The arrogance and false teaching of G. A. Riplinger

There wasn't. The Geneva Bible, with its Calvinistic footnotes and association with Presbyterianism, offended the Anglican bishops, who were largely High Church. They published the Bishops' Bible in 1568 to compete with it. The Bishops' Bible was actually of poorer quality than the Geneva; hence the need for the Authorized Version, which was an improvement over both.

But the KJV came about because of church politics, not specifically to improve upon the Geneva Bible. The latter actually continued to outsell the former for a time, before James I effectively outlawed its publication.

I consider the Geneva Bible as the people's Bible because it was popular. I do like your statement that the Authorized Version was an "improvement over both".

But my real point was that it is absurd to claim that the Geneva or Bishop's Bibles were "perfect", and they were improved with the AV.

But my real point was that it is absurd to claim that the Geneva or Bishop's Bibles were "perfect", and they were improved with the AV.
Absolutely correct. Of course, it is equally absurd to claim the AV was "perfect" as well. There's no reason, theological, historical, or just plain rational, to believe the AV was the final word (no pun intended) on English Bible translation or that it cannot be improved upon, either. At the very least, in 100 or so years (if the Lord delays) it may well be as incomprehensible to contemporary English speakers as Chaucer or Wycliffe is today.

Absolutely correct. Of course, it is equally absurd to claim the AV was "perfect" as well. There's no reason, theological, historical, or just plain rational, to believe the AV was the final word (no pun intended) on English Bible translation or that it cannot be improved upon, either. At the very least, in 100 or so years (if the Lord delays) it may well be as incomprehensible to contemporary English speakers as Chaucer or Wycliffe is today.

Agreed. David Cloud (I know many on here don't like him), but he has had to teach English to non-English speakers, and he has said that there are some obsolete words in the KJV that make it difficult for non-native speakers. He has said that the AV could be improved upon (he just thinks it unlikely in this apostate age, and I agree with his assessment).

I like the statement that the AV was made with superior manuscripts by superior men using superior methods.

Gail Riplinger maintained that the earlier English Bibles such as Tyndale's and the Geneva are "practically identical to the KJV" (Language of the KJB, p. 5). Riplinger also wrote: “The Geneva text is almost identical to the KJV” (In Awe of thy Word, p. 566). Riplinger asserted that “generally speaking, the early English Bibles are the same” (p. 130; Hidden History, p. 37). Riplinger asserted that “the words that differ in the early English Bibles are pure synonyms” (In Awe of Thy Word, p. 859). Riplinger maintained that “both the Bishops’ and the KJV are literal, word-for-word renderings of the Greek text and show all words, even if they seem repetitive” (p. 288).

Riplinger even indicated that those previous early English Bibles “were no less perfect, pure, and true than the KJB” (Hidden History of the English Scriptures, p. 59). Riplinger asserted that the Geneva “follows the traditional text underlying the King James Version” (Which Bible Is God‘s Word, p. 51).
Riplinger described the English translation in the 1599 Nuremberg Polyglot [which was an edition of the Geneva Bible] as “pure” and as “the Bible before the KJV of 1611” (In Awe of Thy Word, pp. 41, 1048, 1052-1108).
Riplinger claimed: “According to the rules of translation, the [KJV] translators’ final authority was early English Bibles, particularly the Bishops’” (Hidden History, p. 41).

I like the statement that the AV was made with superior manuscripts by superior men using superior methods.

You may like the statement, but that does not mean that the statement is true.

There are other English Bible translations that are based on the same original-language manuscript copies as the KJV is.

It has not been demonstrated that the Church of England makers of the KJV were actually "superior" men. How were the KJV translators supposedly superior to other believers? Their Church of England doctrinal views were not superior to the doctrinal views of some other Bible translators.

The biased rules for the making of the KJV have not been demonstrated to be superior methods. One of the incorrect rules may have led to or contributed to Church of England episcopal bias in some places. Having Archbishop Richard Bancroft as overseer over the translating is not a superior method.

You may like the statement, but that does not mean that the statement is true.

That is so very true. Nevertheless, I also believe it to be true.

There are other English Bible translations that are based on the same original-language manuscript copies as the KJV is.

It has not been demonstrated that the Church of England makers of the KJV were actually "superior" men. How were the KJV translators supposedly superior to other believers? Their Church of England doctrinal views were not superior to the doctrinal views of some other Bible translators.

It may have been better to say "superior scholarship"... you must admit that the credentials of the men who worked on the AV are very impressive. Lancelot Andrews could speak 15 languages. Miles Smith knew Hebrew, Chaldee, Syrian, and Arabic nearly as well as English. This is just two men... I'm not sure there have been many translation teams made up of such people.

The biased rules for the making of the KJV have not been demonstrated to be superior methods. One of the incorrect rules may have led to or contributed to Church of England episcopal bias in some places. Having Archbishop Richard Bancroft as overseer over the translating is not a superior method.

I have heard that such was the case, but again, I was primarily thinking of the verbal and formal equivalence used as opposed to the modern tendency to use dynamic equivalence.

It may have been better to say "superior scholarship"... you must admit that the credentials of the men who worked on the AV are very impressive. Lancelot Andrews could speak 15 languages. Miles Smith knew Hebrew, Chaldee, Syrian, and Arabic nearly as well as English. This is just two men... I'm not sure there have been many translation teams made up of such people.

The claimed credentials of the Church of England makers of the KJV may seem very impressive, but their scholarship was still limited and imperfect. Human scholarship does not result in perfection.

The KJV translators were primarily Latin scholars first, and they often translated through the medium of Latin. Their Hebrew scholarship or Greek scholarship was usually lesser than their Latin scholarship. The KJV translators had Hebrew-Latin OT lexicons and Greek-Latin NT lexicons, and they did not have any Hebrew-English lexicons or Greek-English lexicons. Many of the Latin definitions in their lexicons came from the Roman Catholic Latin Vulgate. Their knowledge of Greek is said to have been in classical Greek, not in the Koine Greek of the NT.

KJV-only defenders are incorrect and even unscriptural when they try to suggest that the KJV translators were superior in every way to other believers before and after them. There is no respect of persons or partiality with God.

The facts are clear that the KJV translators were certainly not superior to the prophets and apostles who were given the Scriptures, nor were they superior to William Tyndale and the translators of the Geneva Bible, neither are they superior to the many Baptist scholars throughout history and to all believers today who are guided into the truth by the Holy Spirit.

Professing believers like Hans Denk, Wiliam Farel, Martin Luther, Francisco de Enzinas, Casidoro de Reina, Cipriano de Valera, Pierre Robert Olivetan, William Tyndale, John Rogers, Miles Coverdale, John Knox, William Whittingham, Anthony Gilby, Thomas Sampson, William Cole, Christopher Goodman, William Kethe, Theodore Beza, Peter Viret, John Ponet, Andrew Melville, James Melville, Hugh Broughton, Thomas Cartwright, Thomas Wilcox, William Ames, William Perkins, William Fulke, William Whitaker, Richard Greeham, James Ussher, Ambrose Ussher, Laurence Humphrey, Laurence Tomson, John Diodati, Samuel Bochart, Leonard Busher, Henry Jessey, John Owen, George Hughes, Emund Castell, William Twisse, William Gouge, Thomas Goodwin, Thomas Gataker, Jeremiah Burroughes, George Gillespie, Joseph Caryl, William Bridge, Sydrach Simpson, Edward Reynolds, Stephen Marshall, Edmund Calamy the Elder, Henry Scudder, Theodore Haak, John Lightfoot, John Ley, John Wallis, John Bunyan, John Milton, John Cotton, John Eliot, Richard Mather, Increase Mather, Cotton Mather, Thomas Hooker, Richard Baxter, John Wesley, William Carey, Adoniram Judson, Benjamin Keach, John Gill, Charles Spurgeon, Alexander Carson, Noah Webster, Samuel Aaron, David Bernard, Asahel C. Kendrick, William Wyckoff, Thomas J. Conant, Spencer Cone, Horatio B. Hackett, John L. Dagg, Augustus Strong, John A. Broadus, Robert Young, John Nelson Darby, Charles Hodge, R. A. Torrey, J. Gresham Machen, and many others were not inferior to the KJV translators. These men were not perfect in scholarship but neither were the KJV translators.

Often, a person who is thought to have lesser intelligence or scholarship to those considered "superior" scholars can find a mistake or error made and overlooked by them. It was likely a person with claimed lesser intelligence or scholarship that discovered and pointed out some errors that the "superior" KJV translators had left uncorrected from the 1602 edition of the Bishops' Bible in the 1611 edition of the KJV.

Perhaps computers with their search capabilities can more than make up for any assumed lack of head knowledge on the part of present-day Bible translation teams.