Staff Who Left FBC / HAC

Tom Brennan said:
Bruh said:
I respect pastors but a man that starts a church plant with no support and has to work 8 or more hours a day to support his family while planting a church........my my my.......getting something going and keeping something going are two totally different things.

I've done both. They each have their own unique challenges and blessings. But I can probably best sum up my feelings by saying I would really not want to start a church again. It was all kinds of difficult.

"Keeping something going" ain't for the fainthearted either though...
I have started 2 churches and merged the second one that I started.  Still with it 10 years later by the grace of God.  Would love to start another if I had the health.

Lord willing we'll start a few more in my lifetime.

The challenge is "right in my wheelhouse".  (That's the phrase the cool kids upstairs use).

prophet said:

The challenge is "right in my wheelhouse".  (That's the phrase the cool kids upstairs use).

I thought we Hackers down here were the "cool kids"?
Man, I  should have known.

I've never been a "cool kid".

patriotic said:
prophet said:

I thought we Hackers down here were the "cool kids"?
Man, I  should have known.

I've never been a "cool kid".
You're right, it was Raider and Bruh saying "wheelhouse".

100% for Raider.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

Didnt Ken Schaap start that Church with 20-30 people who went with him from FBC?

Four or five families went there together to be the team that started the church. As I understood it, they spent much time asking for (and receiving) financial support ahead of time. This enabled Ken to not have to work, but the other men -- the teaching pastor, the children's pastor, and the tech guy --each  had to get regular jobs in addition to their new duties at the startup church.  There were waves and waves of people from First Baptist who regularly made the trip to Ohio to donate their services -- labor, materials -- to furbish the church.

Which is all fine, everyone can do what they want in their effort to serve the kingdom. But many other men had to start churches on their own without anywhere near the level of financial help and physical assistance. In my own opinion, Ken Schaap has had a lot handed to him over the years.

Of course I will be accused of being heartless, as his Dad sits in prison. Quite honestly,  I have not yet gotten to the point where I can feel sympathy. I think I will get there, but am not there yet.

I've seen church planting done both ways. I was a member of a startup for 4 years then joined another startup for about 2 years.

The first pastor spent about 9 months on deputation. He raised support and did not have to work a secular job. He received extra financial help that allowed him to obtain and remodel a nice building which he eventually bought. He received help from a church that sent people to knock doors with him.

The 2nd pastor went to the same area. He had no support whatsoever. He started his church in his living room. He had to mow lawns and his wife planted a garden and sold the produce to restaurants.

10 years later. Both pastors are full time. The 2nd church runs a little more in attendance. Both have bus ministries, etc.

The difference is the first pastor complains that everyone takes credit for what he did. True he put in the hard work, but he has to go to conferences and hear others tell how much they helped get him to where he is. He doesn't like that.

The truth is both did it the right way. God blessed both of them.

Tennessean said:
I've seen church planting done both ways. I was a member of a startup for 4 years then joined another startup for about 2 years.

The first pastor spent about 9 months on deputation. He raised support and did not have to work a secular job. He received extra financial help that allowed him to obtain and remodel a nice building which he eventually bought. He received help from a church that sent people to knock doors with him.

The 2nd pastor went to the same area. He had no support whatsoever. He started his church in his living room. He had to mow lawns and his wife planted a garden and sold the produce to restaurants.

10 years later. Both pastors are full time. The 2nd church runs a little more in attendance. Both have bus ministries, etc.

The difference is the first pastor complains that everyone takes credit for what he did. True he put in the hard work, but he has to go to conferences and hear others tell how much they helped get him to where he is. He doesn't like that.

Stolen Glory will ruin any man.  Not stolen from the pastor but stolen from God.  I tire of people wanting credit.  These are they that want to strut all over heaven wearing their crowns instead of casting them at Jesus feet.

TidesofTruth said:
Tennessean said:

Stolen Glory will ruin any man.  Not stolen from the pastor but stolen from God.  I tire of people wanting credit.  These are they that want to strut all over heaven wearing their crowns instead of casting them at Jesus feet.

Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan.

I disagree with WESLEY that because most of the former staff people from FBCH are not starting churches from  scratch that somehow Gods will for them / there plans are less than Kens.

On that same note though are any HAC graduates starting churches from scratch.

Can anyone name a "new" church started by a recent (since 2006 or so) HAC graduate.

sword said:
I disagree with WESLEY that because most of the former staff people from FBCH are not starting churches from  scratch that somehow Gods will for them / there plans are less than Kens.

Can anyone name a "new" church started by a recent (since 2006 or so) HAC graduate.

I'm not referencing just any graduates, I'm speaking about the Scott Grays and Stuart Mason types. I'll admit, I do not know these men personally, I only know them from a long distance.

That being said, my point is, if a man goes from plush to plush to plush.....IMO, that says something. I believe it's like anything else, it's who you know.

I have nothing against pastors kids, really I don't :) but any IFB church I've been in it seems the pastor thinks the only ones capable or called to be on staff is his kids :) and his kids are the ones having trouble finding jobs to support their family.  Are all IFB churches and pastors this way? Absolutely not!!

To me, these go hand and hand.

Bruh said:
sword said:

I'm not referencing just any graduates, I'm speaking about the Scott Grays and Stuart Mason types. I'll admit, I do not know these men personally, I only know them from a long distance.

That being said, my point is, if a man goes from plush to plush to plush.....IMO, that says something. I believe it's like anything else, it's who you know.

I have nothing against pastors kids, really I don't :) but any IFB church I've been in it seems the pastor thinks the only ones capable or called to be on staff is his kids :) and his kids are the ones having trouble finding jobs to support their family.  Are all IFB churches and pastors this way? Absolutely not!!

Why should HAC staff men go start churches when some mid sized or big church begs them to come?
Only shleps like me start churches cause no one else will hire us!

Bruh said:
sword said:

For many years the majority that started churches or left to pastor an existing church funneled through HAC.  Every once in a while there would be a staff member of FBCH or HAC that would leave for this purpose.  After Schaap took the reigns it seems that the number of staff members leaving for this purpose accelerated.  I'm sure that layoffs had a lot to do with this. 

Moderate/stable churches that are looking for a pastor should be looking for a man with experience, not a rookie so to speak. Faculty at a Bible college should have that kind of experience. I am not saying a faculty member would be wasting that experience to start a church for I cannot know God's will for his life, but I can say that it is eminently reasonable that a man with a good amount of experience should be matched to a mature church.

Rocco has been mentioned in passing....but he definitely is doing a fantastic job. 

I've said it before, but to go to NYC (okay, just outside, in WHITE PLAINS) and have a successful work...there aren't 3 guys on staff that could have done that. 

But few will give him credit because it doesn't have "Baptist" on the sign. 

CONSPIRATOR said:
Rocco has been mentioned in passing....but he definitely is doing a fantastic job. 

I've said it before, but to go to NYC (okay, just outside, in WHITE PLAINS) and have a successful work...there aren't 3 guys on staff that could have done that. 

But few will give him credit because it doesn't have "Baptist" on the sign.

Stinkin liberal!!

Tom Brennan said:
Moderate/stable churches that are looking for a pastor should be looking for a man with experience, not a rookie so to speak. Faculty at a Bible college should have that kind of experience. I am not saying a faculty member would be wasting that experience to start a church for I cannot know God's will for his life, but I can say that it is eminently reasonable that a man with a good amount of experience should be matched to a mature church.

I get what you're saying but these type guys start out plush and stay plush this says a lot to me a whole lot.

What have they proven? That they can stay at a plush job? Ok! Ask one of those guys to go do what you're doing, yeah right! They've never been where you been, people like the ones I'm referencing are the Bushs of the IFB.

Trust God for a pay check? Trust God to take a very small hand full of people and build them and reach others......they've taught in bible colleges taught young people that are for the most part on fire....I don't know maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not mad at these guys, but to hold them up.....ha! I'll take you Tom or my pastor who nobody knows and are content with that, no national stage and actually knows how to rightly divide the word of truth and knows how to interpret scripture properly and knows what it is to actually trust the Lord. The only thing y'all been given is what God himself has given and wasn't handed down because of who daddy is or because y'all are well known or have this big stage of influence.

:) LOL I'm not mad really I'm smiling as I type this on my phone.