Sometimes, you just can't win!

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Our church buildings are located on a well travelled road in our city...we are easy to get to!
For that reason, twice each year we sponsor/host blood drives.
Have for years...but we receive criticism from some other churches/church folk because we have 'forsaken the ministry' for 'social work'.

Just goes to show, yet again, that not everyone thinks alike...but this is a criticism...a perspective...that would never have crossed my mind.
Can any of you see a point here, at all?

The point is that the critics are idiots.  To satisfy my curiosity, which denominations are the predominant critics?

I for one congratulate you on being involved in the welfare of your community. Just because some liberal churches do the right thing doesn't mean that it isn't the right thing to do.

samspade said:
I for one congratulate you on being involved in the welfare of your community. Just because some liberal churches do the right thing doesn't mean that it isn't the right thing to do.

But how will the heathen know that we are the true believers if we look and act like those liberal pretenders?  8)

I only know of scattered instances...one of our men was in a local restaurant this AM and mentioned he was going to donate blood at his church. A couple of old guys in his regular group told him their Pastor, a Baptist, was against their buildings being used for such social work. Last fall, during our drive, a local Pentecostal preacher made a very public remark about churches donating blood instead of preaching the blood.

My point is that I would never in a million years think anyone could be against helping to raise blood donations...simply because it's in a church building. Church buildings aren't 'sacred', at least not to that extreme...but I guess you never know!

Our church building has been used for polling a time or two or three...

Tarheel Baptist said:
Our church buildings are located on a well travelled road in our city...we are easy to get to!
Have for years...but we receive criticism from some other churches/church folk because we have 'forsaken the ministry' for 'social work'.

Just goes to show, yet again, that not everyone thinks alike...but this is a criticism...a perspective...that would never have crossed my mind.

I thought a blood drive would be scriptual. Leviticus 17:11
I see that part a ministry of your church helping people to survive to hear the gospel. etc.

Tarheel Baptist said:
I only know of scattered instances...one of our men was in a local restaurant this AM and mentioned he was going to donate blood at his church. A couple of old guys in his regular group told him their Pastor, a Baptist, was against their buildings being used for such social work. Last fall, during our drive, a local Pentecostal preacher made a very public remark about churches donating blood instead of preaching the blood.

My point is that I would never in a million years think anyone could be against helping to raise blood donations...simply because it's in a church building. Church buildings aren't 'sacred', at least not to that extreme...but I guess you never know!

They're jealous....  :)

I wouldn't think another thing about it.

I going with the fact that they are IDIOTS!

Tarheel Baptist said:

Liberal! 

8)

Maybe the two preacher's who criticized you have "B negative" blood......

:eek:

OK, that was bad...........

Tarheel Baptist said:

I assume it's just jealousy.  Or making excuses.

If we gave every Tom, Dick and Harry that came along a cup of cold water, they would just get thirsty again and want more.

Nope, we have more important fish to fry. We gotta get them wimmin out of their pants!

Tarheel Baptist said:
A couple of old guys in his regular group told him their Pastor, a Baptist, was against their buildings being used for such social work.
I would recommend to him that he answer these men, "That, my friends, is why I don't go to your church!"

Last fall, during our drive, a local Pentecostal preacher made a very public remark about churches donating blood instead of preaching the blood.

Funny how people assume that it is always an either/or situation. I dare say that ya'll do both.

Our church has allowed the county to use the fellowship hall as a polling place. We've also set up for hurricane relief in our church and gave away water and basic necessities. Such activities are reaching out to the community. They're more likely to come and worship with us if they see a genuine concern for them. Critical churches would never admit that, though. 

FBCH has done it for years, don't know if they still do.

Citadel of Truth said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
A couple of old guys in his regular group told him their Pastor, a Baptist, was against their buildings being used for such social work.
I would recommend to him that he answer these men, "That, my friends, is why I don't go to your church!"

Last fall, during our drive, a local Pentecostal preacher made a very public remark about churches donating blood instead of preaching the blood.

Funny how people assume that it is always an either/or situation. I dare say that ya'll do both.

Our church has allowed the county to use the fellowship hall as a polling place. We've also set up for hurricane relief in our church and gave away water and basic necessities. Such activities are reaching out to the community. They're more likely to come and worship with us if they see a genuine concern for them. Critical churches would never admit that, though.

It seems that this is one of the very rare subjects on which we have unanimous agreement on the FFF!
No small accomplishment!

Which goes to my point...we aren't concerned about the criticism (which is far from overwhelming)... but I just cannot begin to see the reasoning behind such criticism.
It is akin to the belief among some Baptist brethren down here, that eating and drinking is anathema in the church buildings...you must eat and drink in a fellowship building that is DETACHED from your auditorium.

WEB:
Our church has done blood donation days for years.  But, it's not inside the church.  The blood bank brings a big motorhome type of vehicle that has 4 donor lounge chairs and a small waiting area. 

When we were in our prior location next to a Jewish temple, it was a shared donation day.  (They had some sort of Sunday school thing going on.)

prophet said:
FBCH has done it for years, don't know if they still do.

And, a couple of other churches here sponsor blood drives as well...and others serve as polling places.
Never heard criticism about polling places in churches, but I guess there might be some....

Tarheel Baptist said:
It is akin to the belief among some Baptist brethren down here, that eating and drinking is anathema in the church buildings...you must eat and drink in a fellowship building that is DETACHED from your auditorium.

We removed our pews and switched to linkable chairs. It has opened up so many options for utilizing limited space. For two of my girls weddings we set up tables and the ceremony was akin to dinner theater. Held the reception right there immediately after the I dos. One room to clean. No travel time. No wait for the wedding party to arrive.

Now we do a Christmas musical every December. We set it up in a similar way and then members "buy" tables and invite friends to come for a night out. Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening in early December. The response has been great!

For Halloween we take all the chairs out and set up a bounce house. The vaulted ceiling allows room to get one of the big ones! All around the perimeter are games and candy stations. We did the outdoor "trunk-r-treat" thing for several years but Michigan weather is so iffy we moved it in doors and never looked back. Hundreds of people attend each year.

It is just a big room.

I am for the program.  To answer the OP, the criticism is from the missions debate.  Some have moved completely to social service for missions and have completely abandoned evangelism.  I think most here would agree that this is not a good practice.  To combat this movement, aome have awung the pendulum to far on the other direction to create their own error of never being involved in social helps.

Binaca Chugger said:
I am for the program.  To answer the OP, the criticism is from the missions debate.  Some have moved completely to social service for missions and have completely abandoned evangelism.  I think most here would agree that this is not a good practice.  To combat this movement, aome have awung the pendulum to far on the other direction to create their own error of never being involved in social helps.

I agree with binaca chugger. My guess is these critics have seen churches lose their focus over the years. If soulwinning & outreach is replaced with recycling drives & social work it would be a problem with balance. I'm all for blood drives & other community events.