South Point Baptist Church / Other Churches in the Region

WESLEY

Elect
Reaction score
Does anyone know what South Point runs on Sunday morning?  How many of those are former FBCH members?

Also, same questions for:

-Life Point (Brian Cassada)
-Faith Way  (Bob Marshall)
-Casa de Gracia  (Freddy De Anda)
-Dyer Baptist
-Highland Baptist
-Bethel Church

WESLEY said:
Does anyone know what South Point runs on Sunday morning?  How many of those are former FBCH members?

-Dyer Baptist
-Highland Baptist
-Bethel Church

If they are pastoring churches within an hour of FBCH they are not right with God!!

WESLEY said:

-Dyer Baptist
-Highland Baptist
-Bethel Church
It's been a while since I've visited the area. But there are former FHBC members at Bethel and Highland. Dyer Baptist may have some also. However, when I was in school in the 1970s and 1980s, Dyer Baptist was its own small church. Not really a competitor to FHBC. Similar perhaps to Lake Hills Baptist, which some of the Calumet Baptist students belonged to and which absorbed a handful of FHBC refugees.

South Point just dropped the word "Baptist" off its name. It's now South Point Community Church instead of South Point Baptist Church. Still a Baptist church but changing that one word removes a whole stigmata Baptist have in the area. Clyde and his wife attend and a few families from FBCH but not many.

Edit:
Jon made a Facebook post about it and well... Let's just say the response was typical from the hardcore baptists.

Disagree with him doing this, but not going to respond to him online since he didn't ask for my opinion :)

Removing Baptist shows a clear choice of direction and is certainly not limited to signage or promotion.

I do not consider myself IFB but I am a Bible Believing Independent Baptist.  If I had the choice, I would rather be associated with the IFB crowd than the Mega-Church/Hillsong/Neo-Evangelical movement.  Jon obviously would rather do the opposite.

I don't know what saddens me more....the large contingent of easily influenced folks who support his decision or the obnoxiously vocal detractors who sometimes make me want to change our name as well.

Well... Clyde Wolfe is a deacon and well... it made it past deacons that says a lot to me.

cpizzle said:
Disagree with him doing this, but not going to respond to him online since he didn't ask for my opinion :)

Removing Baptist shows a clear choice of direction and is certainly not limited to signage or promotion.

I do not consider myself IFB but I am a Bible Believing Independent Baptist.  If I had the choice, I would rather be associated with the IFB crowd than the Mega-Church/Hillsong/Neo-Evangelical movement.  Jon obviously would rather do the opposite.

I don't know what saddens me more....the large contingent of easily influenced folks who support his decision or the obnoxiously vocal detractors who sometimes make me want to change our name as well.

This is a great post.

I was reminded that things go in circles; many years ago (when I was in high school), there was such a disdain for "labels" and how bad it was to "label" someone.  Looks like this group has aged and become in charge.

Labels can be good identifiers; I much prefer "Baptist" on a church name - assuming they are Baptist - it doesn't tell me everything, but it does tell me more than some generic name like "City Church".

I really liked cpizzle's post here.

Would it be possible to share or copy/paste the Facebook  post with the explanation?

Without having read it (obviously) my initial take is the members must prefer the change and the church. If most of them came from FBC or IFB churches, then they probably know how to go back  if this church isn't what they want.

And, since I don't attend that church, I don't really care what the name is.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I think the post is deleted... I was going to see who was giving Jon static. Figure it was some of the same who were defending Schaap when he was caught...um... speaking in tounges with one of his parishioners.

Here it is.

Jon Cuozzo added 2 new photos.
February 13 at 10:41am ?
Our church held a membership vote last Wednesday night. The vote was about if our church would tweak our name from South Point Baptist Church to South Point Community Church. 100% of the members who were present voted to approve the recommendation from myself and the deacons. It is done. The vote only dealt with the name of the church. Our actual Bible doctrine has not changed. We are still Baptists.

27798055_10215038617619745_5659743794717109839_o.jpg

27912829_10215038617579744_4600419255240695304_o.jpg

bgwilkinson said:
Here it is.

Our church held a membership vote last Wednesday night. The vote was about if our church would tweak our name from South Point Baptist Church to South Point Community Church. 100% of the members who were present voted to approve the recommendation from myself and the deacons. It is done. The vote only dealt with the name of the church. Our actual Bible doctrine has not changed. We are still Baptists.
Albeit incognito.

16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:
Here it is.

Albeit incognito.

Some see the Baptist Church (specifically IFB's) as a Negative with some Positive.  Others see it as Positive with some Negative.  Those that view it primarily negatively want to separate themselves from the "stigma" of legalism, abuse, immorality (not the way I see it, but certainly viewed that way by many others.)  They mostly adhere to the doctrine, but dislike the association.

I would rather be a reformer than a deserter.  The Baptist Church has flaws....then lets lead the way in correcting them.  You can't just change the name of the USA and suddenly you are no longer associated with slavery or the native American genocide.  No, you must be an active agent of change for the good and rebuild what has been destroyed.  I channeled Churchill when Jon first started talking about this online, "The Baptist Church is the worst form of Christianity....except for all the others."

cpizzle said:
16KJV11 said:
bgwilkinson said:
Here it is.

Albeit incognito.

Some see the Baptist Church (specifically IFB's) as a Negative with some Positive.  Others see it as Positive with some Negative.  Those that view it primarily negatively want to separate themselves from the "stigma" of legalism, abuse, immorality (not the way I see it, but certainly viewed that way by many others.)  They mostly adhere to the doctrine, but dislike the association.

I would rather be a reformer than a deserter.  The Baptist Church has flaws....then lets lead the way in correcting them.  You can't just change the name of the USA and suddenly you are no longer associated with slavery or the native American genocide.  No, you must be an active agent of change for the good and rebuild what has been destroyed.  I channeled Churchill when Jon first started talking about this online, "The Baptist Church is the worst form of Christianity....except for all the others."
I understand what you are saying about being a reformer and correction, but to me, that only exists in the context of an official 'denomination'. 
There is no IFB convention that votes this way or that way on polity or doctrinal issues.
Even when Bro. Hyles was alive, most of us were and still are fiercely independant. 
I guess the closest that one can be towards trying to correct things is writing a book about IFB'dom like Tom Brennan did.
But still, all you can do is try to identify the problems you see, write' about them, or preach on You Tube or in conferences about them.

Then lets use Christianity as an example.

How do we best change any negative perceptions the lost world has about the followers of Jesus Christ. 

Do we start calling ourselves be a new name (Communitites, Churchians, Be Excellent to Each Otherites).

No, the best we can do is loudly proclaim that we are Christians and do our best to let our Light Shine Before Men.  You don't change a "groups"  negative image by distancing yourself from it, you embrace the name and show what it should be!

In Spurgeon?s day did they criticize him for not having the name Baptist on his church?

bgwilkinson said:
In Spurgeon?s day did they criticize him for not having the name Baptist on his church?
I don't know, did they?

bgwilkinson said:

It drove the Twitter crowd nuts.

I don't criticize people for not having "Baptist" on their Church.  Who knows why it is not there?  However, removing "Baptist" shows a clear identity and direction. 

I would pastor a Church that never had Baptist in it's name....but I would not pastor a church that recently removed it (unless the pay was outstanding.... ;D)

cpizzle said:
(unless the pay was outstanding.... ;D)

Priorities.  It's all about priorities.

Identity crisis, perhaps?

"I was born Baptist, but I identify more as a community church, (but inside I'm still Baptist, but don't tell anyone.)"