane, you are welcome to defend your position.

Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
TidesofTruth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:
Smellin Coffee said:

;)

If the point is inane, you are welcome to defend your position.

Defend my so called position (which is simply a Bible reference) against what?

Few real surprises here.

Many former IFBs who still live for God got out for the same reason: they found a better church that wasn't IFB. And if it is possible to grow spiritually and serve successfully in a church from a different group or denomination, then the doctrine that you must attend a church in your own group or denomination is not true.