Stupidest fundy argument ever

Anyone remember Blessed Union trying to claim that Chris Tomlin was singing "She became sin who knew no sin" in his song "Jesus Messiah," because of a little distortion in the microphone? I just ran across that thread and had a wave of nostalgia. Teh stupid, it burns!

Incidentally, the formatting of the Fleabag Forum appears to have exploded. What the bleep is up with this? Way to go, Dwayne! *clap clap*

Ransom said:
Incidentally, the formatting of the Fleabag Forum appears to have exploded. What the bleep is up with this? Way to go, Dwayne! *clap clap*

Funkadelic.  I could probably find an 8-yr-old neighbor who knows more about building and maintaining a site. 

The week following JFK's 1961 announcement that America would be "landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth" by the end of the decade of the 1960's, the pastor my dad was working for preached an entire sermon on why God would never allow man to go to the moon. (Harvey Springer, First Baptist Church, Englewood CO). 

In essence, he preached that there are three heavens, the terrestrial (earth), the celestial (outer space) and the third heaven (the Abode of God).  And, because God has ordained that man only inhabit the first heaven in our mortal bodies, that we would be prohibited from ever crossing into another "heaven" in our own power -- for that would be the sin of Babel -- ascending to heaven in the strength of man.

Sadly, Bro. Springer died in 1966, after being kicked by a horse, so he never had to address the space race making it to the moon.  I wonder if he would have kept to his guns (of which he had many!) and aligned himself with the "Did We Land on the Moon?" conspiracy theorists, or would he have recanted his earlier stand?

Either way, it was entertaining to be around him as a little kid. I was in awe of his 6' 7" height, booming voice, big hat, bigger boots and six shooters!

Wisdoms Friend said:
The week following JFK's 1961 announcement that America would be "landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth" by the end of the decade of the 1960's, the pastor my dad was working for preached an entire sermon on why God would never allow man to go to the moon. (Harvey Springer, First Baptist Church, Englewood CO). 

In essence, he preached that there are three heavens, the terrestrial (earth), the celestial (outer space) and the third heaven (the Abode of God).  And, because God has ordained that man only inhabit the first heaven in our mortal bodies, that we would be prohibited from ever crossing into another "heaven" in our own power -- for that would be the sin of Babel -- ascending to heaven in the strength of man.

Sadly, Bro. Springer died in 1966, after being kicked by a horse, so he never had to address the space race making it to the moon.  I wonder if he would have kept to his guns (of which he had many!) and aligned himself with the "Did We Land on the Moon?" conspiracy theorists, or would he have recanted his earlier stand?

Either way, it was entertaining to be around him as a little kid. I was in awe of his 6' 7" height, booming voice, big hat, bigger boots and six shooters!

Cool story!  8)

I'm just curious about one thing. He was a big guy, with a big voice, a big hat and bigger boots, and six shooters... but did he have cattle?  ;)

This thread is a great place to find sermon ideas!
Can't wait to try out some of these doctrines that I missed while attending HAC.

Keep it going!

weaker-brother said:
Keep it going!

Here's one for ya (maybe someone already covered this, but it's worth a repeat):

"Avoid all appearance of evil" means you must never do anything that anyone could misinterpret as participating in or condoning sin.  For example, don't drink wine or ever spend any time with people who do.  And make sure you're never seen with a tax collector or prostitute.  Don't go to weddings, since there is much drinking there.  And for heaven's sake, don't provide wine for a wedding. 

Castor Muscular said:
weaker-brother said:
Keep it going!

Here's one for ya (maybe someone already covered this, but it's worth a repeat):

"Avoid all appearance of evil" means you must never do anything that anyone could misinterpret as participating in or condoning sin.  For example, don't drink wine or ever spend any time with people who do.  And make sure you're never seen with a tax collector or prostitute.  Don't go to weddings, since there is much drinking there.  And for heaven's sake, don't provide wine for a wedding.
yup, this is a true fundy staple.  I always tried to respond with "The word 'evil' has a definition.  It means 'harmful, with intent, malicious, purposefully destructive, especially of human life'  and : 'God can do evil, but God can't sin, so the two words can't be synonymous.'  But true fundies never bat an eyelash.  They respond with' well we wouldn't want anyone to think we were sinning, would we?'
No wonder their neighbors never get saved!

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

Castor Muscular said:
weaker-brother said:
Keep it going!

Sounds like somebody missed their AA meeting.

Binaca Chugger said:
Castor Muscular said:
weaker-brother said:
Keep it going!

What?  You think Jesus was an AA member? 

Well, since they're anonymous, I guess we'll never know.

Binaca Chugger said:
Castor Muscular said:
weaker-brother said:
Keep it going!

I think you missed the point BC

Binaca Chugger said:

And their last decade or so of gathering with the body of Christ.

ALAYMAN said:
Binaca Chugger said:

And their last decade or so of gathering with the body of Christ.
OOOOOOOOOOooooooooo slam!

OOOOOOOooooooo dunk!

Castor Muscular said:
Ransom said:
Frankly, when your pastor's sermons start to sound like the foot-rub discussion scene from Pulp Fiction, it's probably time to strike a search committee.

Never saw it. 

EDIT:  I just watched the scene on youtube.  I get what you mean now.

But it's not a date, it's definitely not a date.

Castor Muscular said:
Thanks, in part, to "Christians" like you.

That's nothing more than a pathetic excuse for disobedience to the One who said "why do you call me Lord but not obey me".

What about the One who said, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven"?

rsc2a said:
What about the One who said, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven"?

lol, yeah, that's a good retort to pointing out the gross perpetual disobedience of a professing brother in Christ. 

Or maybe not.

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:

lol, yeah, that's a good retort to pointing out the gross perpetual disobedience of a professing brother in Christ. 

Or maybe not.

The Lord already knows me and knows that there is nothing good in me.  Laguna de Bay of the Philippines, jokingly referred to as the largest septic tank in the world, however, is not big enough to contain all the craps I do not give about what you think of me, what you think you know about me, or what it would take to correct your perceptions.