Steve Pettit: Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

Doesn’t this question answer the OP? “Should he stay or go?”

Since he is given to Finneyism, that is the most important consideration in my book!

Doesn’t this question answer the OP? “Should he stay or go?”

Since he is given to Finneyism, that is the most important consideration in my book!
It would be since you're a Calvinist. ;)

The BJU Board has decided to retain Steve Pettit as President:

Bob Jones University
@BJUedu

The Bob Jones University Board of Trustees is pleased to announce the re-election of Steve Pettit to a three-year term as President by an overwhelming majority on Thursday, November 17, 2022.

4:53 PM · Nov 17, 2022·Twitter Web App

Link:
I figured this would be the decision with the alternative being a hard right turn to 1980s fundamentalism and the reinstatement of an 83-year-old guy as president. Younger “fundamentalists” don’t share the same ideology as the older generation of fundamentalists. I’ve seen this firsthand. They do share the same overall value system and theology (in my opinion), but they don’t go in meltdown mode over movie theaters, light CCM, women wearing pants, preachers not wearing a tie during sermons, kids trick r’ treating, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Lou Martuneac weighs in on the decision to retain Pettit - and he's definitely not a happy camper about it:

• "Does this mean that the board now affirms the direction Dr. Pettit is taking the school or that the board was backed into a corner and succumbed to mob pressure?
  • "Will there be resignations from the school and board members who could not in good conscience vote to renew?
  • "How many more of BJU’s remaining original constituents will now be moving on?
  • "Having voted to retain Pettit, what assurances do we have that the school will not continue cooperating with ecumenicals like Franklin Graham?
  • "Will Pettit introduce drum kits and electric guitars into the worship music menu?
  • "Will Dr. Pettit feel emboldened to accelerate his erasure of BJU's fundamentalist foundations?
  • "Will Pettit and his administration push the university even farther to the left in a spirit of liberation (for them)?"

Meanwhile, it is interesting that Pettit is regarded as being Arminian and Finneyite, since David Cloud, Lou Martuneac and Robert Congdon have been griping that BJU under Pettit's leadership is going Calvinist. I have no information about Pettit's theology, and would be happy to hear from anyone who does. Comment from Martuneac's blog:

"Rick Patton5/05/2022 5:54 AM
Just prior to Dr. Pettit being installed as the new President, I had lunch with him and asked him point blank 'Do you believe God picks whom to save?' His immediate emphatic response was 'yes.'”

Lou Martuneac weighs in on the decision to retain Pettit - and he's definitely not a happy camper about it:

• "Does this mean that the board now affirms the direction Dr. Pettit is taking the school or that the board was backed into a corner and succumbed to mob pressure?
  • "Will there be resignations from the school and board members who could not in good conscience vote to renew?
  • "How many more of BJU’s remaining original constituents will now be moving on?
  • "Having voted to retain Pettit, what assurances do we have that the school will not continue cooperating with ecumenicals like Franklin Graham?
  • "Will Pettit introduce drum kits and electric guitars into the worship music menu?
  • "Will Dr. Pettit feel emboldened to accelerate his erasure of BJU's fundamentalist foundations?
  • "Will Pettit and his administration push the university even farther to the left in a spirit of liberation (for them)?"

Meanwhile, it is interesting that Pettit is regarded as being Arminian and Finneyite, since David Cloud, Lou Martuneac and Robert Congdon have been griping that BJU under Pettit's leadership is going Calvinist. I have no information about Pettit's theology, and would be happy to hear from anyone who does. Comment from Martuneac's blog:

Just prior to Dr. Pettit being installed as the new President, I had lunch with him and asked him point blank 'Do you believe God picks whom to save?' His immediate emphatic response was 'yes.'”
They’ll just send all of their kids to Pensacola Christian College 😏

Ask FSSL! He seems to know everything...or so he thinks. Not an attack on his character, but a true observation that he doesn't like anyone disagreeing with his viewpoint!

Petit, as a traveling revivalist, held meetings with people in the churches and was teaching how Finney’s measures were important.

All you have to do is sit through one of his invitations to realize the extreme persuasion and manipulation.

It’s not a secret. Sadly, this is not an issue for the leadership at BJU. They don’t like bluegrass… they should be appalled at the theology… but that is 1970s-styled fundamentalism.

According to Lou Martuneac on his anti-BJU "In Defense of the Gospel" blog, there are a lot of fundies who would prefer that BJU be closed down, rather than allowed to rock the fundamentalist casbah with their "compromise" on such vitally important issues as women's apparel (slacks, and shorts allowed for athletic activities) and music.

"Imo, the university's survivability is in doubt. If Pettit is retained the school will continue moving deeper into non-separatist evangelicalism and ecumenical compromise, which will make BJU the new Liberty University and Cedarville. Many would rather see the school close and dissolved before that happens."

Typical IFBx reaction to any ministry that does not totally agree with them on all points. Denounce it, destroy it, end it don't mend it.

I am not a Bojo fan, and actually I have an axe to grind against BJU after the run-ins I have had over the years with arrogant, bullying, obnoxious BJU grads. But even I can realize that BJU and its alumni have done a lot of good for the cause of fundamentalism - I was brought to Christ by one of them. I am not in favor of dumping Pettit and closing the school over these petty issues that fighting fundies are in such a rage about.
I came across a BJU congregation that was "In Transition" and really took a liking to the Pastor and many of the other members. They were going the "Reformed" route which would probably make them anathema to BoJos as well as the IFBx crowd who would rather you went "Word of Faith" or "Prosperity Gospel" than become a "Calvie" but I digress.

They were still conservative in their style of dress and music and were trying to figure out the proper boundaries and such. The Pastor wanted me to stick around and get a "Worship Team" going but I was already quite involved with the Filipino community. If I still lived in this particular part of the Houston area, I would seriously consider the congregation as a suitable home church!

In my opinion, they are just about the only ones whose music will last more than 10 years. Robin Mark has written some, but Getty and Kauflin are writing music that will outlast all the Fundy garbage being pushed.
Most "Fundies" I know of are already have "How Deep the Father's Love For Us" and "In Christ Alone" in their repertoire. Just like Squire Parsons and "Beulah Land!" Sure they use drums in their concerts but IFBx types get "Churched" for going to such concerts anyway so easy enough keeping the wagons circled! :cool:

Most "Fundies" I know of are already have "How Deep the Father's Love For Us" and "In Christ Alone" in their repertoire. Just like Squire Parsons and "Beulah Land!" Sure they use drums in their concerts but IFBx types get "Churched" for going to such concerts anyway so easy enough keeping the wagons circled! :cool:
Being somewhat sympathetic to traditionalist feelings, I still find those who shun modern worship standards such as those you've mentioned to miss out on great worship. These songs follow the same pattern as the great hymns of the past. Another song I would list among great hymns would be 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redmond. Who can keep from shouting "HALLELUJAH!" on the third stanza?

Being somewhat sympathetic to traditionalist feelings, I still find those who shun modern worship standards such as those you've mentioned to miss out on great worship. These songs follow the same pattern as the great hymns of the past. Another song I would list among great hymns would be 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redmond. Who can keep from shouting "HALLELUJAH!" on the third stanza?
I'm VERY sympathetic to traditionalist feelings! While IFBx goofballs are trying to slip in the garbage from Hillsong, Bethel, and Elevation, I am do everything I can to throw it out of my Church and keep it out! The Gettys, Sovereign Grace, and City Alight are my viable "Go To" options. Matt Redmon and Chris Tomlin used to be the standard and back in the day, they had some good stuff. I have been a huge Jars of Clay fan and often use their hymn arrangements but I have heard some things about their lead singer that is very troublesome and disappointing.

I'm VERY sympathetic to traditionalist feelings! While IFBx goofballs are trying to slip in the garbage from Hillsong, Bethel, and Elevation, I am do everything I can to throw it out of my Church and keep it out! The Gettys, Sovereign Grace, and City Alight are my viable "Go To" options. Matt Redmon and Chris Tomlin used to be the standard and back in the day, they had some good stuff. I have been a huge Jars of Clay fan and often use their hymn arrangements but I have heard some things about their lead singer that is very troublesome and disappointing.
Yup. Relying on humans is kina like leaning on a staff that breaks in your hand. I fully know what you mean especially with Jars. Much of the worship I am familiar with is probably pretty dated stuff by now. I used to listen to Christian radio stations for the latest music but the focus shifted more toward teaching. Stations that focused on music became very gimmicky with a lot of the "garbage" you referred to. I've also become very disillusioned with the "teaching" stations. About the only teaching program that has any "meat" is Thru The Bible with J. Vernon McGee.

This, along with the good teaching in my home church and my ministry in CMA has pushed me to get into the Word for myself more than I have, EVER. I am about to complete a chronological reading plan this year. I plan to start on a through the Bible in 90 days reading plan as soon as I'm done with this one.

Yes. Humans have always disappointed me. I do not shirk fellowship but I keep it in perspective. The Word has always been consistent.

Renegade, is this what you heard about Jars of Clay? Yes, very troublesome and disappointing - "The Shattering of Jars of Clay:"

Yup. Relying on humans is kina like leaning on a staff that breaks in your hand. I fully know what you mean especially with Jars. Much of the worship I am familiar with is probably pretty dated stuff by now. I used to listen to Christian radio stations for the latest music but the focus shifted more toward teaching. Stations that focused on music became very gimmicky with a lot of the "garbage" you referred to. I've also become very disillusioned with the "teaching" stations. About the only teaching program that has any "meat" is Thru The Bible with J. Vernon McGee.

This, along with the good teaching in my home church and my ministry in CMA has pushed me to get into the Word for myself more than I have, EVER. I am about to complete a chronological reading plan this year. I plan to start on a through the Bible in 90 days reading plan as soon as I'm done with this one.

Yes. Humans have always disappointed me. I do not shirk fellowship but I keep it in perspective. The Word has always been consistent.
KHCB here in Houston is about as good a station as any. Their only real downside is that they have Beth Moore later in the morning. KSBJ is the CCM station and it is absolute garbage with no discernment whatsoever. I think there are others now but I never listen to them.

I hardly listen to the radio station anyways. If I am not listening to my Pandora station, I have listening to teaching/preaching on the Refnet app which I highly recommend.

KHCB here in Houston is about as good a station as any. Their only real downside is that they have Beth Moore later in the morning. KSBJ is the CCM station and it is absolute garbage with no discernment whatsoever. I think there are others now but I never listen to them.

I hardly listen to the radio station anyways. If I am not listening to my Pandora station, I have listening to teaching/preaching on the Refnet app which I highly recommend.
If Refnet is "reformed," I don't need it. Thanks anyway! ;) LOL