Stealing Sermons

FundNoMore

Elect
Reaction score
I am not in the mainstream of IFB- dom as I used to be, but aside from dealing with my own church issues, I have heard of 3 cases of pastors stealing sermons that others preached. This has occurred in the last week, involving 3 different pastors from 3 different denominations (IFB, SBC, Pentacostal). Is this sort of thing wide spread these days?

I am not in the mainstream of IFB- dom as I used to be, but aside from dealing with my own church issues, I have heard of 3 cases of pastors stealing sermons that others preached. This has occurred in the last week, involving 3 different pastors from 3 different denominations (IFB, SBC, Pentacostal). Is this sort of thing wide spread these days?
In my opinion, YES, it is! But, then again...if the ones "stealing" these sermons would be told to "take them" anyhow...it's not really stealing...and I really don't know many preachers who would tell someone that they couldn't use a sermon.

Why is “stealing a sermon” a bad thing? Is every song sung in church on Sunday an original composition by the choir director?

Why is “stealing a sermon” a bad thing? Is every song sung in church on Sunday an original composition by the choir director?

One of the job requirements of the pastor is to be able to read and interpret the Scriptures, organize and structure his thoughts and arguments, and orate them clearly in a manner suitable for his audience. If he's just going to plagiarize the sermons, what does he even need to be there for? Let one of the Sunday-school kids read it and gain some valuable public-speaking skills.

By contrast, with the songs, it's well understood and assumed that they were written by someone else, which is why the church pays royalties to the composers through CCLI for the ones not yet in the public domain. If your church had an in-house songwriter who tried to pass off the Gettys' hymns as his own, you'd have the same issue.

Last edited:
I remember when the Plagiarism scandal came out regarding Litton and Greear and all I could think was REALLY? I can't recall how many times I have heard some HAC grad preaching "Fresh Oil" and the "Second Passover" or some PBI grad regurgitating one of Ruckman's "Chalk Talk" sermons! I thought "Stealing" or "Borrowing" sermons was a normal thing and I started doing the same thing - more time for "Soul Winning" if you don't have to be studying the Bible all the time!

Preachers who do such things not only cheat themselves but they are cheating their congregation and they will one day stand before God and give account for their deadbeat behavior!

I do catch myself at times repeating lines or catch-phrases from certain preachers I often listen to and admire but I do my best to give credit to the source.

One of the job requirements of the pastor is to be able to read and interpret the Scriptures, organize and structure his thoughts and arguments, and orate them clearly in a matter suitable for his audience. If he's just going to plagiarize the sermons, what does he even need to be there for? Let one of the Sunday-school kids read it and gain some valuable public-speaking skills.
I’d definitely have an issue with a pastor “borrowing” sermons on a weekly basis, however, if he occasionally gave a “canned sermon” and gave the author credit, I’d see no conflict. Also, I get the whole “inspiration” thing, but honestly, nearly everything in life was passed down in some form or another—even when we don’t realize it. (Cue Seinfeld - Puddy’s Ziggy bedsheets episode).

I’d definitely have an issue with a pastor “borrowing” sermons on a weekly basis, however, if he occasionally gave a “canned sermon” and gave the author credit, I’d see no conflict.
Why does he need to "borrow" someone else's canned sermons? Has he got none of his own he could rework?

I’d definitely have an issue with a pastor “borrowing” sermons on a weekly basis, however, if he occasionally gave a “canned sermon” and gave the author credit, I’d see no conflict. Also, I get the whole “inspiration” thing, but honestly, nearly everything in life was passed down in some form or another—even when we don’t realize it. (Cue Seinfeld - Puddy’s Ziggy bedsheets episode).
If you are going to "Polly Parrot" another person's sermon point for point, why not just play the audio or video of the original sermon for your congregation?

Nothing wrong with taking a couple of points or thoughts from another preacher. This is done all the time in academia but credit is always given to the source. In my opinion, the pastor needs to put the time and effort into sermon preparation because his people will KNOW that he has been slacking off!

I was teaching our Wednesday night study a couple months ago and part of my preparation was to listen to the pastor I've been posting links to. He had some really good illustrations which I used but I flat out told everyone, "this came from Pastor Paul". But I touched on things he didn't touch on. That's kind of difficult because he is very thorough.

Last edited:
Why does he need to "borrow" someone else's canned sermons? Has he got none of his own he could rework?
Hypothetically speaking. I’m pretty sure my pastor wouldn’t ever use one, but he certainly likes to talk about what others have said on the topic. For example, he might say “John MacArthur said…” or “Charles Spurgeon felt that…” or whatever.

For example, he might say “John MacArthur said…” or “Charles Spurgeon felt that…” or whatever.
Sure, but that's the opposite of plagiarism. He's found wisdom in MacArthur's or Spurgeon's work, and he's acknowledging that. Plus, he's taking their ideas and synthesizing them into a new sermon of his own. It's not like we expect pastors to produce wholly original dissertations every week. Just do your own research, write your own sermon, and don't leave the impression that someone else's ideas are your own.

There are many 'helps' to preachers available. The desire to serve as a bishop does not imply a hotline to God.

Please elaborate on what you mean by “stealing sermons”.

Word for.word preaching of another pastor's sermon.
I've known some preachers to do this, and then lie and say that the Lord had given it to them...that's about the time I told them I was notifying the deacons of their ruse! If there's one stolen sermon there's more!

Word for.word preaching of another pastor's sermon.
Years ago, on an early incarnation of the FFF, I remember someone posting that preacher boys of the Hyles camp were being taught not merely to repeat Jack's sermons, but to replicate them even down to the tone of voice and gestures.

If someone was coming from a culture where that kind of plagiarism was actively encouraged, I suppose it's understandable why they don't see a problem with it in other contexts either.

(Would something like this also explain why Jack Schaap always sounds like he's from Texas even though he's from Michigan?)

Would something like this also explain why Jack Schaap always sounds like he's from Texas even though he's from Michigan?)
I’ve met a handful of guys from the rural and southern parts of Michigan who do have a little bit of a twang to their speech. I’m not saying you’d confuse them with being from Mississippi or whatnot, but they do have a slight accent.

Many of the folks who settled in Michigan migrated from Kentucky during the Depression era and after WW2, so in those rural areas and small towns of Michigan with Kentucky migrants, I assume that’s the reason. See Hillbilly Highway: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly_Highway

I’ve met a handful of guys from the rural and southern parts of Michigan who do have a little bit of a twang to their speech. I’m not saying you’d confuse them with being from Mississippi or whatnot, but they do have a slight accent.
There is a kind of northern twang. Billy Sunday (from Iowa) had it. It's distinct from the Texas twang. But to my ears, Schaap sounds a lot more like Hyles (who came from the Fort Worth area) than Sunday. That's why I think the accent is affected rather than natural.

There is a kind of northern twang. Billy Sunday (from Iowa) had it. It's distinct from the Texas twang. But to my ears, Schaap sounds a lot more like Hyles (who came from the Fort Worth area) than Sunday. That's why I think the accent is affected rather than natural.
Back in college, I briefly dated a girl from central Michigan. She didn’t strike me as having any sort of accent, but I recall there were certain words she pronounced that were odd to me. The one word that really sticks out in my mind is how she pronounced button. I literally could never pronounce it the way she did, even when I really concentrated on trying to mimic her pronunciation.

Another college dating story involved a girl from Wyoming. Again, no discernible accent, but when I met her dad, I couldn’t get over the fact that he had a fairly strong southern sounding accent. Come to find out he worked for months at a time in the Texas oil fields and I guess after enough years of going back and forth to Texas, he just adopted some of the twang.